VPI Turntable Owners Thread

MikeCh

I didn't see a VPI Owners Thread started here yet (kind of surprising actually)...so let's start one!

Here's my VPI Classic 2 currently mounted with a Dynavector 20x2H cartridge. The cart has about 150 hours on it now (or more?) and just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter as each new LP gets played.

What does your VPI look like? (pics please)

Mike

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• VPI Classic 023 (Large).jpg
    VPI Classic 023 (Large).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,777
Last edited:
I will post some pics tonight or so ... but a proud owner of a VPI Scout checking in.

edit: BTW that classic is sexy.

Scout owner here, will also post pictures later, Have a Soundsmith VPI Zephyr with around 40 hours and it also keeps getting better and better.
Thanksr starting the thread.

attachment.php

Have to get a more up-to-date picture but here’s my Aries Series-1 with JMW 10.5 arm. Held out till I could find a good Series-1 in the used market as I wanted the heavier aluminum/lead/acrylic platter of the 1, not the all-acrylic version of the Series 2 & 3.

ZYX Airy SB low output moving-coil cartridge and not shown, a Black Diamond Racing carbon-fiber clamp. Phono-stage is a modded Sonic Frontiers SFP-1, Final labs copper/cotton interconnects. Hard Maple cutting board is sitting on a Torlyte 3 leg stand.

Also an old first-generation VPI record cleaning machine that is an important part of vinyl playback for me.

Attachments

• tt_052813.jpg
    tt_052813.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 6,840
Last edited:
I bought a VPI Scout II this past November. I need to take some good pics. It is amazing beyond words. I have a Denon cartridge on it per the advice of Chad Stelly at Acoustic Sounds.

VPI is one of the few brands making high-end turntables with visually appealing aesthetics. Sleek and minimal, highly functional designs. I really admire products whose aesthetic elements go hand in hand with practical design features. It looks good, but all of it's looks have a purpose, nothing superfluous. It seems all too common that the more money you spend the flashier things have to look. Billfort's Aries is absolutely gorgeous.

An older shot of my Classic, back before it was a Classic I. Alongside one of the tables that influenced it.

vpiandempire.jpg

Hello, not an owner quite yet, but I am very close to pulling the trigger on a red Traveler / Grado gold combo.

Jut got off the phone with Jack from VPI...nice and informative guy, loves to talk about TTs.

Kenny

Worked a deal with Music Direct:

- White VPI Traveler (wanted red, but they do not have them)

- It is not the TT with the new motor that can support voltages worldwide (Jack at VPI convinced me that if living in the U.S. with no plans to take your TT international, it is not necessary)

- Dynavector 10x5 MC cart

All in: $1551.60

Have not pulled the trigger yet, but close. One last mental level-set!

Kenny

My upgraded Scout with Benz Wood cart. Once I got the ring clamp I could not use my Saftey Raiser - will hold on to it for when I can afford an Aries 3.

picture.php

Hoping to get in my HW-17 this week - just in time for my birthday. If it doesn't make it in this week I will just have to throw another party when it arrives.:yes:

Nice thread! Lots of great shots. This promises to be a thread that I will visit often.

These are some spectacular lookin' tables fellas.:yes: Dumb questions. What are the weights or ? over the center spindle? What purpose do they serve?:scratch2: My guess is they keep the record flat. I see them all the time but haven't asked yet. Thanks.

S.J.

Great thread. Makes me want to join the club.

I've spent many hours sipping beer and listening to Billforts setup, and I have to say it is one of the finest phono front ends I have ever heard.

These are some spectacular lookin' tables fellas.:yes: Dumb questions. What are the weights or ? over the center spindle? What purpose do they serve?:scratch2: My guess is they keep the record flat. I see them all the time but haven't asked yet. Thanks.

S.J.

In the case of the VPI it is a clamp, and it is integral to the design of the turntable. The combination of the clamp, which screws onto the spindle, and the way the platter is made creates a vacuum suction so that the record is held very flat onto the platter. One of the very nice things about the VPIs. Records that are slightly warped are no issue at all.

In the case of the VPI it is a clamp, and it is integral to the design of the turntable. The combination of the clamp, which screws onto the spindle, and the way the platter is made creates a vacuum suction so that the record is held very flat onto the platter. One of the very nice things about the VPIs. Records that are slightly warped are no issue at all.

Wow! Very interesting. Vacuum suction never occurred to me. Thanks, Skylab.

S.J.

Yeah, sometimes when you take the clamp off, the record is still stuck to the platter like a suction cup.

Back
Top Bottom