WALPOLE, MA - new location for the (air conditioned) New England SweatFest!!

Who'r you callin' and elder you gol'dang'blast'd whipper-snapper
old-man-with-cane1.jpg

everybody want's to take away my drivers liscence, and my radios' drivers liscence too, thar radios been driving since 1938 and never had an accident unless you count those cows... and that playground

Well,
My muscles are sore, my bank account is smaller, my inventory of projects is larger and my office system is still in boxes.

At the same time, my spirit is renewed, my knowledge has been expanded, my interest is piqued, and my direction is again refined by yet another get-together with people I have an increasingly strong connection with.

It was a pleasure to see the energy people put into sharing their hobby with others.

These things always go by too fast. I'm sure glad some people walk around with cameras and take pictures. I barely had time to visit the food table and even then found myself famished when I got home.

It was a lot of fun to set up in a new place that offered different types of listening spaces than Frank's ambient environment does. The primary workshops this time around were listening room workshops. It was great fun to see setups meant to address small rooms, setups for larger rooms, setups for any rooms, and the setup of edrooms.

It was great to finally hear a pair of the Ohm Fs and big Tannoys. Also, it was a pleasure to hear a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s. The Pioneer SX-1250 continues to amaze me with its consistent presentation of music.

Also, I have wanted to show off my near-field listening system for a while. I confess that my little Technics SL-5 lab turntable always shows off better than I expect it will. It's just so portable. Close it and play it.
Thanks to all who came by to listen for your comments and your thoughts.

Brian (baco99) - thanks for stepping up and offering an alternative location so we could keep the announced date for the sweatfest. You'd stated that you had a hard stop at 4:00 and someone said the place was emptied, cleaned up, locked, and you were on your way home at 4:05. That's really quite exceptional. Thank you.

Frank - it was great to see you out of your native environment. Even in this location there still didn't seem to be enough time to talk and share, even though you were a guest instead of host.

Jim - You've really built a great momentum for these events. Thanks for your tireless efforts.

It is great to see all the Boston Audio Society members who come. We love to share and the ties are growing stronger.

To all first timers-come again. To all veterans, please keep coming. To John In MA, it was great to play theme music while you opened a gift to celebrate your 30th birthday.

I really appreciate all the people who step up and help move, light, sweep, vacuum, carry and coordinate a great volunteer effort.
Don

It was lovely to see everyone. I'll add my thanks to Brian, Jim, and everyone else who made it possible. Is Feb the projected date for the next gathering?

Bruce

another fun ak fest!

Thank you organizers and our host Baco!

Thanks to all the folks who brought in great gear to demo and share. It was a fine small parade of fantastic audio systems from vintage to modern and back again.

It is fantastic to share this hobby with my fellow ak'rs!

I got some great jazz lps from Tom and Richard -- hoping to get some spin time in today to continue the party.

looking forward to the next one.

Stephanie

It was definitely a fun day! To everyone that I didn't get to shake hands with before I left, hope to see you at the next summer fest when I get done with my last year of college!!! Thanks for another great fest

So fortunate to have so many excellent local audio aficionados here in New England. Just a great group of people, some very talented too.

Thanks to all who put in such great effort and hardworking to make the evening a huge success.

That was a great event.
Thanks Baco for the great organization.
Looking forward for the next year gathering - maybe I'll bring some equipment too.

We had a couple of guys with us Saturday who are tube audio gear manufacturers.
They were there informally, just selling tubes, IEC cables and speaker wires, along with a few used components, but if my little SETup in the near-field listening room piqued the interest of enough people, maybe we can convince them to come to the FrankenFest and do a setup.
I don't even know that they'd be interested. I'm just putting it out there.
No affiliation, just interest.

Joe and Dave from Art Audio.
They make some of the most beautiful and lush sounding stuff you could possibly experience.
http://www.artaudio.com/productindex.html

if they want to set up a $15000 amp for us to gawk over, more power to them!

will there be a gathering in October?

Yes - there will be a GTG in October - November.
I just need to pin down the date with Frank.

The guys from Art Audio expressed interest in attending. While they recognized that they weren't likely to sell any big systems they liked just talking with folks and getting their name out there.

I'd rather see Art Audio set up a used $1500 amp . . . that's somewhat within some of our stretch budgets given the horse-trading we do.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to attend the SweatFest but I'd be willing to lug my Rogue Audio 88 and 99 to the fall GTG. Since there is little in the way of affordable American made tube gear, I think these would be a fine example. I purchased both off the used market with about $2200 invested. Less than some high end power cords or interconnects. If someone is interested in pairing up with maybe a larger bookshelf or mini-monitor or wants to lug their speakers to hear them on some tube gear, let me know.

Gawking is OK but please don't drool due to the high voltage! :nono:

Sorry to have missed this. I've got way too much going on to have even given it much thought. Too bad b/c it looks like a terrific new space! One of these 'fests, I want to haul my main system out and set it up; Well Tempered Record Player and all.

with any luck, we won't have any more events at the Walpole location because the space will have been leased to a paying tenant!!!

;)

But if it's still vacant, I'm sure we can use it again.

If we could get access to the rest of that place we could have a killer warehouse rave.

the thought has crossed our minds but for 2 things: 1) Walpole is not the "rave" community, and 2) our insurance co would not have it.

What's the history on the building, anyway? I snuck a few behind-the-scenes looks and it's a really cool old place.

Walpole Station Business Center

What's the history on the building, anyway? I snuck a few behind-the-scenes looks and it's a really cool old place.

well, since you asked...

The original factory that lived there in the late 1800's has long since been gone. But right around 1910, The Kendall Company built the small 2-story wood frame building that still faces West Street (75 West). The Kendall Company made gauze and bandages from cotton. (I believe they also held several patents for stretchable bandages and certain feminine hygiene products that were made at this location. At one point, Walpole was the Kendall HQ.).

The location straddling the Neponset River and directly adjacent to the train tracks was ideal for them. Bales of cotton were brought in by rail and off-loaded into the rearmost building which, then processed, cleaned, processed again, and turned into saleable product. (Also, an interesting note, you all were standing on top of the Neponset River during the meet-up. The river was culverted some time in the early 1900s when the factory was expanded, and remains that way today. The property manages the on-site manually operated damn with the assistance of the EPA.)

At one time there were over 20 structures on that site, including water tanks, solvent tanks, silos, barns, and several others. The current site is about 7 acres, but was once closer to 20 acres, and extended across the train tracks to the north where the existing MBTA train stop sits, and to the east where the MBTA manages about 200 commuter parking spaces.

In the 1980s, the Kendall Company bandage division was bought by Tyco Healthcare. Tyco merged operations with other similar brands in the late 1990s. Then the Covidien brand was spun from Tyco Healthcare as Tyco worldwide was broken into its strategic business units. Kendall stayed in operation until roughly 1995 when the last of the management and marketing staff were relocated.

Since the early 1990s the buildings have been pared down, the site has been cleaned up SIGNIFICANTLY, and it's home to over 15 tenants, Mortgage Master being the largest one.

The site also houses over 250 commuter parking spaces which are full nearly every work day.

Last year, my firm, along with three other local real estate firms, together acquired the 9 remaining Kendall buildings and parking. Since last May we have redone the common area finishes, updated some of the mechanical and electrical equipment, and rebranded the entire campus "Walpole Station Business Center." With my focus on sustainability, I am assisting the team in assessing building improvements that will reduce the building's, and its occupants', carbon footprint.

We are hoping the campus will remain a center of commerce and innovation for the town of Walpole for many, many years to come.

Back
Top Bottom