Vintage gear=Vintage music?

MikE

Color Me Gone
Just curious if the musical tastes of the Vintage regulars also follows a Vintage angle? For vintage and non-vintage types alike: 1>. What are your musical tastes. 2>. What is on your heavy rotation list. 3>. What are you listening to right now?

1>. Coltrane(50's/60's Atlantic/early Impulse) Miles(Late 40's/50's/mid-late 60's/70's)

Sinatra(w/nelson riddle) Fitzgerald(small combo) Chet Baker, Pete Townsend, Yo La Tengo, Guy Clark, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Clash, John Lee Hooker, Sam Cooke, Hendrix, Rickie Lee Jones, Al Green, Replacements, Marvin Gaye, Neil Young, Pavement, Mississippi John Hurt, Nick Drake, Sonic Youth, Red House Painters / Mark Kozelek, Steely Dan, American Music Club / Mark Eitzel...

2>. Kings of Convenience [Quiet is the new loud] Bill Withers [Best of] Jimi Hendrix [1st rays of the new rising sun] Carpenters [Yesterday once more] Pete Townsend & Ronnie Lane [Rough Mix] The Cure [Mixed Up] America [Complete Greatest hits] Mark Kozelek [What's next to the moon]

3>. Nick Drake [Pink Moon]

MikE

MikE

My tastes are varied, I like Brazilian music (bossa nova), some electronic, 60's rock and roll, grunge.... the list is long...

Right now I am litening to:

Massive Attack "Protection"
Saint Germain "Tourist"
Soda Stereo "Sueño Stereo"
Gustavo Cerati "Bocanada"

Chris

I love it all, from Pink Floyd to Frank Sinatra. I love female vocals, Diana Krall to Astrud Gilberto. And as always, you can never get to much of Take Five and the Dave Brudeck Quartet on vinyl and good speakers.

Wards

Gotta agree with you on Dave Brubeck and Take Five!

Same with female brazilians, me LIKE :smsex:

Chris

This forum is a great idea (Thanks kama) and this thread is a good way to start. Qualifies as a sticky too.

I like most types but rather stay away from the boy band/girl band stuff. :)

1. Most of what I listen to the most tends to be from mid 70's to mid 80's - similiar to my taste in equipment. Like some of the newer stuff from Linkin Park, Macy Gray, Lauryn Hill. Like TLC too and very sad about what happened.

2. Alan Parsons, Rickie Lee, Linda Ronstadt, Pink Floyd, Al Stewart, Billy Joel and Spyrogyra are all regulars on my tt or CDP.

3. Steely Dan -Katy Lied and some classical at the moment.

Jack

Donald Fagen is without a doubt my favorite musical artist. His music seems to be built around the general theme of the late 50s-early 60s vision of the technological future as seen through the eyes of a teenager growing up in suburban New York. He has a great mastery of putting language and ideas to music.

As well, I'm a huge Benny Goodman fan.....no surprise there since Gene Krupa was my great uncle :)

Krupa - Let Me Off Uptown. Oh and Goodman - Sing Sing Sing I feel started the whole drum solo thing. COOL !

I was going to ask you if there was any relation to your name here and Donald Fagen's solo effort of Kamakiriad.

Can't Buy A Thrill

Countdown to Ecstasy

Pretzel Logic

Katy Lied

The Royal Scam

Aja

Greatest Hits

Gaucho

The Nightfly

Alive in America

Two Against Nature

Originally posted by Wardsweb
I was going to ask you if there was any relation to your name here and Donald Fagen's solo effort of Kamakiriad.

Hmmm.....might be ;)

"I was born yesterday
When they brought my Kamakiri
When they handed me the keys....
It's a steam powered ten
The frame is high-end Glasgow
The tech is Balinese....."

"Trans-Island Skyway"....first track from Kamakiriad. There's also "Steely Dan Gold", with a personal favorite of mine, "Century's End".

Well, as some might have guessed, my all-time favorite artist/group is........drum roll please........Jethro Tull. Not everyones cup of tea but for me they are Earl Grey. :D

Steely Dan, Moody Blues, Dan Fogelberg , CSNY all rank quite high with me.

I like to head bang every now and then. Nickelback is really good. The new Jerry Cantrell is awesome. Metallica (pre Black stuff), AC/DC (the Bon Scott era) Alice In Chains all get turns in the CD player.

Another excellent band is Gov't Mule. Man, I am sold on these guys. They kick ass. I went and bought every release they have. They rock. Blues style. Check em out.

Jeez, there's so much I like it's impossible to list it all here. I will say this however, under no circumstances will you find me listening to rap, :uzi: hip hop, :uzi: or that boy/girl band crap :uzi:. The absolute worst crap to hit the face of the Earth. I would rather listen to a jack hammer. The end result would be the same.

Last edited:
Hey Dry - Another Mule fan huh? Warren Haynes is the baddest ass going!

If your interested... I have a bunch of live unreleased stuff of theirs before Allen Woody died. 4 CD's full of KILLER stuff!!!

Let me know.
mOOn

Oh yeah Moondog, I'm interested but I hope you're not referring to the 4 CD box set With A Little Help From Our Friends. I have that already. Also got Live at the Roseland Ballroom. Anyway, PM me and we can work out a trade or something.

Hey, I keep checking thier website for details on the Vol 2 release of the Deep End. Nada. Hopefully soon. I need another Mule fix.

Take care bud.

Nope. None of it has been commercially released! I found all of it over the internet during the past few years & compiled 4 of my own CD mixs. Almost all are soundboard recordings too.

Send me your address & I'll fix you up as soon as I can. You'll dig the shit outta of em' for sure.

Here's the track listings. There's actually 5 CD's. You tell me what you think!

MULE Rarities...VOL. 1 (All Live)
1. Grinnin’ In Your Face/Mule/Who Do Ya Love?
2. Lively Up Yourself
3. She Said, She Said/Tomorrow Never Knows
4. Red House
5. She’s 19 Years Old/Sittin’ Ontop Of The World
6. Simple Man (Special Guest: Audrey Freed)

MULE Rarities...VOL. 2 (All Live)
1. Dazed & Confused
2. 21st Century Schizoid Man
3. Voodoo Child
4. Cortez The Killer (Special Guest: Mark Ford)
5. Little Wing
6. Never In My Life (Special Guest: Leslie West)
7. Mississippi Queen (Special Guest: Leslie West)
8. Just Got Paid Today/ Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)
9. Nasty Dogs And Funky Kings
10. Helter Skelter
11. We're Not Gonna Take It

MULE Rarities...VOL. 3 (All Live)
1. Tear Me Down (Warren Solo Tour))
2. I Can’t Quit You (Special Guest: Little Milton)
3. Smokestack Lightnin’
4. Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys
5. Third Stone From The Sun
6. Statesburo Blues

MULE Rarities...VOL. 4 (All Live)
1. Almost Cut My Hair/Spanish Moon (Special Guest: Derek Trucks)
2. Simple Man - Extended Version (Special Guest: Audrey Freed)
3. Little Wing/Third Stone From The Sun
4. Dreams (Special Guests: The Black Crowes)
5. One Way Out (Special Guest: Ed Mundell)

MULE Rarities...VOL. 5 (All Live & UNPLUGGED)
1. Thorazine Shuffle
2. Afro Blue
3. I Put A Spell On You (Special Guest: Tim Reynolds)
4. Soulshine (Special Guest: Tim Reynolds)
5. End Of The Line
6. Midnight Rider (Special Guest: Gregg Allman)
7. In My Life
8. Tastes Like Wine_

That awesome Moon. Looks like they are performing some killer covers. Beatles, Hendrix, Crimson, Zeppelin, Mountain. Oh man, I'll take it. What you want in trade?

Let me know.

Thanks a million.

Btw, I'll send a PM with my address.

Oh yea... This stuff is UNBELIEVEABLE!

TRADE? Ummmmmmm.............

I'm really into late 60's/early 70's mostly. I really like psychedelic music. Off the wall, Garage, Jam Band stuff too.

Any ideas? Shoot some my way & I'll let you know if I already have/or might be interested.

I'll try & get your Mule copies made today & in the mail early next week.

mOOnie

Hey mon... Is NO problem. Glad I can do it. ;)

I sent you a PM too & will send another after I think about the trade.

mOOn

I've been thinking about this for a few days. I think my brain cell must work differently than everyone elses.:withstpd:
My musical flavors run all over the place. I've never been satisfied with just one type or sound. I listen to alot of what's been mentioned so far.
I think I would have to say that 50s-60s oldies rock 'n roll is probably in the heaviest rotation.
I tend to go for a particular instrument rather than a particular artist or group.
Yesterday for example: I was in the mood for trumpet. I started out with Maynard Ferguson Conquistador. There is a super flute solo in Star Trek Theme. Next was Jethro Tull's Agualung for Ian Anderson's flute. Then it was Tim Wiesberg Rotations (more flute)
Now this can happen with any instrument. Something in the music will trigger a desire for something else that may seem totaly unrelated.
If I'm in the mood for sax, I could go all night from Boots Randolph to James Brown to Goose Creek Symphony to Jerry Mulligan to Gato Barbieri to Buddy Rich to Tom Waits to Ohio Players to Charlie Parker and many more I can't list.
Anywhere along the line something else might strike my fancey and I go off in completly different direction. It's not unusual for Deep Purple to be followed by John Prine:dunno:
I like everything::D
I gets wierder when I'm drinking
:butt1:
Brad

Last edited:
An evening of music at my house dont happen to often but when it does it might go something like this.

Alittle Deep Purple, Fireball, Child in time, Blacknight

Then some Black Sabbath, Faries wear boots, Sabath Bloody Sabbath, Wizard, Sleeping Village, A tons more

Then I might move onto some Stevie Ray Texas Flood or better yet any live stevie.

From there it will be a bit of hendrix Electric Lady Land then one of my favs a Aussie import called the star Spangled Banner and then finally Vodoo Soup.

Buy then I want nuthin but blues so I try out some Cocco Taylor and Buddy Guy and then maybe alittle Johnny Lee Hooker Im Me and as always I finish up with alittle B B King and Lucile Live from Cook County Jail.Damn I love sweet little angel ! Or Kenny Wayne Shepard.

After that I might try alittle Edwin Star, James Brown, SLy and the family, and finaly some Temptations.

And to finish up the night. I move on to some newer stuff like Nirvana In Utero, Blur, Silver Chair, Korn, System of the Donw, Rage against the Machine and then alittle Limp Bizkit and finish up the whole evening with oneo f the Heaviest Albums I own Tools Anima

There ya go. Course it changes alot but these are some of the staples of my Listening

Dave

Back
Top Bottom