Vintage film cameras

New member of the family:

R0010980.jpg

I can remember the first eclipse I ever witnessed way back in the '60's. Dad had a big heavy cardboard tube about 6' long that we put some aluminum foil over the end of. Put a hole in the aluminum with a pin. Then aimed the tube at the sun and looked at the image projected on the ground. Pretty cool way to see it without risking our eye sight.

I can remember the first eclipse I ever witnessed way back in the '60's. Dad had a big heavy cardboard tube about 6' long that we put some aluminum foil over the end of. Put a hole in the aluminum with a pin. Then aimed the tube at the sun and looked at the image projected on the ground. Pretty cool way to see it without risking our eye sight.
Yes, that Cheerios box has the pinhole and some white paper in the back with a peep-hole to view the image. That is how I followed the eclipse.

View attachment 1350722 View attachment 1350721 My Zeiss Super Ikonta 532/16. Still works great.
That is a real beauty. The reason I eventually got the Horseman technical camera is that I had been doing a lot of work with the Kodak folding cameras and was frustrated with estimation focus and the limited shutters and poor optics. I wonder if people viewing the thread realize what you have. Rangefinder focusing and a f2.8 Zeiss lens are features other folding cameras only dream of!

IMG_20181220_140050.jpg The first model of Pentax. 1957 Asahi Pentax with 55mm f2.2 preset Takumar lens. Fast speed dial 1/50th to 1/500th second. Slow speed dial 1 second to 1/25 second plus T. First 35mm reflex camera with fixed pentaprism, first with top right mounted lever wind, first with crank rewind. Asahi previously pioneered the instant mirror return on the Asahiflex, and that feature continues here. Arguably, this is the first modern 35mm SLR.

Last edited:
IMG_20181221_084132.jpg The next screw mount Pentax model. Model K from 1959, with semi-auto 55mm f1.8 Auto Takumar lens that allows you to focus with the lens wide open even after you have selected the shooting aperture. You have to cock the lens, focus, cock the shutter (not necessarily in that order) and when you hit the shutter release, the diaphragm stops down to whatever you had set it at. Not exactly a huge improvement over the earlier preset lenses, but still a move in the right direction. Needless to say, the Model K was not made for long. Still has separate slow shutter speed dial, but speeds have been changed to a more modern progression (1/30, 1/60, 1/125 and so on.)

Last edited:
View attachment 1364852 1893 Jules Richard Verascope. Stereoscopic camera with two Krauss Paris Tessar lenses using Waterhouse stops. First 35 mm camera with an automatic frame counter. Uses glass plates or film held in metal clips. Has both reflex and gunsight viewfinders.

That’s cool! Never seen one of those. Does yours work? Would love to see some sample shots.

I don't know if it still works. I cut some sheet film and took a few shots with the camera nearly 50 years ago when I first found it in a thrift shop in the basement of Dodge Hall at Columbia University in New York. It did work then, but has remained a shelf trophy ever since. I have no idea what happened to the test shots.

I don't know if it still works. I cut some sheet film and took a few shots with the camera nearly 50 years ago when I first found it in a thrift shop in the basement of Dodge Hall at Columbia University in New York. It did work then, but has remained a shelf trophy ever since. I have no idea what happened to the test shots.

That’s a shame. Beautiful piece though

Back
Top Bottom