Vinyl only spin list

2e4b0ck.jpg

Dropped one off at the post office today. That is what the clerk said. Vinyls??
I told this story about a month ago in a different thread. I had some guys over here putting in a new furnace and there was a guy maybe in his early 20's with them. He spotted my vintage gear while he was in the basement and asked me if those were vinyls. I said yes they were and he told me he had never heard one play but his dad had told him about them.

That’s cool you guys. Wrong, but cool :D

I wish I could "like" that, but I don't know that I can :beerchug:

I told this story about a month ago in a different thread. I had some guys over here putting in a new furnace and there was a guy maybe in his early 20's with them. He spotted my vintage gear while he was in the basement and asked me if those were vinyls. I said yes they were and he told me he had never heard one play but his dad had told him about them.

Hope you played one for him.

Jeez! Stop telling stories like that. I found it way too hard to even get out of a chair nowadays... :rolleyes:

Ugh. I actually had the opposite experience recently. One of the "kids" (mid to late 20s?) delivering our kitchen cabinets noticed my gear and LPs and said, "Cool. I've got a system like that myself, too, only not so vintage. That's a sweet turntable."

I was elated. He said "turntable"! There's hope.

The old shellac discs were very fragile. They were never all shellac but had various fillers. Over time stronger fillers were used. Between that and the micro-cracks that develop over time through mere temperature changes or vibrations, the oldest ones, which might date to the beginning of the 20th century, could fly to pieces with even the mildest handling. We had a good sized 78 rpm shellac collection back in the 1950s. Good sized in a relative way that is, maybe 50 of them, including the very earliest Presley singles. I have no recollection of what became of them.

Back
Top Bottom