Wednesday Tunes

I go to my mailbox and yet another "Best of 2003" compilaton disc is waiting on me from a Mid-western friend. This makes about the 7th or 8th 2003 Compilation I've rec'd since Christmas!! (which is fine by me - I love new music). The lineup on this looks pretty interesting:

Pat Metheny
Seal
Paul Van Dyk
Iris
The Stills
ThePostal Service
Lamb
Sarah Brightman
Mellowdrone
Mosquitos
The Raveonettes
The Sounds
Sister Saviour
The Gathering
T. Raumschmiere
Richard X
The Dandy Warhols
Blue Man Group featuring Tracy Bohnam
Massive Attack featuring Sinead O'Connor
The Chemical Brothers featuring the Flaming Lips

I'll give it a go, and let you know my favs.

JDaniel

I just got done playing John Prine's Diamonds In The Rough.I bought it when it first came out in 1972 when I was 18. The lyrics really bring back a lot of memories of the time and where my head was (and still) at, especially at the meaning of The Great Compromise.

Carl

Josee Deschenes Group - again. :D
Sam Cooke, Ain't That A Shame, new Abkco SACD hybrid remaster.
Chiller Cabinet

Just streaming a bit of winamp radio. I found a set of Cambridge soundworks surround speakers and am giving them a try. I have a bit of lounge music going now...... ya dig :cool:

Starting out with Nanci Griffith One Fair Summer Evening. I've got 3 or 4 N.G. albums, and like each one. Her singing voice is unique, and I enjoy it. But when she talks in between songs on this live album, her voice makes me shiver in pain. It's like fingers on a chalkboard. It could peel paint off the wall. Maybe I should stick with the studio albums?

JD

Giving the John Hiatt Experience - disk one a spin :D Just great stuff. I think the next disk I get from him may be the Hiatt Comes alive at Budokan. I like the cuts from that album.

A big thanks to Dave918 for the comps !!!!

More later

J

It is Roy Buchanan's When a guitar gets the blues.
Darn shame about Roy, he could make that guitar sing.

Finishing up the afternoon with some Pink Floyd. It's a pretty cool 2-cd set that has all of DSOTM, but with some other PF tunes intertwined, with interesting segues and fades.

Makes me wish I was back in college really "enjoying":huge: :drunk: mellowing out to some Floyd.

JD

Originally posted by JDaniel
Starting out with Nanci Griffith One Fair Summer Evening. I've got 3 or 4 N.G. albums, and like each one. Her singing voice is unique, and I enjoy it. But when she talks in between songs on this live album, her voice makes me shiver in pain. It's like fingers on a chalkboard. It could peel paint off the wall. Maybe I should stick with the studio albums?

JD

JD,I am with u on this one.Her voice on this cd makes the dog howl.I love the woman's phrasing though.Do you have *otherVoices,Other Room*?

Alan

Can you believe I have no Nanci Griffith except for a couple tracks on multi-artist disks! :eek:

I've gotta get busy!!!

-Dave

Originally posted by opt80
JD,I am with u on this one.Her voice on this cd makes the dog howl.I love the woman's phrasing though.Do you have *otherVoices,Other Room*?

Alan

Alan,

I just stepped over to the cd rack, and here's what I found:
One Fair Summer Evening;
Late Night Grand Hotel;
Flyer; and
The MCA Years - A Retrospective.

So no, I don't have Other Voices Other Rooms.
One problem though with the MCA disc - I have the case, inserts etc., but no disc.:dunno: In the midst of 600 - 700 discs, that probably means I'll never see it again.

How is Other Voices Other Rooms? Do you have any of the ones I mentioned (other than One Fair Summer Evening obviously, since you commented on it already)?

Jeff

JD, Pm your addy and I'll send you a copy of Other Voices...The album is a group of cover songs.

Alan

Trying to relax after a day at work that truly sucked by listening to some old easy favorites. Anne Murray "The Best....So Far".

-Dave

Originally posted by Dave918
Anne Murray "The Best....So Far".

-Dave

Anne Murray?...............Anne Murray? You are kidding aren't you?

Anne Murray? Hmmm.

Quick, hurry, we've got to help Dave. Some alien has obviously taken over his normally hip musical mind. Earth to Dave. Has anybody seen Dave?

JD

Nope, not kidding. Haven't you ever longed for a time long ago - before you had to grow up and be responsible? I keep a few disks around that bring back memories of those days and this one of them. Laying on my bed without a care in the world, Dad & Mom playing Anne's 60's and early 70's material on the old console stereo in the living room.

After today - I needed a memory like that.

I'll be back to normal again tomorrow :D

-Dave

Edit: realized what I originaly said may not have made much sense, or maybe it did - I don't know, changed it up a bit anyway.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Dave918
Nope, not kidding. Haven't you ever longed for a time long ago - before you had to grow up and be responsible? I keep a few disks around that bring back memories of those days and this one of them. Laying on my bed without a care in the world, Dad & Mom playing Anne's 60's and early 70's material on the old console stereo in the living room.

After today - I needed a memory like that.

I'll be back to normal again tomorrow :D

-Dave

Edit: realized what I originaly said may not have made much sense, or maybe it did - I don't know, changed it up a bit anyway.

This sounds like a thread in itself- Public Admission of Guilty Pleasures- I'll go start it and, Lordy, I'll catch grief for what I'll admit to...............

:p:

Back
Top Bottom