Volti Vtrac

pezzzzx

Has anyone modified their Khorns with the VoltiAudio VTrac upgrades?
Wondering if the 2" driver setup is worth the expense?

Well I have heard their speakers and can attest to the quality. The worst thing IMO is the stock speaker networks. Looking at the Volti site I see they offer networks that have similar control over the mid levels as an ALK network. I would certainly go with their network if you do purchase. Don't know if its included. Otherwise it maybe less costly to see if ALK can meet your needs with his offerings in both networks and horns.

Any thoughts on the BMS 2" driver?

Boy your going to dump some cash depending on how far you go.

I wouldn't refute the quality of the driver but of course its only part of the game.

Networks for me were a big deal. I also went to "Klipsch" Titanium mid and Crites Titanium tweeter. In my lowly Forte's that I stuck $2500 into their networks. I listened to the Volti Audio Vittori Axpona 2013 they were using about a 10 watt 300B SET amplifier. The sound was very very good only I didn't know he was using a sub as it was hidden. They played a piece of music that I have been listing to for 20yrs. The interesting thing is that the low end extension was not as good as in my system, but one has give them a break as they were in a hotel room. They were set up on a long wall which certainly helped with the very large image the recording created. Hard to say what the networks were using. Possibly his with the Air Core Inductors.

I noticed on their site for Klipsch that I saw iron core inductors in the KV1 and KV2 networks which are bad news IMO which could account for some of the loses I heard.

I would take this VT network and not the lower or so called upper grade networks.

Klipsch VT Crossover for V-Trac.jpg

The network is expensive still. For the money I'd rather use an ALK Universal network.

"V-Trac horns and V-120 adapters for the K55 drivers will greatly improve the sound of the midrange in the Khorn, and at a cost of only $1,034 it is a great first step to take to upgrade your speakers."

One thing is for sure the stock network should go.

Here is what a friend of mine did with a DIY ALK Universal he formally used an ALK ES network which isn't a good choice for low power amplifiers as at lower volume levels the ES can come across as a bit lean. He was a little reluctant to make the switch but he had heard my networks. His networks weight in at 40lbs for the pair he tells me. He is using a custom made auto-transformer using Cardas wire along with North Creek Inductors, Duelund resistor to swamp the auto transformers reflected impedance from the mid loading effect. Sonicraft Caps for now. The sound IHO exceeding what he heard with the ALK ES. he tells me its punchier and has much more information.

alkuniversaljdg123.jpgBOS45 System.jpg

One needs to think about how loud they actually listen most of the time regardless of how much power they have. In choosing a network for themselves.

Really the most amazing thing is how a Forte can sound even with little horns with a high end network. As far as the Volti Audio Vittori at $24,000, the Fortes with their modifications generate a stage size just as big and involving for me.

As they say there is more then one way to skin a cat, its just a matter of how you want to go about it. For me I took a path that rarely is taken very far. But its paid of for me and a few friends.

SET12

I was able to purchase a nice pair of BMS 4592 mids for 400. I already have a set of ALK universals. My hope is to purchase the Volti 2" horns.
I have so far been less than blown away by the Khorn mids. But ever the optimist I continue to experiment. I guess I'm trying find someone who has found this path to be productive.
I also have a pair of Forte l's that Ilove.

I was able to purchase a nice pair of BMS 4592 mids for 400. I already have a set of ALK universals. My hope is to purchase the Volti 2" horns.
I have so far been less than blown away by the Khorn mids. But ever the optimist I continue to experiment. I guess I'm trying find someone who has found this path to be productive.
I also have a pair of Forte l's that Ilove.

That was a very good price!

Very interesting that they don't appear to be what you expected, I would imagine the 4592 is more efficient in fact they do point out, that it is here in their instructions http://www.voltiaudio.com/crossoverinstall.shtml They suggest -9db to start then going lower but as they say its user preference.

Did you do any mods to your Forte's?

Where do you live? By chance the midwest?

Well I can also tell you all auto-transformers are not created equal!

Stock vs German C-Cores I use. germanautotransformers0.jpg The Crites and ALK are about 1/2 the size of the C-Cores. The C-Cores are nearly 4 times more expensive. The stock is maybe 1/3 the size of the C-Cores.

One thing you could try is a Duelund resistor across the Autotransformer these resistors enhance dynamic performance. They are nearly 10 times more expensive depending on the version you use. I was using Ohmites and I nearly threw them in the waste basket after hearing the Duelunds.

Another thought is associated equipment if one piece of the chain is not up to par with the rest of the system the system just reflects that. I have used other associated equipment that wasn't up to par with the rest of my system only to have the system fall on its face. If I didn't have the associated electronics that I have I might not of attributed as much to my networks contribution to the overall system performance.

I can understand larger horns having lower distortion greater ease. I was greatly surprise how much the Klipsch Titanium mid did for the Forte. Still I'm amazed that the Forte with extreme mods can throw out such a large image as big as I heard with the Volti. Funnier yet is seeing the facial expressions comparing a stock Forte to the extreme mods.

I could of spent $10,000 on network components even for a stock Forte values. The ALK networks and even the Volti is just drop in the bucket. But the kind of mods I did are far ahead subjectively then most networks. But don't get me wrong I think the ALK is way ahead of the stock Klipsch networks. More or less you have just scratched the surface.

SET12

Last edited:
Don't own them, but I've had extensive listening time with Volti K-horns. They had the wood V-trac horns, upgraded woofers, BMS 2" mid driver, and a Beyma tweeter. I do believe the crossover was from Volti as well.

I've never heard a speaker that can approach live sound so closely. They create amazing impact at low levels, and are just astounding at high SPL. Really have to be heard to be believed. BMS drivers are definitely worth the money.

I own the BMS drivers but have never installed them. What I am running is the 1" Trachorn with the k55v, Crites tweeter and the ALK universals. The mids are weaker than I would expect. My pair of Model 19's blow them away. Before I put the money into the Vtracs I'm just trying to see if anyone else has gone through
Khorn mod madness and found happiness.
My room is large enough and I have good corners for them. I love the bass they produce.

As far as my Forte's go they were the first horns I ever owned. They have the Crites crossovers, Crites titanium tweet, and the squaker has the Crites replacement diaphragm (not Titanium). I run them through a pair of MC 30's and an MX 110. I love their sound and find them more to my liking than the Cornwalls.
I bought the Khorns because of the many people who raved about them and thought they would be the ultimate expression of the Klipsch marque.
So far not so much.
What I'm hoping to attain is the room filling presence of the Altecs in a 3 way configuration.

Maybe I can help a little, I have the K-horns with the V-Trac horns and BMS 4592 mid driver and the ALK Universal's. I can tell fora fact the there is a huge like night/day difference in using just the ALK xovers, then adding the other componets mentioned you will be smilling from ear to ear!!!:banana:

I've done all the Volti mods less the crossovers (mine are ALK universals). I agree with jcmusic, it's a night and day difference. The mids are just so easy and effortless, they just beg to be driven harder. I've got mine in my 36' X 48' shop and they are just amazing.

Are your BMS 4592's 8 or 16 ohm? Would it make a difference with the ALK universals?

Shouldn't make any difference with the ALK networks as the mid if fed from an auto-transformer. ALK uses a 10 ohm swamping resistor across the Auto transformer. So what ever is reflected back by the turns ratio x the load (tap your using) the amplifier sees 10 ohms regardless of whether the mid is 8 or 16 ohm's.

SET12

Back
Top Bottom