[vinyl] This record is worn out.

4dryhme

How can you tell?

Many many albums have a 'good' side, the one with the 'song' is dull sounding compared to the other side:

case in point:
Pink Floyd's 'ummagumma' double album. The song (side) is side one with 'Careful With That Axe Eugene' ...pretty dull and lifeless compared to what it sounded like the first time I owned this album ..sides three and four... sound heads and shoulders better...like side one is supposed to sound like.

Last edited:
It could be that side one was recorded live and side two was recorded in Studio.

I knew that. Um, ah, gonna, play now to um, retest. ... Okay. Got the cans on.. yeah, side one now...

...sounds alright... Not dull.

side three now... okay, as they say in chess...'I resign'.

Side one was dirtier. Dang it! I've already cleaned side one twice! Um, bastages!

Last edited:
"Careful With That Axe Eugene" also has some pretty shrill highs. I can see them getting dull over time, but my copy still sounds good after some 25-odd years. (And some of those years were pretty darned odd!).

I've been known to piss my neighbors off by playing "Astronomy Dominie" just a tad bit too loud.

Yeah..and can you believe with me someone suggested I buy one of those cheap record players at walmart and convert my record collection to digital? I just looked at the player and the needle and ran away screaming!

-I love cds but not ready to destroy my lp collection yet! I feel good that I have Zep's In through the out door, Floyd's Momentary and Division bell all unopen. Plus the '45 from floyd music from the wall in mint condition (one in VG).

I've never seen a used copy of the Beatles' White Album where side 4 wasn't in much better shape than sides 1, 2 and 3. In that case, "the song" is the one no one could stand to listen to

Number nine, number nine, number nine...:yikes:

I once picked up a copy of Eric Claptons Slow hand thinking to buy it but because the shop had the jacket cover taped shut I went up to the counter and asked him to open it so I could check the record for scratches etc.

Not a scratch on it but when you held it up to the light Track one Side one was so worn I swear you could see light through the bottom of the grooves!!!!

Someone had played that track about 50 plays past worn out with a brick on the headshell.

I told the clerk I'll pass.

Yeah..and can you believe with me someone suggested I buy one of those cheap record players at walmart and convert my record collection to digital? I just looked at the player and the needle and ran away screaming!

-I love cds but not ready to destroy my lp collection yet! I feel good that I have Zep's In through the out door, Floyd's Momentary and Division bell all unopen. Plus the '45 from floyd music from the wall in mint condition (one in VG).

I just hook the line-in on my computer to the REC-out on my amplifier to do vinyl to CD ripping. That way I'm using my good turntable :banana: With the right software you can make regular CDs, mp3s or the new fangled flac. To my ears the ripped copies sound perfect.

BTW, you might have to use a 3 to 2 prong power adapter on the computer to avoid a ground loop with your audio equipment.

Bobby D.

Back
Top Bottom