We’ve seen the floating platter TT , but here’s a hands on review , well sorta

It is and most likely has a shaft in the magnet bearing. But still even that kind of bearing is not good IMHO and it doesn't mater who's table it is. When the arm doesn't stay fixed on the same plain as the platter we get issues with skipping. If you use that design with a poured slab platform and a 300 lb table it should work fine. But most real world living spaces are going to have some movement with a light table. They would be far better off putting magnetic isolation or levitation under the whole table where it will help.
It's plain to see that planes matter.

Iirc, Stanton marketed a turntable with a magnetic platter suspension that took some weight off the thrust bearing. Is the Verdier like that? It would allow a stable arm/ platter relationship.
Not sure. The purpose of levitating the bearing is to break the feed back loop between the arm pillar and platter bearing, which is the biggest source of rumble in a modern deck. Remote arm pods achieve something similar but that break is not total. Other tables used air bearings for the same purpose and of course air bearing LT arms.

I'm not suggesting this Mag-Lev deck is worth taking seriously, but the idea behind it has merits.

Not sure. The purpose of levitating the bearing is to break the feed back loop between the arm pillar and platter bearing, which is the biggest source of rumble in a modern deck. Remote arm pods achieve something similar but that break is not total. Other tables used air bearings for the same purpose and of course air bearing LT arms.

I'm not suggesting this Mag-Lev deck is worth taking seriously, but the idea behind it has merits.
Rumble shouldn't occur in the player drive or bearings, deal with it by reducing it there.
Imo, ideally, there should be a solid link from the platter to the arm and pillar, this is actually one of the problems with pneumatic bearing linear arms, partially solved by closer boundary clearances and higher boundary air pressure. The stationary portion of the generator in the pickup should be acoustically "grounded" to the record mass thru the platter and linkage of the base plate, arm pillar and arm for best transient response.

The stationary portion of the generator in the pickup should be acoustically "grounded" to the record mass thru the platter and linkage of the base plate, arm pillar and arm for best transient response.
That's one theory. The other is that the part of the player that doesn't actually play the record shouldn't exist. Impossible, of course. John Bicht tried it with the Versa Dynamics.

3958%2F91F710B6-0C5F-CADD-1119-06F25C2F7F16.jpg_850

Air bearing platter, wand-less air bearing LT, and vacuum hold-down for the record. Haven't heard personally, but reviews are positive enough to suggest that the concept of bearing isolation works.

That's one theory. The other is that the part of the player that doesn't actually play the record shouldn't exist. Impossible, of course. John Bicht tried it with the Versa Dynamics.

Air bearing platter, wand-less air bearing LT, and vacuum hold-down for the record. Haven't heard personally, but reviews are positive enough to suggest that the concept of bearing isolation works.
One of my favorites in theory and practice, it works with close broad pneumatic support. Platter mass can stand in for the coupling link I advocate.
Consistent overall stability is a requirement, and John achieves that very well here.

This is beautiful!

https://www.stereophile.com/turntables/785/index.html

When I first looked into these tables, I suspected wobble would be a problem.

As I recall, in order to levitate, the platter it has to be diamagnetic...in other words repulsed by the magnetism created by rare earth magnets in the base.
The way you get it spin is by destabilizing the magnetic force via the use of light.
That's what the "light ring" in the base does.
Hard to tell in the video, but the lights are switched off/on in a rotating pattern.
The problem being that by destabilizing the magnetic force, you are essentially allowing one side of the platter to dip slightly.
And in order to keep the platter spinning you have to keep doing this in a rotating pattern otherwise rotation will stop.

The other thought that gives me pause is that since rotation relies on light....how does changing ambient light affect speed?

The JVC I own has magnetic levitation for the platter to eliminate by their claims, any load and noise that originates from the platter bearing, which is a source of rumble on lesser tables. The QL-Y66F has the best specs of any of my tables, and has an oversize platter as well. Unlike the table posted here by the OP you can't see the platter actually levitate, so it must be just a thousandth of an inch just enough to create an air gap between the bearing and the platter shaft.

When I first looked into these tables, I suspected wobble would be a problem.

As I recall, in order to levitate, the platter it has to be diamagnetic...in other words repulsed by the magnetism created by rare earth magnets in the base.
The way you get it spin is by destabilizing the magnetic force via the use of light.
That's what the "light ring" in the base does.
Hard to tell in the video, but the lights are switched off/on in a rotating pattern.
The problem being that by destabilizing the magnetic force, you are essentially allowing one side of the platter to dip slightly.
And in order to keep the platter spinning you have to keep doing this in a rotating pattern otherwise rotation will stop.

The other thought that gives me pause is that since rotation relies on light....how does changing ambient light affect speed?

You sure about that?

I thought they might have used opposing magnetic poles to keep the upper platter opposing an internal platter inside the plinth. Then they simply have to have a belt or DD, drive the inner platter at the correct speed. The upper platter even though it is opposed by the magnetic field will have enough attraction to spin and eventually spin at the same speed as the internal disc.

Magnetic repulsion can take most of the stress off the thrust bearing, but full-floating the platter on a magnetic field seems unstable compared to resting it lightly on a thrust pivot, or a pressurized self-regulating pneumatic film boundary bearing system.

Last edited:
I wonder if the level could be controlled using multiple lasers and magnets underneath (3 each maybe) to measure distance and constantly adjust force on the single platter magnet. Take a lot of thought to figure that one out.

Back
Top Bottom