Waiting on Arrival of Allied Knight 333 - Questions

Tim D

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just scored an Allied Knight 333 receiver. I was wondering if there is a good quality service manual available for it. Also do parts come up often for these?

Knobs very rarely come up. It’s a pain. There are a few different versions of these—some have oil caps that all need to be replaced and some have better caps. Schematic is here.

I have a mint 333. Nice little receiver! I think it’s pretty common so service manual should be on the web somewhere. I have not recapped mine yet, I opened it up to look and it resembles a spilled parts drawer underneath! Lol. Lotta stuff in a small space....

Similar to a Pioneer SX34, says Radiomuseum. It looks like a typical Japanese made receiver (good) which will have lots of grey caps, both PIO and electrolytic, inside (bad). The usual advice is suspect that all the caps, apart from ceramic ones, will need to be replaced.

So would the Knight version be kit built? Are all Knights kit built? I.e. Could there be assembly manuals floating around?

Also, the familial relationship with the Pioneer SX-34 is obvious. I see an extra switch on the Pioneer, so there will be differences in the schematic. Anyone have comments on the use of the Pioneer schematic for the Allied/Knight unit?

So would the Knight version be kit built? Are all Knights kit built? I.e. Could there be assembly manuals floating around?

Also, the familial relationship with the Pioneer SX-34 is obvious. I see an extra switch on the Pioneer, so there will be differences in the schematic. Anyone have comments on the use of the Pioneer schematic for the Allied/Knight unit?
No, the 333 was (AFAIK, only) sold assembled. Knight was the brand typically applied to kits, but the Knight kits were branded Knight Kit.
Generally speaking, the factory Knight hardware was different than the kit models.

tonnes of information at www.alliedcatalogs.com (in the form of catalog scans).

1968: listed as Allied-Knight:
016.jpg

017.jpg

1969: Listed as Allied:

022.jpg

So I've found service manuals for sale for both the Pioneer SX-34 and SX-34B. Anyone know which one is closest to the Allied/Knight 333?

Ok. It finally arrived. Beware new sellers on the big auction site. It came in an empty cardboard box with just a couple of newspapers on one end. No bubble wrap or any fill or packaging. The box was crushed because there wasn't fill to support it and the corners on the Knight were bent. Dang! I've sent the seller a message. I'll wait a day or two before I leave an appropriate review.

Anyway, I now know I need more than knobs. The on/off switch has been replaced with an aftermarket toggle switch, so I'm missing the power switch too. That's just for starters.

I had a power supply arrive like that, the seller sent me another one packed properly the second time, they let me keep the first bent up one for parts

If the face plate itself is okay, I would ask for a partial refund to cover repairs and then enjoy doing the restoration.

If the face plate itself is okay, I would ask for a partial refund to cover repairs and then enjoy doing the restoration.

The corners on the faceplate are slightly bent. I think the damage is mostly cosmetic, I hope. It won't be a showpiece, but it could be done as a survivor. The seller replied and expressed surprise that the shipper didn't repackage it. I'm not finding that credible. I'll leave the earned review and send a communication to the auction site to let them know what happened. In the meantime I'm going to watch for the power switch and knob which wasn't part of the shipping problem.

Yeah. Sometimes a 'well-earned' review is unavoidable.

Good to hear that the amp is repairable.

Well, I haven't done anything with the receiver yet, but I picked up a second one that is in better shape but doesn't have a cover. I'll be refurb'ing both at the same time. I'm looking forward to it!

I've managed to find schematics for the Knight 333 and the Pioneer SX-34 (not the 'B' model). I've been making a list of resistors and caps to check for drift/problems. I am finding some differences between the Knight and Pioneer models in the schematic. I'll be documenting those differences for those who may care. One important difference is that the Pioneer appeared to have a selectable power supply for 110/220 and the Knight was only 110.

The input voltage option is just a transformer difference, reflecting that the SX-34 would have been sold elsewhere too.

The input voltage option is just a transformer difference, reflecting that the SX-34 would have been sold elsewhere too.

Yes, and it was an obvious cost cutting measure by Allied when selling in the North American market. I imagine that the cost difference across thousands of units would add up.

Back
Top Bottom