1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Was there a time when silver face gear was considered obsolete?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Dazaa, Nov 8, 2018.

1. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Still can.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

Speaking as a former Z28 owner, that was not a mistake.

polypetalous, autoanalog and GChief like this.
  3. Mlistens03

Mlistens03 Active Member

Silver faced gear is in my opinion better. Looks wise, I mean. If I had the option of silver or black (That sound identical; even a slight advantage to black sound wise and I'd go for it instead), it'd be silver all the way.
    Although I didn't grow up with silver faced gear, I know my grandparents, who did grow up with it, think it's "tacky," whatever that means. :)

4. autoanalog

autoanalog Justin Credible

Perhaps this was a factor as well. :rflmao:
    back1.jpg

Ds2000 likes this.
  5. GChief

GChief Not well known, super member or other silliness Subscriber

I agree but I do have a Yamaha R700 as a back up. I picked it up strictly for the nostalgia, it was the first model I bought new with my own money at 16.
    40FADAA8-1E41-469B-BDD3-AD0ADDCB3442.jpeg

6. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think the general public still considers it obsolete.

They're not completely wrong; newer high end gear really is better than your grandpa's Marantz 2270.

However, grandpa's Marantz is still probably better than a $200 receiver from Best Buy or Costco. Levels.

DaveVoorhis and GChief like this.

7. E-Stat

Agree, my brother had an '82 that gave him lots of problems. I bought a '78 Trans Am new with several initial problems. After eighteen months, the AC compressor had failed. Time to bail. While it was fun to drive (did some Herb Adams mods on it), I replaced it with a Honda. And driven them ever since.

I never tire of quality construction and reliability. :)

DaveVoorhis likes this.
  8. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

What would their opinion be of gold faced gear like an old Pilot, Fisher, Scott etc.? :)

9. GChief

GChief Not well known, super member or other silliness Subscriber

You can probably answer that yourself, if you look at his age most of us could be his grandparents or great grandparents :cool:

10. E-Stat

To each his own. My preference for black anodized aluminum was shaped as a teenager by these components:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Marine0811 and musichal like this.
  11. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

These classic car arguments of value from the 60's are just great. Lets just remember what people made. Back in 1965 Federal Minimum Wage was $1.25, and in 1968 it was $1.60.

A mid 60's corvette was in the mid $4000. A Charger or GTO was in the $3000's. The Mustangs and Cameros were more affordable with the former in the low $2000's, and the later in the higher $2000's. A Firebird was in the mid 2000's.

So for a person earning minimum wage, buying a Charger represented 2187 hours of work at the higher minimum wage, and 2800 hours at the lower. Of course those are gross wages, and we have to take out numbers for taxes paid. That represents over 70 weeks of work before taxes, and of course that is the whole pay check, so you have nothing to live on. And those are base prices for your average Chargers, GTO's and what not, not the specialty cars that command the big money at auction.

Of course how many people put their Camero SS or GTO in the garage under a car cloth, and drove it once every three months to keep it runnable? If you expect to get $50,000 plus for a real GTO Judge you have to restore it, and have you looked at those restoration costs? You are not netting $50K, heck you are probably lucky to net $20K in most cases.

Now for fun lets do a search for what $3500 is worth today if invested. I used a historical calculator for the S&P 500 and inputted $3500 invested Jan1, 1965. Its value today would be $589,845. Looks like that is a better return on investment than a classic car.

Just for fun , lets put a classic receiver cost in there, lets say $300 from 1974. It returns $107,861.

https://us.spindices.com/indexology/djia-and-sp-500/birthday-calculator

Finding a historical calculator that goes that far back is actually quite difficult. That is the one I used, but there might be others, and the numbers returned could be different if it used the Dow Jones.

That was fun.

Cheers
    Mister Pig

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    tom67 likes this.

12. peerson

peerson Well-Known Member

IN 1977, I bought a Brand New Monte Carlo right off the dealers showroom floor. $ 4,900.

13. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

The calculator shows that amount invested in 1977 would return $428,433 today. That is a nice return. But that was a lot of money back then.....well heck you could get a new car for that amount. :cool:

Cheers
    Mister Pig

14. peerson

peerson Well-Known Member

Yep. In 1977 I was making $ 8,800/year. Times have certainly changed

15. W9TR

W9TR Well-Known Member

Some silver faced gear looks great - like the SX 1250 and its Marantz brethren. Some looks just incredibly cheesy. Consider a Sanyo cassette deck as a great example of cheese.

Some black faced gear looks awesome - like the big SAE 2600 amplifier, Threshold, Classe', there are many others. I'd say the vast majority of newer black face gear look cheesy - especially with all the logos and other busy crap that ends up on the front panel.

Having both Silver and Black is a logistics nightmare for the manufacturers that have to forecast and build this stuff and inevitably get it wrong - but a lot of manufacturers still offer both.

So for me it is more the individual pieces and their design that matters, rather than the color of the faceplates....

Then there's McIntosh - love it or hate it they haven't changed much in the last 50 years so my 40 year old MR-77 tuner looks at home next to current production gear.

16. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

Im sorta of the opinion that the point was, had you still HAD one of these, instead of disposing of it, the parts market alone is worth many times the original purchase price.

17. Mlistens03

Mlistens03 Active Member

I'd guess tacky. They think all audio gear is "out of style" because you can now get sound in such a small package (actually, Grandma believes this, and Grandpa goes with whatever she says :p ), that there is no reason for it. But vinyl records/silver faced/champagne/gold/etc. is tackier.
    This does mean however that I got their old subwoofer from their home theater. That thing could pound out the bass notes, and then with speed and accuracy play a quick drum beat. :)

18. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

There is a time when nearly all consumer audio gear falls out of favor. None of them are truly obsolete with the exception of mono tube tuners, preamps, and integrateds amps but even those retain some value. (Bi-naural stereo tuners are obsolete.) If you have been around audio like I have, you have probably heard stories of grail items being sold for peanuts. For example, in the late seventies, people were trading in McIntosh and Marantz tubes for peanuts. One old timer used to specialize in Marantz tubes and sold dozens of second hand sets for what today would be the deal of the century. Even the great Marantz 2500 receiver was discarded by the pallet. My tech had the opportunity to buy a pallet of returned 2500 but passed. He said there was no market for them at the time.

19. Dazaa

Dazaa Super Member

Lots of very interesting posts so far. I probably worded the initial question incorrectly, in that I know all vintage gear is obsolete by most of societies standards but it has a big following amongst hobbyists, and if there was ever a time when even the top end stuff wasn't desirable to collectors. Lots of comments have confirmed that this was infact true.

20. Dazaa

Dazaa Super Member

As a 23 year old (ie too young to have experienced this era and having grown up knowing all Marantz receivers are £££) this absolutely astounds me.