WALPOLE, MA - new location for the (air conditioned) New England SweatFest!!

Diapers - Check
Formula - Check
Wipes - Check
Toys - Check

:)

Kid is already hitting his second audio related event. "that's my boy"!

Just an idea, several hundred feet down the street from the Raven there's Jalapenos Grill. We went there the other night and there's a bar area with tall tables etc. That area of the restaurant might be more conducive to taking and mingling than the Raven since it's more of a dining area.

Bummed out that I had to babysit the Grandkids today. Please post all the pix.

Booby prize is we'll be watching Oz the great and powerful on Blu-Ray in a while. yippee.

Pictures!

A great time had by all!

Big time thanks to Brian aka baco99 who, when it was looking like our regular venue in Clinton wasn't going to be available he stepped up with this great space for us to use - THANKS from everyone!!

We had about 35 people attending, too much food and some great systems set up all around the facility.
We also managed to pack up our goodies, clean up the various rooms and be out of there at 4:03 - good job!

And most importantly - the A/C worked great!

P1000535.jpg

P1000536.jpg

P1000537.jpg

P1000538.jpg

P1000539.jpg

P1000540.jpg

P1000541.jpg

P1000542.jpg

P1000543.jpg

P1000544.jpg

P1000546.jpg

P1000547.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a really fun day and sadly I wasn't able to attend (friggin work). Hopefully I'll make the next one.

Kid is already hitting his second audio related event. "that's my boy"!

What's Jordan's AK handle? I want to ask him about some gear suggestions. ;)

Guys and Gals:

Very nice to see all of you again and to meet some new folks. I appreciate everyone's thanks and help with cleanup and setup. We left the space looking better than it was when we got there.

Also, thanks for the complements on the DQ-10s. They were a lot of work and it's nice to know that others can appreciate the effort as much as I can.

For those of you in the room when "Ready to Die" by Notorious BIG was on, I apologize. I had to relive high school for a sec.

Don, Jim and Tom, thanks for helping to organize and showing up early to help set up.

Todd, your arsenal of gear continues to impress. I have to admit, I liked the Ohms better than the Tannoys. They had such and enveloping presence in that huge room. Very nice.

Also, I thought Don's near field room was my favorite part of the day. I only was in there for about 15 mins, but was highly impressed. Small power, big impact. And so sweet.

Mike, great talking with you. Your knowledge of music production was quite interesting. I'll never think of Phil Colin's the same way again ! And enjoy those KEFs.

Thanks all. I hope you enjoyed yourselves. I know I did. See you in Oktober.

Brian, thank you for being a wonderful host for the day. I am very glad that you were able to revive the Dahlquist.
As for the Ohm vs the Tannoy, that's a real tough call. I am a sucker for oddball speakers and love the styling of the Ohms.:tresbon: The sound of the Tannoys is just pure wow though.:drool::drool:
See you all next time.:thmbsp:

Thank you BACO99 and thanks everyone for another great get together. Every time I attend I learn something new, (thank you Don and Paul), make new friends and gain weight... Already looking forward to the next one!

It was great to see everyone again and meet some new friends. Thanks for hosting baco99 and also for the sub (it cleared the WAF hurdle with room to spare :). Your refurb of the DQ-10's was a huge success and it was great to hear some of my 'bucket list' speakers today (those and the Ohm F's). Toss in another great sounding setup from Don and one of Jim's monster receiver systems and the day was complete :).

I'm already looking forward to the next one...

jblnut

Those classy Dahlquists blew my mind! The Notorious Big sounded notoriously clean! And Don's "near field" set-up was really remarkable. Other highlights were those room-filling Tannoys! Incredible sound from the early 60's. I also enjoyed exploring the rest of that old factory with my friend John (and his groovy girlfriend, Meg). Good times, great people, spectacular equipment...in short, a very pleasant afternoon....

Thank you Brian! Good to catch up with everyone, see some great systems and get a healthy dose of co-dependent enabling to carry me through until fall :D.

Also glad I found those DQ10's and was able to give them a listen before I left, those sounded really well suited to the acoustic guitar track I heard playing on them (Dan Crary maybe?)

Here's the playlist:

"Nocturnes Nr. 6, a-moll"
Isabelle Oemichen
Czerny: Nocturnes Op. 368, 604 Et647

"Here We Go Again"
Ray Charles & Norah Jones
Genius Loves Company

"Senor Blues"
Taj Mahal
Senor Blues

"Walking On The Moon"
Roseaux ft. Aloe Blacc
Roseaux ft. Aloe Blacc

"Strange Things"
Roseaux ft. Aloe Blacc
Roseaux ft. Aloe Blacc

"Counting Stars"
One Republic
Native

"Blown Away"
Carrie Underwood
Blown Away

"Mama's Broken Heart"
Miranda Lambert
Four The Record

"Lo Que Trago Es Salsa"
The Latin Giants of Jazz
Ven Baila Conmigo

"No Worries"
Robert Glasper
Double Booked

"End Of The Rainbow"
Van Morrison
Born to Sing: No Plan B

"Did I Let You Know"
Red Hot Chili Peppers
I'm With You

"When The City Lights Dim"
Cold Specks
I Predict a Graceful Expulsion

"Lovesong"
Adele

"Boy"
Emma Louise
Vs Head Vs Heart

"Lights"
Ellie Goulding
Halcyon

"Shield & Sword"
Active Child
You Are All I See

What a freakin' great day. Until you participate in one of these things you just don't get how cool it can be.

Walking into the tube room was mind blowing- it felt like walking into live music. I was ready to sit down and order, it was just absolutely phenomenal. Bozak + Barzilay (sp?) is the stuff. You need a big room, but it would be worth moving for. period. That is exactly what a large room, every large room, should sound like. I would have bought 3 meals and 10 drinks just to stay there and let that guy blow sax.

Hearing your own music (that you didn't like enough to keep, so you put it in the FREE pile....) through someone else's system is a good way to make a crow sandwich. I got my music-snobby-I-don't-like-this-or-that-arse handed to me. Dang. Notorious BIG is well constructed (and it needs a subwoofer. it just does.) And Phil Collins *ahem* (chew, chew, slurp) is really, really good. I've spun that stuff for years and actually heard what was really going on for the first time today. It's great stuff. And I just gave it away. :nerd:

See what it needed was resolution, which evidently *I * didn't have but Baco's DQ's did. In spades. Not a rock and funk speaker maybe (or get yer sub back :) ) but DANG. Being able to hear multitracking on a vocal is one thing but being able to hear where each one (3 background + main vocal) was mixed L/R was just stunning. I really didn't know it was such a great record. And when we ran a Jewel CD through 'em (yup. another one I gave away) you could hear the texture of her voice stay while her position to the mic changed- THAT is freaking amazing. God I love those things.

There was a beautiful B&O system there- what stereo would James Bond adjust while he was removing the knickers from a Russian spy? That one. He might've scored the Bozak's too, but he probably had to detonate a plutonium mine to get them.
And it was worth it.

I think the highlight of the day for me was hearing a new Peter Gabriel album- no drums, no guitar, just a frickin' symphony. I can't even describe how well it fit, it was just right. I'm sure the stuff in the near field room and retromans Fisher helped an awful lot, but all I cared about was that record. Pizzicato Cellos and a slow swell from the tenor horns is the right thing to put behind his voice.

I really wish my kids could've come and be exposed to something beyond Dad's living room, it's a big world out there. Sometimes, like today, it's a big freakin' awesome world out there.

Thanks to one and all.
Especially those that brought cookies. And crab cakes (or whatever they were) and ghost pepper salsa. Dang what a good day.

Last edited:
Baco99-----

I'm sitting here and spinning 10,000 Maniacs-In My Tribe/Like the Weather-- yup, the KEF's are all that and a bag a' chips.

My son might not (probably not) get these. He can suck up and take the ESS AMT II's.:thmbsp:

Now I need some REM, The Smiths, The Cramps, the whole 4AD catalogue......

Wow, what a meet! :yes: Thanks to Brian for hosting, and to everyone who showed up, or tried to show up. Quite an interesting space; less room for isolated listening areas than I'm used to, but a wonderful location otherwise. Definitely glad I didn't delay the clear-out too much, especially with the late start I got on taking my gear down.

I hope people enjoyed my crazy B&O system, and weren't too annoyed when I started playing my own goofy music through it. :worried: I also hope that the equipment I sold provides lots of enjoyment for its new owners, especially the gentleman who bought my Pioneer TT. Anyway, can't wait for the next gathering! :thmbsp:
-Adam

Wow, what a meet! :yes: Thanks to Brian for hosting, and to everyone who showed up, or tried to show up. Quite an interesting space; less room for isolated listening areas than I'm used to, but a wonderful location otherwise. Definitely glad I didn't delay the clear-out too much, especially with the late start I got on taking my gear down.

I hope people enjoyed my crazy B&O system, and weren't too annoyed when I started playing my own goofy music through it. :worried: I also hope that the equipment I sold provides lots of enjoyment for its new owners, especially the gentleman who bought my Pioneer TT. Anyway, can't wait for the next gathering! :thmbsp:
-Adam

"the man that bought your TT is no gentleman"
-my mother in law

hey, when the ladies right she's right :dunno:
I can't wait to move a cart over onto it. Right now I can't stop listening to the KEF's. I think this is the definitioin of sh...(something)eating grin.

BTW, you spun some wild stuff today, I wanted to ask what it was but I couldn't be in 8 places at once.

(you really do still need an RCA superhetrodyne co-pilot in that Honda):banana:

"the man that bought your TT is no gentleman"
-my mother in law

hey, when the ladies right she's right :dunno:
I can't wait to move a cart over onto it. Right now I can't stop listening to the KEF's. I think this is the definitioin of sh...(something)eating grin.

BTW, you spun some wild stuff today, I wanted to ask what it was but I couldn't be in 8 places at once.

(you really do still need an RCA superhetrodyne co-pilot in that Honda):banana:

I was taught to be respectful of my elders, ya know...... :D Seriously, though, I really hope you like it. I didn't have a lot of time to listen to it, but what I did hear was quite good. If you end up simply fitting a new stylus to the ADC LM-I cartridge, I strongly suggest double-checking that the cartridge is installed straight in the headshell slots, and at the recommended 49mm overhang point before you start cueing up records.

The wildest stuff I played was my own crazy keyboard-driven low-fi music, via my surely-now-infamous cheesy "SCREAM'R" mixtape. If you care to hear more of it, go to my SoundCloud page. Otherwise, the material I played was mostly conventional (Steely Dan - Aja, Renaissance - Turn of the Cards). Wish I'd been able to play more of my records, but time was understandably limited.

The RCA would've made a fine addition to my antique radio collection if I had the room for it, not to mention a way to get it home. Besides, I don't think those RCA consoles had driving capabilities added until well after WWII. ;)
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom