VPI Turntable Owners Thread

Finally got it all hooked up. Wasn't as bad as I had worried. The jig made alignment much easier than I had been used to and got me out of my "is this really the right measurement?" mindgames I used to play with myself back when I was using paper protractors. But the VTF - man what a PIA that one is on these things. Luckily I plan to start relaxing on the cart switching. Problem was first cart I put on was a cheapy I had bought to make sure I didn't break anything on my initial set up- and it had major ground hum. So had to do it all over again with my Grado Black/8MZ. Now it's all butter. Eventually I'll put my Denon 103 on it, but have to dig my SUT out of the boxes still.

And now I get what people are talking about with "getting out of the way of the music." I'm looking right at the Scout while it's playing Ellington Meets Coltrane, and there's still a little unbelief that the music is coming from the turntable.

Last edited:
Well, finally got it hooked up. Not a lot of light in the listening room, so apologies for the graininess. Used a Pickering cart on it just for setting it up the first time. Will swap it out for my aluminum Denon 103 in a bit.

View attachment 901134

You don't need that much twist in the tonearm wire, it really should be an smooth arch. If you really need that much anti-skate, then look into adding the mechanical device.

5e0564_85283e51c0994561ac764b21a4dde244~mv2_d_6301_4726_s_4_2.jpg

I am looking at picking up my 2nd VPI TT. I currently have a TNT 3 and am looking at a Aries 1. Best I can tell the tone arms are the same. I am not using the tri pod pully system on the TNT just straight to motor and speed control PLC(power line conditioner). I love this table. Will I like the Aries also?

This is what I've got going right now, and yeah, its trying to kick my rear but I'm getting there!TNT ET II 002.jpg No half measures this time!

So went the @tlarwa route and built my own dustcover. Yeah, pretty frickin' easy and a whole lot cheaper - materials and shipping were ~$80. I went for 1/8-inch panels, though in hindsight I next time would go for the 1/4-inch. The only issue is that the supplier didn't get the measurements exact on the cuts, leaving a slight gap in one of the corners. It's not noticeable from a foot away, however, and it's already blocked my daughter from touching the tonearm. So mission accomplished. Thanks for the suggestion, tlarwa!

IMG_20170509_203302764.jpg

So went the @tlarwa route and built my own dustcover. Yeah, pretty frickin' easy and a whole lot cheaper - materials and shipping were ~$80. I went for 1/8-inch panels, though in hindsight I next time would go for the 1/4-inch. The only issue is that the supplier didn't get the measurements exact on the cuts, leaving a slight gap in one of the corners. It's not noticeable from a foot away, however, and it's already blocked my daughter from touching the tonearm. So mission accomplished. Thanks for the suggestion, tlarwa!

View attachment 927004
Pretty sweet for 80 bucks. I had to build a space in my audio cabinet to put the 400$ cover when I take off the Scout. I was afraid I'd sit on it or something after a couple listening beers. Maybe I need to build one and sell the Ginko cover to pay for a cart upgrade:)

View attachment 927004
Good job ... glad it worked out for you!

I am getting some popping noise thru my speakers from my TNT. It seems to happen towards the inner songs more and its a pop about once every revolution. Somedays its not there. At first i thought it was from receiver but then I tried another one and still had it. second I thought it was static electricity because there seemed to be quit bit when i lifted album from TT (and still could be) so I tried cork matt and cleaned each album before playing but know help. Could it be from arm or cart set up? any other thoughts

In my previous post what looked like an "explosion" actually culminated into an "implosion."WP_20170518_14_48_35_Pro.jpg
I'm a pretty happy camper right now - just need to do a little dialing in.

Back
Top Bottom