• SX-3800

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A-70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

teknokid

Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time poster... I'm looking for a new integrated amp/receiver from Pioneer to match with my TT. I've been reading some reviews and searching on here and I think I have a good grasp on what I'd like. There are a few in my area and I'm looking for thoughts/opinions. Some of them require refurbishing and some are mint. All are very similarly priced around $300 CDN (some are much cheaper but will end up around $300 after refurb).

SA-9500
SA-8100
SA-6800
SA-6500 MkII
SX-636
SX-780
SX-3800
A-70

Most of the time I'll be listening to vinyl on a Pioneer direct drive PL-520. I usually listen at moderate volume and my current system rarely gets cranked. I'll be driving a couple of PSB Image mid-size speakers for now but intend on upgrading in the near future. (Another post for another day). For my needs, I don't think any of the above would be a bad choice and would welcome any into my system. At this time, I'm not sure if I'd be able to audition any of these - I will ask though.

So far, I'm sweet on the SA-9500 and SA-8100 as I like the dual phono input and they would drive just about any speaker I could afford. I would rarely use the built in tuner on the SX series but do love the glow of the lights. I like the A-70 the least but hear that the A-90 is amazing, so it's worth a look.

Of those choices, I would buy the largest and get it restored (eventually).

The SA-9100 is the cult favorite.
It should be rebuilt to really get its potential.

Just to enlighten and confuse.
If you are a vinyl junky, vintage Yamaha is the ticket. Even newer Yamaha is great. I was not a fan of Natural Sound until I used a Yamaha for vinyl. If you see a cheap black face and it has Phono, try it.

Managed to negotiate the 9500 down to$200. Grabbed a pic before I fired it up, now it's time for a listen.

Attachments

• 20180623_201741.jpg
    20180623_201741.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 65
I have an SA-8100 that I picked up from an antique store for around a hundred bucks a few years ago. I've never done a thing to it and it still works great. I like the fact that you can switch out the built in amp and run it as a pre-amp only. I run it through an SAE 2200 into a pair of Elac F5s and it sounds pretty darned good. Had an SX-780 that I gave to one of my kids. Still going strong.

Well, after some time with the Pioneer 9500, I must say I'm impressed. The only issue is that this amp is happier when it's working. Which means, I have to be aware of what time of night I'm playing it. I try to be a good neighbor...

Well, after some time with the Pioneer 9500, I must say I'm impressed. The only issue is that this amp is happier when it's working. Which means, I have to be aware of what time of night I'm playing it. I try to be a good neighbor...

Could be worse. My landlord's master bedroom is directly above my living room...

Nice ! I have an SA-7800 and it's awesome. I would look at getting the TT off the top of the amp though and away from that heat :)

Hi Everyone,

Got a question for the collective wisdom of the group - getting ready to purchase a power conditioner. But, I'm having trouble determining how many AMPs I need. I've look at the back of my receiver and I've checked the owner's manual of a couple of my devices but all I find is watt information. How do you determine how many AMPs you need for a power conditioner?

Hi Everyone,

Got a question for the collective wisdom of the group - getting ready to purchase a power conditioner. But, I'm having trouble determining how many AMPs I need. I've look at the back of my receiver and I've checked the owner's manual of a couple of my devices but all I find is watt information. How do you determine how many AMPs you need for a power conditioner?
Watts = volts x amperes. In the U.S., volts = 120.

It would be better to ask your question in your own thread, BTW. And maybe in the General Audio Discussion forum, as this one gets much fewer readers. :)

Back
Top Bottom