VPI Turntable Owners Thread

My experience with the clamp is that the more it's tightened down, the more life it sucks out of the music. I am much much happier with a KAB weight. The music is much more alive. YMMV

My experience with the clamp is that the more it's tightened down, the more life it sucks out of the music. I am much much happier with a KAB weight. The music is much more alive. YMMV
With my Prime I find using the clamp in conjunction with the rubber washer causes the bass to diminish. However, on the one or two records I have that are quite warped the clamp and washer work great in flattening them so they can be played.

With my Prime I find using the clamp in conjunction with the rubber washer causes the bass to diminish. However, on the one or two records I have that are quite warped the clamp and washer work great in flattening them so they can be played.
that is the only reason I would use the clamp. mostly, I would try to replace the lp. My experience is it kills and mutes everything across the octave scale. I have a very revealing system. If something is missing, there is no mistaking that

if you look at the second pic from my above post, you will see the feet are off the table and it's sitting on a 12" inflated innertube which is then sitting on a base I made. The base is 5 ply. 2 ply of 3/4" mdf, a 1/4" layer of a rubber welcome mat, and two more ply of 3/4" mdf. A HUGE sonic upgrade. Cost about $100 to build the platform. Every table I put on it is elevated to sound like it cost much much more than it's actual cost. Every thing you do to get a blacker background is incrementally effective. Some increments are much larger than others. The base and innertube are instantly and noticeably missed if they are removed.

Last edited:
Hi fellow VPI fans ,

Just got this early this month . Am still trying to get it set up properly. Am still having some sibilance issues w/ this new arm wand . Did not take me this long to set up when I did it w/ my metal arm wand . I wish I could have gotten the Gimbal version but last minute I changed my mind because my TNT 6 has already a Gimbal bearing tonearm ( Kuzma Stogi REF 313 VTA )
Here is my VPI Unipivot FatBoy w/ dual pivot modification .

Attachments

• C609C102-78A4-4F0A-9A26-AB2F522DE744.jpeg
    C609C102-78A4-4F0A-9A26-AB2F522DE744.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 78
Hi fellow VPI fans ,

Just got this early this month . Am still trying to get it set up properly. Am still having some sibilance issues w/ this new arm wand . Did not take me this long to set up when I did it w/ my metal arm wand . I wish I could have gotten the Gimbal version but last minute I changed my mind because my TNT 6 has already a Gimbal bearing tonearm ( Kuzma Stogi REF 313 VTA )
Here is my VPI Unipivot FatBoy w/ dual pivot modification .
She's a beauty :thumbsup:.

Late to the party, but have a VPI Scout with 300 RPM motor, HW-2 isolation base, Souther TQ-1 tonearm, Dynavector/VPI mid output DV-20x and Phoenix Engineering Eagle speed controller. And natch, an HW-16 purchased in the 80s. :)

scout2019.jpg

Upgrading my HW19 Mk 4 with the SOTA Total Eclipse package. Smooth install but pulley is too short. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Original motor.jpg
    Original motor.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 23
  • SOTAmotor.jpg
    SOTAmotor.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 22
  • centered.jpg
    centered.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 23
  • pulleyplatter.jpg
    pulleyplatter.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 23
  • pigtailout.jpg
    pigtailout.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 21
IMG_9339.JPG IMG_9342.JPG IMG_9322.JPG

New VPI Prime Scout owner here. Bought the TT from Music Direct as a "B Stock" table with the JMW 3D 9" arm but with "A Stock" written on the box. Set it up Labor Day. Probably have 20+ hours and counting now and it's really starting to shine. Here's the difference between A-stock and B-stock as written to me by Music Direct. I had to ask.

A-stock - These items are new and factory sealed or in factory fresh condition (in the case of items which are not sealed by the manufacturer) with full manufacturer warranties and all original packaging and accessories. Outer packaging may have very minor shipping or handling damage with no impact on the items contained.

B-Stock/Refurbished – These items were possibly refurbished/re-packed by the manufacturer and/or there are small blemishes present. Unfortunately, we do not have records on file for each unit describing the possible blemishes. Each unit includes a manufacturer warranty and is covered under our 60-day return policy.

MIC

Question:

I have some initial belt slippage after I switch on the motor before it finds speed. I assume there's a film or some such on the belt that causes this. I wiped it down but that didn't help. Any recommendations?

MIC

Question:

I have some initial belt slippage after I switch on the motor before it finds speed. I assume there's a film or some such on the belt that causes this. I wiped it down but that didn't help. Any recommendations?

MIC
I have always had a touch of "belt chirping" on the Traveler during start up from time to time. More noticeable on the 45 rpm setting. After my once a year belt cleaning and a coat of fresh talcum powder the chirping is minimized but you can see the struggle of the belt slipping for an instant as it tries to get traction.(one Mississippi)

Question:

MIC
I have the periphery clamp - always give the clamp/platter a little push to help it get to speed. Otherwise, I get the chirp chirp from the belt slipping.

Question:

MIC

Part of my "standard VPI operating procedure' is to engage power to the table just as I finish tightening the VPI record clamp. It begins to turn the platter when it's tight and that's when I switch it on. That little kick start of the 20lb platter avoids the belt squeak. I don't even think about it any more to be honest.

jblnut

Question:

MIC

1. Ignore it.
-or-
2. Get some unscented baby powder, put it in a baggie and put the belt in the baggie and shake it.

This should stop the "squeakies."

HTH!
DeeCee

Back
Top Bottom