Vintage EL84 PP mono block ID

bob smog

Creebling at the Turntables
I have a pair of these. I found them inside some weird upward firing speakers (each speaker had its own amp)

They are not Heathkits.

Tubes are 12ax7 (2) EL84 (2) 5Y3

Any ideas?

3369713366_303e0cdd42.jpg

No idea but they look like nice amplifiers. I see a good size transformer and lots of filtering.

Those have potential. I second the thought of getting any numbers you can find off the output transformer.

I'll take a look on the transformers - good idea!

Cabs are long gone - I got these back in 1986!

Looks like a nicely made custom amp, painted heathkit gold. Not unusual to the era when many amps were custom made for home or studio installation.

Those have potential. I second the thought of getting any numbers you can find off the output transformer.

Super-late reply - finally dug them out of storage. No numbers on transformers....

I did run across an archived Ebay listing and found a pic of another. Different rectifier installed and a Gibson knob, but definitely the same amp. Described in the listing as a "Fisher" - doubtful.

38968578485_9ab9734ec1_m.jpg

A few years back, I saw another one posted on Ebay and a bare chassis with transformers, so at least 5 of these exist. Not homebrew or a kit.

Could be a DIY magazine article from the 50's or 60's. "Build your Own Ampilifier" . I miss all the magazines available back then.

Not a diy and definitely not a fisher. Thanks for the guesses - I'm stumped too.

Has riveted construction and the remains of a factory build tag riveted to the chassis of each.

Upward firing? Could those have been some sort of powered Lowthers? If so, where's the rest of them?!?

Back
Top Bottom