Vintage Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys!!

Its a .20 over low milage block. It was clean when it was opened up no sludge, barely any carbon on pistons. I sold the stock pistons lol. It was nearly within spec to run with stock pistons and rings. Bearing journals are within spec: rods (C7AE) on high end of spec and mains well within.
I have C3AE-C heads from the 300 horse 390, ported and shaved to 66CC chambers. 10.5:1 compression. Cam is flat tappet Lunati 62002 0.548 lift on exhaust 228 duration or so, billet rocker arm stands with end stands, custom length pushrods, Edelbrock RPM intake 750 CFM Summit carb(copy of the old Holley 4010) annular booster venturis like the old Autolite carbs(Holley bought the rights to this design from Ford). Hooker headers with 2 inch primaries . Oh MSD 6AL ignition box triggered by a Duraspark distributor that has been rebuilt and recurved.

Sounds like a nice balanced build for the street.

FWIW if you haven't picked a torque converter Coan will make one for you to fit your car's weight, planned build and end-use. Not much more than an off-the-shelf unit. Real happy with mine. No slop or excessive heat on the highway, and the launch is just about perfect.

I went a little conservative and I already plan on changing the intake to an RPM Air Gap (they don't make an RPM for the Cleveland), and bumping from a 670 cfm to a 750 cfm carb. I wasn't sure it would fit under the hood but I ran into a guy at Carlisle running one in the same car and he didn't have any issues.

Sounds like a nice balanced build for the street.

FWIW if you haven't picked a torque converter Coan will make one for you to fit your car's weight, planned build and end-use. Not much more than an off-the-shelf unit. Real happy with mine. No slop or excessive heat on the highway, and the launch is just about perfect.

I went a little conservative and I already plan on changing the intake to an RPM Air Gap (they don't make an RPM for the Cleveland), and bumping from a 670 cfm to a 750 cfm carb. I wasn't sure it would fit under the hood but I ran into a guy at Carlisle running one in the same car and he didn't have any issues.
I have a 2500 RPM stall converter. A company has made some adapters for the FE to allow the use of Cleveland and other Ford intakes.

Crazily enough the old Y blocks had an air gap intake from the factory.

Any vintage ford model a lovers here?Been thinking more and more about a model A for in the future.Stock of course.Maybe even the 1 1/2 truck.

Any vintage ford model a lovers here?Been thinking more and more about a model A for in the future.Stock of course.Maybe even the 1 1/2 truck.[/QUOTE
They are all cool. I have a'36 Tudor to go with the Torino.

Good luck. Buy the best car you can afford. A's aren't too bad.

On the other end of the spectrum would be a 58 /59 stationwagon possibly.Similar to this ,most likely this over an A
4338d218629ce793222fcec363199e1d.jpg

Some of you might remember the Capri which was a German Ford sold by Mercury dealers. Mine was a 1973 2600cc 4 speed and it was one of the first if not the first V-6 powered cars sold in the US.

It was my first good handling car and I recall having to replace the clutch within the first year. Too many tire chirps. :oops:

dev_grimm003.jpg

Some of you might remember the Capri which was a German Ford sold by Mercury dealers. Mine was a 1973 2600cc 4 speed and it was one of the first if not the first V-6 powered cars sold in the US.

It was my first good handling car and I recall having to replace the clutch within the first year. Too many tire chirps. :oops:

dev_grimm003.jpg

College buddy had one in the early 80's. It was a blast.

He had side pipes and upgraded wheels and tires. Very healthy performance from a neat little car. Way better than Triumph or MG coupes IMO.

Kind of rare and expensive if you can find a nice one...

My second car. 1954 Mercury sun valley, similar to this one. Metalic blue and white, blue and white leather interior. 256 ohv with a 4 barrel, 3 spd (on the foor) with overdrive and 4.29 gears. Reiable and quick in a 1950s kinda way. Had it a year, crashed it, always missed it. In the top 5 of favorites ive owned.

Attachments

• 1_1468.jpg
    1_1468.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 14
Nice. Love the GT wheels on that as well as on the Cougar above.

Last edited:
Tut, tut, my good man -- have you forgotten the 1962 Buick Fireball 198? :D

Ford v6 was introduced in 1966.GM introduced a 60 degree v6 in 1959 for trucks then in 61 for it looks like the 62 model year for buick.Technically Marmon was the first u.s. company with v6.They also had a v2.v4 v8 and v16.From 1905 till 1930,s or so.Actually as far as i can read the ford v6 was a u.k motor not american and v6,s didnt come to ford in n.a till much later ,late 70,s early 80,s.https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine

Last edited:
Shadowdog being a canuck your probably remembering the limey imports way back when.My dad had an austin 40? back in the 50,s.Ford had 2 v6,s back then the essex v6 and the cologne. v6 one made in England the other in Germany,but they wernt in any american fords of the 60,s as far as i can recal ,they used the 240 straight six and a smaller one.

Back
Top Bottom