Walnut speaker cabinets

rob Brandt

A note on walnut speaker cabinets as I see peeps on here talking about refinishing them using stripper and varnish and all kinds of horrible materials.

No one--not a single manufacturer back then ever varnished the walnut veneer. If you see a pic with shiny cabinets and they haven't been putzed with, they are not walnut, they are vinyl.

Only use paste wax on them. That's all that was ever used. It will clean the wood, do wonders for sun damage (real wood furniture of any kind should be placed where direct sunlight hits it) and have a "glow" to it when done properly. Depending on how dry the wood is, it may take several applications to being it back to life. You really don't want to sand these cabinets unless you absolutely have to.

http://www.rockler.com/liberon-black-bison-fine-paste-wax

Agree 100%, never varnish a beautiful hardwood, oil for original finish and paste wax for maintenance. I use Carnauba wax on mine.

When I first used at the recommendation of a friend who only uses paste wax on his beautiful wood projects, I was stunned at the beauty of it. Took some work as the Imperial 9's had had very little care of their long life in this regard, but well worth it.

I have used Briwax with good results. It works well on cabinets that need a little help because the finish and color had faded over time - Chris

guess this is specific to marantz speaker cabinets. Waxing some other brands will darken the bumps and bruises.

One part turpentine to three parts boiled linseed oil rubbed with 0000 steel wool. Some might suggest 1 one to one. Don’t put Howard’s or any other garbage on your beautiful veneers. Wax is obviously fine.

guess this is specific to marantz speaker cabinets. Waxing some other brands will darken the bumps and bruises.

Naw, ARs love the wax as do others. Marantz just used really hard veneer.....

Just kidding. I only have one pair of Marantz speakers--9's. the others are JBL, AR, Altecs, etc. The bumps and bruises are okay if they get darker man--it's real wood, not plastic. Real wood has natural character and that is part of it's beauty. Go look at what real wood veneered cabs cost today and know that your vintage speakers were just as expensive in their day.

Back
Top Bottom