Vintage High End Tube amps list

Discussion in 'Vintage Gear - Top Performers' started by 930turbo, Oct 26, 2015.

1. McGowdog

McGowdog Active Member

I don't know about the ST 70s, but my Mark IIIs with my Tung Sol Black plates, its superior iron, and my Pas2 just sound better than McIntosh whatever.

I guess Dynaco is the working man's amp.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. McGowdog

McGowdog Active Member

Oh good. There is intelligent life on the board.

3. McGowdog

McGowdog Active Member

I think what he said was the term high-end was irrelevant and otherwise dorky wrt the topic at hand. No offense to the OP of course, as high end is part of the thread title. But to question whether or not Dynaco gear belongs in the discussion?

I'd rather talk about them than hear someone brag about their tootie fruity BMW, that's for sure, but hey, that's just me.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  4. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Mac Clinics were pretty impartial re their bench testing against spec, tho' they'd freshen up their own tube products to exceed spec at no cost to the customer. In the tube days, not that many tube amps met published spec, as implied, on the bench, McIntosh and Marantz usually did.
    In the solid state era, many amps had no problem meeting specs. Bob Carver's new Phase Linear 700 did just that on Mac's clinic bench when introed in 1971, for instance. Transistors leveled the numbers playing field, features and price distinguished the brands.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Bill Ferris likes this.
  5. lordgarth

lordgarth AK Subscriber Subscriber

This is absolute BLASPHEMY.

darkblue94 likes this.
  6. McGowdog

McGowdog Active Member

Um no, it's not.

604man likes this.

7. BillWojo

BillWojo AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Mac MC40's still get top billing here. I've had a few other tube amps in it's place but nothing comes close.

BillWojo

Tube Sound and Ds2000 like this.
  8. trainbuftony

trainbuftony Electron Herder Subscriber

In my experience dynaco belongs on another list. A Dynaco st 70 in stock form does not put out 35 watts per channel with both channels driven. I have personally verified this. Even with a brand new set of tubes the 70 is a 25 watt per channel amp, when hooked to the dummy load and my hewlett packard distortion analyzer. For comparisons sake I hooked a rusty, all original McIntosh MC30 (specs claim it's a 30 watt 6l6 amp) to the same analyzer, and it made 45 watts at about 1%. People have opinions and that's fine, we all have different ears. If your opinions are based on published specs, please attempt to verify those specs before presenting your opinion as fact. It's pretty well known that Dynaco fudged the specs. High end gear exceeded specs, and that performance is verifiable with the right equipment.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  9. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

No one mentioned

Valve Amplifier Company, today known as VAC.
    Their sound and build quality early on put them in an exclusive class today.

RDecartridge and stish like this.
  10. analog addict

analog addict Glory or Death!

Eh. I don't see this going anywhere but downhill....

11. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

I’d love to hear these. Ca 1994, one year short of the usual definition of vintage.
    D8498483-B857-42B4-913E-887440FB271D.jpeg

4-2-7 likes this.

12. timsclips

timsclips AK Subscriber Subscriber

Did the Altec home amplifiers rank as high-end?

13. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

If you call $1099 over priced I don't know where are coming from. Of course today they are very pricey. But rebuilt they sound better than a 2301 and only 143 were built. so like a Duesenburg the rarity contributes to the price. At the time working for a Mcintosh dealer I could have gotten a pair for a real deal. Just like I got my matching pair of 275's. But the idea of having 4 to bi-amp my speakers and later on 6 to tri-amp just seemed ridiculous. So I bought Crown amps and eventually went back to Mac 207 amps which I use today. Why didn't I buy 3500's when I had a chance. Well they all needed continue monitoring and service. And I got tired of having to service the few we sold in the field, its also why I got rid of my other Mac tube amps. I could have made a fortune if I had kept the 275's and 240's longer, but I didn't. If I won the lottery tomorow I still wouldn't have a tube anything, opps well I would have one. Ampex MR-70-4 using nuvistor tubes. They built very few of those, too.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  14. Pio1980

I wouldn't mind a pair of vintage MC75 for tube amps. Light enough to move, not too complicated to service and keep going.

15. slimpikkins

slimpikkins Super Member

1D8AC840-76FE-4641-B38B-2719755F32B2.jpeg They had a short life but might be considered vintage by now. How about Melos various huge triode amps?

Ds2000 likes this.
  16. Pio1980

I'd think Altec did. Otherwise, the tube theatre gear has a following, the solid state stuff not so much.