We’ve seen the floating platter TT , but here’s a hands on review , well sorta

Audiofreak71

Boerboelicious
Subscriber

Thought it was kinda cool to see an non audiophile review this table , kinda funny but you get a better idea of the actual table than there website imo .

Audiofreak71

The platter appears to be unbalanced so the TT features its own "magnetic warp", certainly a first for turntables.

In any case, it's a wonder it simply works.

The platter appears to be unbalanced so the TT features its own "magnetic warp", certainly a first for turntables.

In any case, it's a wonder it simply works.

It did look wobbly and it seemed to take awhile to get up to speed , I wonder if one of the magnets was slightly off if that would throw the whole platter off ? . $2900 is no chump change so you would think they thought of the little things .

Audiofreak71

For $3M and that level of an unbalanced platter, which looks pretty bad and continuous in my estimation, I'd be sending her back. Disappointing. Thanks for posting.

That thing is a piece of shit. I'v already said it before you can't levitate the platter without doing it for the arm and keeping it on the same plain. The isolation will be all wrong, any bounce the arm will move and the platter will not. As one can clearly see in this vid the VTA is under constant change

Wow. I've seen cheap $50 USB decks with less platter wobble. Every album you own now plays like its warped, how cool is that! It's a cool idea, but without being able to properly deal with the torque from the platter wanting to fly off sideways and the weight of the tonearm wanting to make it dip when lowered, that deck is a no go for me.

The platter was wobbling long before the arm lowered. I hope this is a problem with this specific table but if it's not they will not be selling a lot of turntables to those who prefer one without wobbling. I had been looking forward to seeing one of these and well, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

I'v already said it before you can't levitate the platter without doing it for the arm and keeping it on the same plain.

The Verdier Platine is magnetically levitated. It's not junk lol.

La-Platine-Verdier-TT.jpg

The Verdier Platine is magnetically levitated. It's not junk lol.

La-Platine-Verdier-TT.jpg
It is and most likely has a shaft in the magnet bearing. But still even that kind of bearing is not good IMHO and it doesn't mater who's table it is. When the arm doesn't stay fixed on the same plain as the platter we get issues with skipping. If you use that design with a poured slab platform and a 300 lb table it should work fine. But most real world living spaces are going to have some movement with a light table. They would be far better off putting magnetic isolation or levitation under the whole table where it will help.

Iirc, Stanton marketed a turntable with a magnetic platter suspension that took some weight off the thrust bearing. Is the Verdier like that? It would allow a stable arm/ platter relationship.

The noise it was making when the support posts retracted was a deal breaker by itself. But Lew nailed it. The whole point of this thing seems to be "stand there with a goofy smile while your friends are amazed, briefly, by a floating platter, make some sort of Marty McFly reference, and lose interest."

Oh, and by the way, when you're not playing records you can cook on it.

It is and most likely has a shaft in the magnet bearing. But still even that kind of bearing is not good IMHO and it doesn't mater who's table it is. When the arm doesn't stay fixed on the same plain as the platter we get issues with skipping. If you use that design with a poured slab platform and a 300 lb table it should work fine. But most real world living spaces are going to have some movement with a light table. They would be far better off putting magnetic isolation or levitation under the whole table where it will help.

You could spend that same amount of money on a Minus K isolation table with a superior result.

Back
Top Bottom