"War of the Worlds"

tdst51 said:
That Tom Cruise has to be one of the worst actors I've ever seen

I have to say that I am not a fan of him myself. Im boycotting hollywood.
People should try it. It's fun and definitely free. :thmbsp:

kc8mob said:
I have to say that I am not a fan of him myself. Im boycotting hollywood.
People should try it. It's fun and definitely free. :thmbsp:

Me and you both KC... I haven't been to see a movie, or even rented a DVD in ages. I decided that if Hollywood was so bereft of new material that all they could do was remake classics... They didn't need my money.

I mean c'mon, Flight of the Phoenix? Some how Dennis Quaid feels qualified to reprise Jimmy Stewart? Geez... CGI airplanes (or spaceships - Battleships - etc) don't cover for the fact that you're incapable of telling a story.

Hollywood's been freaking the last couple years because people aren't coming to see films at the theatres. Here's a hint! Tell a story you nimrods, preferably one we haven't already heard a half dozen times!

One huge problem that I have with the new version that I didn't mention earlier was the fact that there were no full on battle scenes with our military and the aliens. There is only a reference with the actual battle being fought on the other side of a hill. We never actually see any of it. Come on, a huge budget and no battle sequences! You would think that with todays effects technology that they would depict at least one grand confrontation. After all this is "War of the Worlds". At least in the original, they did a have a great battle scene with great special effects for their day. I'll never forget seeing our weapons and soldiers being disintegrated as a kid. Also, I loved the cool shots of our artillary trying to penetrate the alien force fields surrounding the alien ships. Remember also, that Gordon Jennings and his effects team were working on a limited budget. What imagination and genious these guys displayed. These people were pioneers that todays effects technicians owe a debt of gratitude to.

Sbarber, Good point. Even the novel had some battle scenes.

The reason WotW works for me is, if normal people were put in a similar situation I believe they would act like the people did on screen. Whether I care for the characters or not, in my mind the acting was believable for the given situation.

Just my (dissenting) opinion - no biggy :)

Jesse Garron said:
Dammit man! I hate it when people blab the ending of a movie! I was looking forward to renting this.

:)

Is that how it ended? I thought the boat would resurface, everyone climbs abord and sails back to shore........

Oh wait....i was watching it backwards.. :no:

I found it really bad, esp. that the human race didnt get extinct. They had absolutly no chance to win the war against the aliens but only survive because the alien gets a cold

For the day, I would think this to be a pretty creative ending. I only saw it because I wanted to see the tripods. The movie sucked, IMO, and I will stick with my vinyl copy of Jeff Wayne's musical WOTW and leave the images to my brain. However, certain scenes were kinda cool/gross (ie - when the martians are "feeding").

FlorianW said:
I found it really bad, esp. that the human race didnt get extinct. They had absolutly no chance to win the war against the aliens but only survive because the alien gets a cold :scratch2:

Sorry Guys, but that's the way H. G. Wells wrote it.

Part of the irony in the book/film

I too felt the movie missfired somehow but the scene that really got me laughing was when they emerged from their home in the morning to find the neighborhood in ruins, a plane on the front lawn etc yet there was still a clear path for them to drive away in their SUV....or did I fall asleep and just dream that sequence?

Cheers

markdi said:
what I want to know is

when will they make a movie where the aliens win ?

So true!

This is why i loved the beginning of the "Hitchikers Guide Trough the Galaxy" (Sorry i dont know exactly how to spell it in english).

The earth is in the way and they just blow it up. Simply, its in the way....

Awsome!

But the rest of the movie sucked :boring:

It was bad but far from the worst I've ever seen. I did appreciate some of the homage paid to George Pal's version and the SFX, while there was far too much of it, was well done.

One a scale of 1 to 10 I would give Spielberg's "War of the Worlds" a 5.

Since "Mars Attacks", a movie of which I am a huge fan, I have been unable to watch any movie with evil aliens without hearing "Indian Love Call" somewhere in the depths of my sick mind. :yes:

Hitchikers Guide through the Galaxy is somehow hilarious... Yeah me too I'm giving "War of the Worlds" a 5... when I saw the previews I thought it was a great movie but hell no! lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://mydvdreviews.com

I did watch a friend's DVD of WOTW a couple weeks ago. Thankfully, I found no evidence of Cruise-injected wacky Scientology stuff buried in the script - except possibly that plot point that the aliens had come to earth millenia ago and planted their invasion machines thousands of years ahead of time.

But like most Spielberg movies, it had the requisite sappy happy ending which I always find incredibly grating. And for me - the movie's worst sin - the battle scenes didn't happen onscreen. Not much "war" in WOTW.

Back
Top Bottom