Vintage audio repair Kansas City area

Another note for repair in KC. I used Brian at AudioMart...(a block away from Electronic Service Center) to repair my SX950. I used some bozo named Tony Manzo who took six months to "fix" my problem. As confirmed and fixed by Brian, Manzo didn't do squat. Brian had it fixed in several days and it has been running great ever since...about 6 months now. As a side note...I also left with Tony Manzo my Pilot amp. He has never returned it, he has moved AND changed phone numbers...and won't return any communications I have tried to make with him. Stay away from this guy if you encounter him. He is a thief.

Hey guys, know this an old thread, but being located in Blue Springs, MO of the Kansas City metro, I thought I should contribute. It's not often a thread involves your exact city location! Electronics Center is a great choice if you live in Overland Park, KS or Johnson County, and if you live more towards Kansas City, Independence, Lee's Summit or Blue Springs, we are more than happy to help you at the Vintage Turntable & Stereo shop, http://vintageturntableandstereo.com/ for any future requests. I have also heard good things about Vinyl Renaissance, which is also located in Overland Park of the KCMO area. Hope one of those shops are close to you and can help for any future requests. Long live Vintage Audio!

Just drove up from Wichita today to drop off a Marantz 2250 for a restoration, and Sansui SR 929 for a go through and tune up. I went with Vintage Turntable and Stereo. Fingers crossed it all turns out. We don't have a lot of options here in Wichita. I have Pioneer SX1050 that I need to get a restoration on. I may try out one of the other options mentioned here. I'll return with feedback when I get my gear back.

Just drove up from Wichita today to drop off a Marantz 2250 for a restoration, and Sansui SR 929 for a go through and tune up. I went with Vintage Turntable and Stereo. Fingers crossed it all turns out. We don't have a lot of options here in Wichita. I have Pioneer SX1050 that I need to get a restoration on. I may try out one of the other options mentioned here. I'll return with feedback when I get my gear back.

Greetings Justin,
I have been using Many Moons Audio in Tulsa (http://www.manymoonsaudio.com) for recap/restore of Marantz 2330B and Pioneer SX-980 thus far. I've been EXTREMELY pleased with the results. Although Paul Hovenga & Co. are a bit slow - six months per unit - the results have been worth the wait for me. The cost varies per unit, but generally $600 - $750, plus my shipping from KCMO.
Prior to finding Many Moons, I used The Electronic Center (OPKS) and Vinyl Renaissance (ShawneeKS) with so-so results; good for repairs, but they aren't interested in teardown/rebuild. Please let us know how Vintage Turntable & Stereo work for you.
My $.02,
RJ

Jim called me yesterday. He said it would be 695 for a total restoration and LEDs. Along with a 5 year warranty. Sounds like it will be around 3 weeks. Ill keep you updated. I also have a SX1050 I want to get reworked. I may explore other options, but will see what happens here.

I took a Marantz 2250B and a Sansui SR 929 to Jim’s TV repair, AKA Vintage Turntable and Stereo. I got my stuff back on the 16th. I wasn't happy with the situation and I came on here to vent. I deleted my post from last night. I Would not use them again. I would not recommend them to anyone. If you want details you can PM me.

Last edited:
For service in this neck of the woods you can add me to the list of people recommending Many Moons Audio in Tulsa. Just picked up my TX-6500MKII and it sounds great. Excellent workmanship, very reasonable cost, and Paul Hovenga is just a really nice guy to do business with. I could not be happier. Tulsa is a pretty easy road trip from Wichita. Nice to have my Onkyo running like new again!

IMG_0875.jpg

For service in this neck of the woods you can add me to the list of people recommending Many Moons Audio in Tulsa. Just picked up my TX-6500MKII and it sounds great. Excellent workmanship, very reasonable cost, and Paul Hovenga is just a really nice guy to do business with. I could not be happier. Tulsa is a pretty easy road trip from Wichita. Nice to have my Onkyo running like new again!

View attachment 1249386
Very happy with Pauls work. Tulsa is also a good place to get work done on your speakers and turntables too.

I have a Rotel preamp that dropped a channel. I was heading through KC on Friday so I called the two most likely places to see if I could drop it off. I talked to Audiomart (probably Brian) who said he was planning to 'open up the list' (I assume the waiting list) again in May. I didn't ask how long the wait might be after that! I guess they do Marantz warranty work, only one of 12 shops in the US. I asked if he had trouble finding extra help and he said "Yeah, there's NOBODY out there to hire!"

The other one close by, Electronic Center, said "the wait time is currently 8 months."

Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom