Watching Bladerunner on Laserdisc...

My favorite LD is "The Hunt for Red October": Later DVDs and BDs didn't do it justice. The first DVD had poor video quality, the BD was OK, but wasn't the same. I also had a Sony beast, a KDL-36XBR250. It weighed in at 235lbs. We left it in the box and slid it up the stairway. It wasn't easy. I had a solid oak entertainment center at the time with an upper and lower "bridge" between the two cabinets. The upper for the center channel speaker, the lower for the TV. The shelf for the TV had two steel square tube braces running from side to side. We noticed the shelf bending slightly after about 6 months. I eventually gave the TV away----but they had to carry it out.

Thot Total Recall 4/5th of a good movie with an ridiculous "we are out of time and money, finish it" ending.

As opposed to the remake, 1/5th of a good movie; visuals. I like the Schwarzenegger one, primarily for Paul Verhoeven's directorial chops & of course, Michael Ironside.

You can have a pretty good mini film fest w. Verhoeven. Start on Robocop, then Total Recall, and finish w/ Starship Troopers.

Verhoeven's always been big on social commentary and does it without coming across as preachy. All 3 of those might make my sci-fi Top 10 actually.

Language -

Verhoeven's always been big on social commentary and does it without coming across as preachy. All 3 of those might make my sci-fi Top 10 actually.
If you haven't seen it yet, watch "Elle." Word is, no US female actor would take the role so he had to film in Europe. He's still got the chops.

The other LD version I have is a two disc (CAV) release of the director's cut, WB 12682, no voiceover. Dolby Surround, too.

Cheers,
Larry B.

This is the one I have, too. I'm going to have to find a bluray or plain old DVD with the voiceover, and watch that to see which one I like best. guessing it will be "without". I hadn't watched a laser disc in years, but you guys made me hook it up and run it. Can't find the remote for the machine, but it seemed to work fine. I've got a box of old remotes somewhere, maybe.

Last edited:
I was firmly in the "with voiceover" camp, but I've since watched the other one several times now, and it certainly makes it a different movie. The original has more of a '40s "film noir" feel to it, which I think works with the visual presentation. OTOH, without Ford's narration, it's faster paced and more like what Ridley intended, so it has its place, too.

Nice to have "with" and "without" to choose from, dontcha think? Unlike Lucas' ill-advised meddling with the Star Wars original trilogy.

Cheers,
Larry B.

To the OP, I don't mean to change the subject, but what is that Sony in the lower right of your audio rack? It doesn't have enough knobs to be a receiver. A tuner, maybe?

To the OP, I don't mean to change the subject, but what is that Sony in the lower right of your audio rack? It doesn't have enough knobs to be a receiver. A tuner, maybe?

Correct. It's a Sony ST-3950 tuner. It usually matches the TA-3650 amp that sits above it, but I'm using a Sansui AU-417 at the moment.

Lee.

Cool. I knew it was Sony, I just couldn't tell what. BTW, I'm fixin' a little Sansui AU-217 now. Nice little integrated amp.

Not just that one, THX-1138 did not escape his fiddling either.

He messed with THX-1138?
I was not aware.
What was done to it?
Can the versions be told apart?

I have not seen this film in years, but I remember it as having an impact on me as a teen.

Listening to Jean Michel Jarre -Oxygene right now. This could easily been in the soundtrack to Bladerunner.

Lee.

Thread necromancing!

Loved the original Runner and have it on LD and DVD. Anyone want to share their opinion on the "sequel"?

All my laser discs are in the closet and the laser disc player underneath the stairs. Lol. It still works and is the 2 sided pioneer. I remember at Laserland there were rumors that movies were going to be on the size of a cd. I said there is no way they can fit a movie on a cd man was I wrong. Lol

Thread necromancing!

Loved the original Runner and have it on LD and DVD. Anyone want to share their opinion on the "sequel"?

I saw BR 2049 when it came out and liked it then. I have seen it several times since then and have caught something new each time.

I have the directors cut dvd, I guess I need to find this criterian version ?

I liked Hauer in The Hitcher and Ladyhawk.

Thread necromancing!

Iconic films like that are hard to follow up with a sequel.
This one after all these years really did a fine, fine job for a sequel.
The CGI, the mood, the lighting, the style, the Vangelis music, all of it was very faithful to the original.
At least in this movie fans opinion.

In the original, I consider the death scene at the end as the best soliloquy in any movie made.
Definitely in any science fiction movie I know of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom