Voice of Music tube amp and record changer- What do I have here?

audiodogster

These came up on Craigslist for $50 so I jumped on the chance to have a cheap introduction to tubes. I plan to pair it with my KLH Model 17 speakers and give to my dad for Father's Day (that or a Harman Kardon 430, or both). The guy I bought it from got them 8 years ago and never hooked them up, he planned on servicing it before doing so but never had the time. He showed me his setup he is getting ready to sell, a nice Empire turntable going to a Marantz 2225B (he has two of these), powering a pair of Altec Voice of the Theater speakers. That was an impressive sounding system, he told me he would give me first dibs before he lists them on Craigslist, as well as a linear tracking Marantz turntable.

ktVD6Xe.jpg

vZSi3hE.jpg

esQAaB7.jpg

pz9wQi7.jpg

ophyznh.jpg

I'm guessing the turntable is junk (though I was surprised it has a diamond stylus instead of ceramic), a few people seem to like the amplifier though. Looks like at least a few of the tubes are original, maybe all of them, I haven't opened it up yet.

Those amps are well loved, it looks like it has the 6bq5 output tubes in it (probably around 12 watts a channel), I have the identical one that uses the 6aq5 output tubes (a little less maybe 8 to 10 watts a channel). Well bought at fifty :D.

I'm guessing the turntable is junk (though I was surprised it has a diamond stylus instead of ceramic),
I've never heard of a ceramic stylus. Cheaper cartridges are generally ceramic rather than magnetic, although they all use diamond styli (although I recall, from my cobwebbed memory, some really cheap systems having a sapphire stylus, but I may be confusing that with the ADC Astrion and its sapphire cantilever).

I've never heard of a ceramic stylus. Cheaper cartridges are generally ceramic rather than magnetic, although they all use diamond styli (although I recall, from my cobwebbed memory, some really cheap systems having a sapphire stylus, but I may be confusing that with the ADC Astrion and its sapphire cantilever).
I guess that would make sense after what I was reading last night, though I think I heard ceramic vs diamond by someone on YouTube doing a video about record players, maybe I should stop assuming people know what they are talking about lol.

What you have is a nice setup. Great little amp, and speakers. Not sure if that turntable is anything special though. It'll be a perfect setup for your office or a small room. Simple recap of the amp and treatment of the woofer surrounds will make the combo sound amazing.

I guess that would make sense after what I was reading last night, though I think I heard ceramic vs diamond by someone on YouTube doing a video about record players, maybe I should stop assuming people know what they are talking about lol.
FWIW, industrial diamonds (the type used in phono cartridges) are not expensive, which is why you can by diamond replacement styli for only a few dollars for cheaper cartridges.

FWIW, industrial diamonds (the type used in phono cartridges) are not expensive, which is why you can by diamond replacement styli for only a few dollars for cheaper cartridges.
Yea, it's about $10 for the stylus for these. Of course, a diamond the size of a stylus tip are cheap, regardless if it's industrial or jewelry grade.

I opened up the unit today, the fuse is original and intact and the tubes are original. New tubes seem pretty cheap for these units if any of them are bad.

If this is the VOM I'm Thinking og, thr bass is enbununbeleivable.beleivableeleibable.

Not currently thinking of selling but if I do, I'll be sure to message you.

I haven't recapped it yet but brought it up on the variac over a period of several hours and it sounds quite nice. I can't directly compare it to my Fisher console setup (which also needs to be gone through) but it seems, as you said, that the bass is quite unbelievable for a tube amp and will probably only get better with new caps. Sometimes the amp has a hiss (again needs caps) but other times it is dead silent, contrary to some people's thoughts on the amp. Seems like it is a bit of a hidden gem but prices are going up, saw one in worse shape than mine that hadn't been tested sell for $320.

Back
Top Bottom