1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

Was 1967-1971 really the best sound?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gear - Top Performers' started by My3kidsdad, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Roy Skinner

Roy Skinner AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am still trying to learn how to communicate on this site. I attempted to get to this little box to write in and it didn't come up. It allowed me to type on the screen below Kent's message. I hope that I did not step on someones toes because of unfamiliarity.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JH Magnecord

JH Magnecord Member

No. They'd just changed over to silicon transistors (from Germanium) and, were slowly working-out how to get the biasing characteristics of making higher-powered units a feasible reality; without them (either) blowing up or the sound being totally sterile.
    The third generation of solid state (1971-1975) was when everything seemed to come together --- still no "space saving"-build cost-cutting; most point-to-point connections hard wired instead of brittle wirewrap terminations; and transistor topology was finally proven enough.
    The imported brands, though, which got better and came into their own by the late-'70s (while the rest were dumping everything into "monster" units) were Yamaha and Onkyo. The Yamahas were the first with a dedicated headphone amp circuit.

rob Brandt likes this.
  3. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Absolutely not, there's not any magic era of products. You have to compare everything on an individual basis, generalizing will only help you to rule out good options, and consider things which aren't otherwise in the running.

Bill Ferris, spark1 and elcoholic like this.
  4. rob Brandt

rob Brandt Member

every review magazine out there rated the Marantz 250 amplifier as the finest--period. You can find the mags online at the radio museum website. It was that amp that had Mac owners claiming to be just as good back in the day. They still do to this day. No other amp from that period ever produced the midrange the 250 is famous for. As far as the bass goes, the reason people bought Marantz gear over Mac gear was the superior bass in the first place. It's known as a legendary amp for a reason. The beauty of it is, if you can't afford the 250, you can get the much cheaper 240. They are the same, sans meters. the 250M is no where near as good sound, but it may be prettier VU meter wise.

5. pdm4606

pdm4606 Super Member

You're all correct. There were great times and equipment made in the 70's, 60's and 90's through to the 18's. It was all great. Maybe some not so much but made affordable and efficient.
    You gotta be in the lower end of the industry from way back and see the changes and differences.
    I can't imagine the stuff I did way back in the 50's, 60's and 70's to get stuff to work. None of that now for me too old. But I still enjoy puttzing, as my wife calls it. I tune, retune, rewire, switch things around. I could never do that in my youth as I worked 70 hours a week.
    With all my knowledge I have gained from the 50's til now, I thoroughly enjoy my electronic life.

6. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Certainly neither my impression nor my opinion.

Perhaps the best all-around amplifiers I've heard with my own ears were made in the 1940s by RCA.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    maxhifi and rob Brandt like this.

7. Cylontymany

Cylontymany Well-Known Member

1975-1980 for me

Bill Ferris likes this.
  8. lbls1

lbls1 Active Member

1977 - the present were the best sound from receivers IMO.

Bill Ferris and Ronald.C like this.
  9. rob Brandt

rob Brandt Member

If OP is on a budget and wants a very under rated (modern times) but excellent buiild quality unit, then I would suggest doing some research on Heathkit products. Doesn't matter who put it together because it will likely need a rebuild anyway. All handmade, all discrete (AFAIK) and sever units were class A/B. I really like my 1640 Amp--totally powerful beast.

Ds2000 likes this.
  10. Numone

Numone Member

Well, all I can say is our TEAC AS200S amp from 1970 sounds great. Just need to sort out the hum which has developed over the past few months.
    Then again, our JVC AX-3 Super A amp from 1980 also sounds wonderful.

Ds2000 likes this.
  11. maxhifi

OK so unless you're old enough that you went to a movie in 1949, what were the circumstances? I'm a sucker for any piece of RCA gear whose model starts with MI.

Ds2000 likes this.

12. mhardy6647

I know a fellow who is running a pair of those on electrodynamic loudspeakers (in a purpose-built space). Amazing sound, just amazing.

Ds2000 likes this.
  13. maxhifi

Wow, that's quite an experience. Is he using MI-1428s?

14. mhardy6647

yes. eight of 'em.

Ds2000 likes this.
  15. maxhifi

Oh wow, that's incredible, I'd buy tickets to hear that system!