Vintage film cameras

I have so much for the LX system and many rare almost impossible to find parts, some still like new in boxes. Many component can cross over to the MX as well, like I said before, the motor drive battery packs, chargers and triggers all use the same wiring cables. mostly all the flash systems are compatible. The only thing is you'll probably never find a MX Motor Drive.

IMG_0769.JPG IMG_0770.JPG IMG_0771.JPG IMG_0772.JPG

Let me just say something here, Canon auto focus cameras and manual focus Pentax go together very well. Even the 6x7, 67, 645 and 35mm Pentax cameras go together good.

You can use the larger medium format lenses on the 35mm cameras, the 6x7 will work on the 645 and 35mm with Pentax adaptors.

Now take this a little further, there are some very nice adaptors that will put a Pentax lens on a Canon digital body with very good aperture priority. Most people will go out and get some Pentax 35mm lenses to use on a digital Canon camera. Lenses have a sweet spot at the very center of the lens in relation to the focal plain size. If you use a medium format lens on a 35mm camera you have a much larger sweet spot.

How about using a medium format film lens on a digital camera that has a smaller format than 35mm.

The following are shots taken goofing off in my yard testing my Pentax 6X7 135 macro lens, adaptors and Canon 50D. All the shots are hand held, and it was so long ago I don't remember what it was set at.

IMG_7646.JPG IMG_7646 2.jpg IMG_7645.jpg IMG_7635.jpg IMG_7658.JPG

The big kicker is the 6x7 135mm lenses only cost around $75 - $125. I had a Canon L 180mm macro lens that I never felt took as clean of shots, it was a bit easier to use, but come on $100 vintage macro shooting this good. You also don't need to shoot it macro either, and the hole system of lenses can be used.

IMG_7672.JPG IMG_7674.jpg IMG_7673.JPG

That 135-600 lens is awesome 4-2-7.
I bet it weighs a fair amount too.
Thanks again for sharing.
Yeah it weighs a bit as does my 6x7 medium format 600mm lens, it has a 6 inch piece of glass in it. You need gimbal tripod heads to handle the weight their like gun turrets.

600-wim-side.jpg New-Professional-Aluminum-font-b-Gimbal-b-font-font-b-Tripod-b-font-font-b-Head.jpg

I bought one of these in 1998 also the Canon EOS IX. I'll just say it, prior to digital this little camera was just fricken awesome. A new film and thinking came about, ABS film was in between 110 and 35mm in size, it was a cartridge and the film since you did not handle it was very thin. This let it lay extremely flat giving superb sharpness to the photos. It was night and day better than 35mm, like going from a tube TV to high rez flat screen with HD. In fact when you shot people you would see the pours on their face.

View attachment 867344 View attachment 867345 View attachment 867347 View attachment 867348 View attachment 867350

At the time there was other cool things about the film, mid roll film change. you could pull the roll out then when you put it back in it would advance to where you left off. After processing the negs would stay in the cartridge, they had a machine you could hook to your TV to view the cartridge roll. How cool is that? then came digital...

I remember when that camera and the APS system came out. I always wanted that model in particular. In fact, I may still have a Canon IX brochure somewhere. At the time I thought that was one of the coolest-looking cameras on the market, and I remember thinking how innovative and versatile the format was. Unfortunately, I was only in my teens, was broke most of the time, and had other teenaged financial priorities when I did have money, so I never did get one. lol It would be neat to have one just to revisit the enthusiasm I had for it back in the day. Is APS film even available anymore? Are there even any places left that do photofinishing for the APS format? Or is it pretty much dead?

I remember when that camera and the APS system came out. I always wanted that model in particular. In fact, I may still have a Canon IX brochure somewhere. At the time I thought that was one of the coolest-looking cameras on the market, and I remember thinking how innovative and versatile the format was. Unfortunately, I was only in my teens, was broke most of the time, and had other teenaged financial priorities when I did have money, so I never did get one. lol It would be neat to have one just to revisit the enthusiasm I had for it back in the day. Is APS film even available anymore? Are there even any places left that do photofinishing for the APS format? Or is it pretty much dead?
You can find APS film on the bay, I have a bunch in the freezer. I haven't had any developed in many years, but as I remember you didn't need a special place or machine. Well they may have needed a feeder attachment to load it in a standard machine.

Another cool aspect was panoramic shooting where as the shot would take up two frames of the film. When printed you would not see a splice at all, I'll see about scanning a few I have and post them.

I forgot what I paid when they where new but it was pricy, like maybe $800

You can find APS film on the bay, I have a bunch in the freezer. I haven't had any developed in many years, but as I remember you didn't need a special place or machine. Well they may have needed a feeder attachment to load it in a standard machine.

Another cool aspect was panoramic shooting where as the shot would take up two frames of the film. When printed you would not see a splice at all, I'll see about scanning a few I have and post them.

Darn, I might have to skip the idea of picking one up if they aren't making film for it anymore. :( I remember the panoramic feature and thought about how cool it was to be able to seamlessly shoot panoramas along with normal sized frames. I'd like to see some of your shots with it though. :)

The panoramic mode did not use two frames - it was a single frame with the height reduced, then enlarged to a wider print.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System

Sigma lens was delivered today.All systems are go on the me.
Can't read the focal length on it.
Do you have a flash for it yet?

Now this might not work for you as you like Russian cameras but if you start buying Japanese it can. When I didn't have much money to put into camera systems in the 90s but I had maybe 5 different brand bodies, I built one lens system for all of them instead of lenses for each.

Tamron manual focus lenses had what was called adapt all, in other words their lens fit a wide rang of cameras. You bought the lens you wanted and then the mount you needed for the camera. When you got another type of body you just had to buy the mount for it saving a ton of money. It also helped out when hiking around taking photos, different bodies with different film and you just need a few lenses for all of them.

And don't forget they make adaptors to mount manual focus lenses on your Nikon digital camera.

Last edited:
4-2-7 its a sigma 1:4-5 f=75-250mm .Yes i have a tamron lens a page or 2 back with the adaptal mount for the 42mm screw mount cameras.I have another sigma 28-85mm macro lens that hasnt arrived yet also in k mount for the ME.Both were ordered before you had sent me the p.m.I suppose when im finally done id like to have at least one example of most manufactures if i could.yashica,chinon.cannon,fed,zorki,leica,kodak,afga,etc.

My small Cokin filter collection.

View attachment 868878
I think I still have some if those but I did abandoned them. While they have two sizes they still didn't cover big lenses for me. So the choice for me was to go with Lee Filter system for rectangle / square, and then of corse screw on type. Funny I was going to take some photos of some of that. Some say filters are only for film but I disagree, digital also needs some, at a minimal Graduating Neutral Density and ND, Polaroid. You can't fix or adjust if something is not captured in the first place. If reflection, brightness washes out or darkens half the photo no amount of post proses will fix whats not there.

Back
Top Bottom