Vinyl only spin list

Yeah, it's nice having a high quality changer like the SL-1650. I usually use it to stack 45s, have all the stacking spindles for it. Would never stack any albums, but the 12" singles it's nice to do.

You need to first pick out some records you want to listen to, that way your not getting up every time.

I remember having a number of those "console" stereos all throughout childhood (when I began my 45 collecting) that my parents bought me -- from the giant two speakers-on-the-side types to one that looked like a jukebox with a mirror disco ball and all -- and using those "bar" looking things to stack my 45s on...watching them drop down though was frightening, and I'm SURE I did much groove damage to these records over the years using the ceramic cartridges on these units...:crazy:

I remember having a number of those "console" stereos all throughout childhood (when I began my 45 collecting) that my parents bought me -- from the giant two speakers-on-the-side types to one that looked like a jukebox with a mirror disco ball and all -- and using those "bar" looking things to stack my 45s on...watching them drop down though was frightening, and I'm SURE I did much groove damage to these records over the years using the ceramic cartridges on these units...:crazy:

Yeah, those cheap changers weren't good on your records. The SL-1650 is so much more gentler on them! I always liked stacking my 45s, the only way to play them. Watching them drop is part of the fun spinning!

We had a 1955 Voice-Of-Music Hi-Fi that my grandparents gave us in the late '60's. I can still remember the day they brought it, sticking a bit out of the trunk of their shiny tan colored 1965 Ponitac Bonneville. I still have the 45s they gave us!

Yeah, those cheap changers weren't good on your records. The SL-1650 is so much more gentler on them! I always liked stacking my 45s, the only way to play them. Watching them drop is part of the fun spinning!

We had a 1955 Voice-Of-Music Hi-Fi that my grandparents gave us in the late '60's. I can still remember the day they brought it, sticking a bit out of the trunk of their shiny tan colored 1965 Ponitac Bonneville. I still have the 45s they gave us!

Isn't it so awesome to recall memories like that? I wish I could go back to those times....now, my dad has passed and I'm basically estranged from my mom because of issues she and my wife had when we got together and got serious (a LONG story for another time)...life was so much better back then, that's for sure.

I remember when my folks bought me these toys when I was a kid; I had a finished basement in my childhood home in which I had my records, some bean bags, a disco ball with spotlights, these stereo consoles over the years...I even had six pinball machines my dad bought from a local arcade which was selling them. I always had my birthday parties down there, with friends and pizza...as I played my 45s that were big at the time (stuff like "Jesse's Girl" by Rick Springfield, "Abracadabra" by the Steve Miller Band, "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, "Kiss on my List" by Hall and Oates). Years later, the basement became my spot for my DJ equipment, until eventually my folks sold the house and moved west, while I got my own place and got involved with a girlfriend at the time (I wish I never would have sold off my Technics 1200s I DJ'ed with, that's for sure).

But, like you, I still have the 45s amassed from that childhood era -- in fact, we once had a water heater break on us, which caused a flood and fire in the basement, and my 45 collection was wrecked with water damage...however, I was able to salvage the records themselves, and even some sleeves survived! Others needed to be replaced by Radio Shack/Realistic 45RPM jacket replacements (remember THOSE?)...I STILL, to THIS day, have the 45s with the water damaged sleeves on some of them, plus the ones that were replaced with the Radio Shack jackets...

Isn't it so awesome to recall memories like that? I wish I could go back to those times....now, my dad has passed and I'm basically estranged from my mom because of issues she and my wife had when we got together and got serious (a LONG story for another time)...life was so much better back then, that's for sure.

I remember when my folks bought me these toys when I was a kid; I had a finished basement in my childhood home in which I had my records, some bean bags, a disco ball with spotlights, these stereo consoles over the years...I even had six pinball machines my dad bought from a local arcade which was selling them. I always had my birthday parties down there, with friends and pizza...as I played my 45s that were big at the time (stuff like "Jesse's Girl" by Rick Springfield, "Abracadabra" by the Steve Miller Band, "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, "Kiss on my List" by Hall and Oates). Years later, the basement became my spot for my DJ equipment, until eventually my folks sold the house and moved west, while I got my own place and got involved with a girlfriend at the time (I wish I never would have sold off my Technics 1200s I DJ'ed with, that's for sure).

But, like you, I still have the 45s amassed from that childhood era -- in fact, we once had a water heater break on us, which caused a flood and fire in the basement, and my 45 collection was wrecked with water damage...however, I was able to salvage the records themselves, and even some sleeves survived! Others needed to be replaced by Radio Shack/Realistic 45RPM jacket replacements (remember THOSE?)...I STILL, to THIS day, have the 45s with the water damaged sleeves on some of them, plus the ones that were replaced with the Radio Shack jackets...

My childhood home hardly had a basement, small. So I was all the time at my friends houses, they had the big basements. :D

That's cool you had pinball machines!! :thumbsup: Those are worth some serious money these days!

I can remember the Hi-Fi first being in the living room. Then it was moved to the family room. Finally it was moved into my bedroom! Sadly it met it's doom in the backyard on the burning patch, one Summer night while camping in the backyard with a couple that my older brother knew and had come for a visit. My parents must have been out of town. :idea::D We sure had fun that night! :rflmao: Those were the days!

My childhood home hardly had a basement, small. So I was all the time at my friends houses, they had the big basements. :D

That's cool you had pinball machines!! :thumbsup: Those are worth some serious money these days!

I can remember the Hi-Fi first being in the living room. Then it was moved to the family room. Finally it was moved into my bedroom! Sadly it met it's doom in the backyard on the burning patch, one Summer night while camping in the backyard with a couple that my older brother knew and had come for a visit. My parents must have been out of town. :idea::D We sure had fun that night! :rflmao: Those were the days!

I'm tellin ya....like Eddie Money famously said..."I wanna go back"...

We had an awesome, high-end (for the time) Fisher system in our living room, installed by the previous owners of the house, which included a receiver, turntable and eight-track player (I don't know if the turntable and eight-track player were Fishers) and the whole thing was built into one of the walls of the living room, like a rich wooden end-to-end built-in thing which contained two speakers behind grilles and shelves where my folks kept booze and pictures and stuff...MAN was that system AWESOME....you wanna talk about a WIDE soundstage?

Little Charlie And The Nightcats ‎– Disturbing The Peace (Alligator 1988)
R-2774333-1304027361.jpeg.jpg
All the way from Sacramento California, great band!

I'm tellin ya....like Eddie Money famously said..."I wanna go back"...

We had an awesome, high-end (for the time) Fisher system in our living room, installed by the previous owners of the house, which included a receiver, turntable and eight-track player (I don't know if the turntable and eight-track player were Fishers) and the whole thing was built into one of the walls of the living room, like a rich wooden end-to-end built-in thing which contained two speakers behind grilles and shelves where my folks kept booze and pictures and stuff...MAN was that system AWESOME....you wanna talk about a WIDE soundstage?

Fisher was the Rolls Royce of console stereos back in the day! It might of had a "Dual" turntable. Many came with one.

Our neighbor that lived right behind us, they had a 1968 Fisher console stereo that had a Dual 1015 turntable. That sounded awesome!! I would bring my Partridge Family album "Up To Date" over to listen to. I can still remember the sound! Completely sounded different being it was played on a stereo! My friend had the first Partridge Family album, so we both were happy to hear each others. I can remember my friend's dad coming home from work and shouting "Turn that rock music off!". :rflmao: My friend's mom had a laugh and said "Rock Music!". :rflmao: She also enjoyed listening to them.

Yeah, those were the days! Great music, and TV shows too! Saturday morning's cartoons, everyone remembers those! :thumbsup:

It's my birthday this month, too -- the 16th....:banana:

You're right about the way they call anything "classic;" I believe I heard Nirvana one day on one of these classic rock stations, and while sure that's "quasi-classic" to folks like me who grew up with 90s rock like that (actually, I call all that "alt rock" from that period and up -- Gin Blossoms, Linkin Park, Goo Goo Dolls et al -- "modern rock," and have made mixed CDs of my own based on this genre and artists such as those), there's something not right about hearing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on a classic rock station...

This all reminds me of that line Justin Long says in Live Free or Die Hard to Bruce Willis' John McClane character, when they're in the car and McClane turns up "Fortunate Son" by CCR on the radio...Long is like "WHAT!? WHAT is that??" and McClane is like "Creedence...Creedence Clearwater Revival...ya know, CLASSIC ROCK?" and Long goes "I know what it is....but it's not classic....just because something's old doesn't mean it's classic....what sucked back then still sucks now...."

LOL....

But I agree about not making the genres too distinct.

That is a great line. Very true. Cars, just as much as music, too.

What day is your birthday? I'll make sure your birthday thread is posted, Wayne!

Mine is the 24th. I don't think I knew you guys did birthday threads. I haven't checked anything other than this thread in ages.

"Early Gen-X here (born in 68; hooray for turning 50 this month?)", is what Wayne said on post #160011. Must be his birthday too this month?

Yep, sorry for any confusion.

You're totally right in your thinking -- and that's what I do for my CD, DVD and Blu-ray collections (alphabetize only).

However, with vinyl, there's something that's quite different about categorizing it by genre -- I don't quite know what it is...maybe the whole old "record store experience" or the artwork on the covers...there's something I prefer about categorizing vinyl by genre.

On one side of my closet that I keep my records stored in, I separate my 12-inch singles I used when I was a DJ from the LP albums, which are on the other side...in the 12-inch singles collection, I have that separated by genre (house/club, rap, freestyle etc.) and then by SINGLE TITLE alphabetically....so "Can You Feel the Beat" would be under "C" for the title, not the artist (in this case, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam).

For ALBUMS, those of course are by ARTIST, but also in genres (which is getting very difficult to manage).
i reckon we should start a proper house music thread anzac :thumbsup:

Fisher was the Rolls Royce of console stereos back in the day! It might of had a "Dual" turntable. Many came with one.

Our neighbor that lived right behind us, they had a 1968 Fisher console stereo that had a Dual 1015 turntable. That sounded awesome!! I would bring my Partridge Family album "Up To Date" over to listen to. I can still remember the sound! Completely sounded different being it was played on a stereo! My friend had the first Partridge Family album, so we both were happy to hear each others. I can remember my friend's dad coming home from work and shouting "Turn that rock music off!". :rflmao: My friend's mom had a laugh and said "Rock Music!". :rflmao: She also enjoyed listening to them.

Yeah, those were the days! Great music, and TV shows too! Saturday morning's cartoons, everyone remembers those! :thumbsup:

Oh, the Fisher stereo we had wasn't a console -- it was a standalone system with separates that included a Fisher receiver, a separate turntable (that pulled out on a retracting shelf...remember those?) and separate eight-track deck...the console stereos I was referring to were in our basement (over the years I had different ones, including one shaped like a jukebox with flashing lights on the bottom that moved to the music and a mirror disco ball)...

Back
Top Bottom