Vintage Audio News

Discussion in 'The Magazine Forum' started by audionut373, Feb 11, 2017.

1. audionut373

audionut373 Member

With the popularity of vintage audio, I don't understand why none of the current print audio magazines have a column dedicated to vintage equipment. I think that they are missing out on a rather significant audience that would subscribe if they did. :confused:

2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

1) It's used equipment
    2) It's only popular here, not many people in the general population uses old equipment. You might have a few city wide in ones area, and the old folks that still have a stereo they bought 40 years ago and don't use much.

What's the worlds population? 7.5 million maybe 8 mill now. AK has 250,000 members worldwide. Lets say 10x that have old equipment in use that are not here. Then the fact a publication would be only in one country.

Anyway the long and short of it, no sponsors for used equipment and not enough interest.

3. audionut373

audionut373 Member

Well, smart ass, I have to heartily disagree that not many people in the general population use vintage equipment. All one has to do is look at the Marantz, Sansui and Pioneer blogs here to see that there is a large portion of the membership here that is into vintage! (By the way, the population of the world is in the billions, not millions! :D) The majority of the posts are about vintage versions of those marks. Also, I was not talking about mags published outside the US. I think that Stereophile and Absolute Sound could benefit from having columns on vintage gear. :lurk:

4. HTHMAN

HTHMAN Super Member

I have collected vintage cameras over the years. Modern Photography used to have column titled The Camera Collector. I found it very interesting and very helpful in identifying and giving me history on some of the pieces I had collected over the years. It was a main reason that I kept subscribing to the magazine. I for one would read a monthly column like that with great interest. There are probably a lot more people that invest in vintage gear than invest in ultra high end gear, but that gets covered all the time.

FOH Engineer likes this.
  5. FOH Engineer

FOH Engineer Well-Known Member

That would absolutely be a great read...The English hi fi mags are so well done that it's a shame we don't have a healthier culture for hi fi in print over here. It's either ultra high end ( that often has no widespread resale interest or decent resale value, unlike vintage Marantz , Pioneer, etc. that still brings nice prices.) Regardless of vintage gears performance plus or minus it has a huge following and tons of existing restoration stories, searching for a certain elusive piece stories and interest in product that's still in use...throw in vinyl reviews, tape advice, recone projects, and it sounds like a winner to me.

audionut373 likes this.
  6. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

That's what I like about people on this site.....

They just write the first thing that comes to their heads !

Billion....

China has over 1.2 billion people alone !