Vintage CDPs, or DACs & DVD/CDPs, or modern CDPs?

CD playback- what's your chosen hardware layout?

• Total voters
Not sure how to vote. What do I check for a Carver SD/A 490t tube deck and a Marantz PMD 325 with a Number Cruncher 205.2 DAC?

Which do you like better?
The Marantz Professional series decks have very nice transports, but overall, I tend to prefer the Carver. Those tubes just make listening to a wide variety of music a lot less fatiguing. The Soft EQ is especially nice for first generation CDs.

Nope, sadly, Yamaha doesn't make their tanks anymore, they do offer the SACD player and I have that as well but its' a far cry from their previous pure CD only offerings.

Yep, we have to go elsewhere for it now.

I like my Nakamichi's I now have 3 fully functional OMS-4's and a OMS-7

I'm very happy with my vintage Yamaha CD players. I think they compare favorably to my vinyl rig.

I'm very happy with my vintage Yamaha CD players. I think they compare favorably to my vinyl rig.

:tresbon:

Fully agreed, actually I impressed a die hard vinyl only friend of mine, this guy is a pure vinyl freak, has a Lafayette and Grado and has a collection of almost 3000 LPs, I invited him over and he was truly bowled over by the soft sweet sound from the Yamaha CDP.

Yamaha CDX-XXXX players have worked for me. If I had the money I'd buy new but I cannot afford one that is built as well as the old CDX-XXXX line.

BTW- Paul, what are you using as you rmain CDP now?

Eric,

I raffled off the Yamaha CD-x1 I was listening to. It's sad to see it go.

I've got two problematic Sony CDP 308ESD models, both need repair. A Denon DCD 1500 II that needs repair. Three Sony C75ES changers, that need a bit of attention.

My low-end CD players, a Sony CDP-491 and a Teac (forget the model) are the only two that work properly right now. Go figure.

Oh, that Yamaha 5-disc changer I mentioned to you was fed a handfull of coins and cardboard index cards by mt friend's 3 year old. Did a number on it.

And my Mitsubishi 5 disc cartridge changer pooped the bed last week as well.

Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom