Weigh in on my set up before I set it up

AKKW

Hi all! I've been out of the audio world for about 15 years and I only knew pros, wasn't one myself, so I don't trust myself not to screw this up and I really don't want to damage any of my equipment. Any advice would be beyond appreciated, even if it's "hire someone."

I inherited my grandfather's Pioneer SX-450 receiver and Pioneer PLS-50 turntable. I'm hoping to hook up my pair of Energy Connoisseur CB-10. I just want to make sure the speakers are compatible with the receiver. Both are 8 ohm (though the receiver has a 4 ohm option). Other than that, I don't know what to look out for.

Thank you!

I don't know how "basic" of an explanation you want, but the absolute basics would be TT output leads into the phono input of the receiver (red/white=right/left+ground wire to the grounding lug on the receiver), and speaker wires from receiver to each speaker (red/black to red/black=+/- to +/-) from the Speaker A L/R terminals on the back of the receiver. Verify that the source selector is on phono, speaker selector is on A, and that the tape monitor is off.

Should be good to go from there. I assume your grandfather had the system up and running, but you can do searches regarding TT set-up and cartridge alignment, and how to check for stylus wear and/or damage if things don't sound right.

If it has been stored for a long time and not serviced recently, there may be other "issues" that need to be addressed, but you can ask questions about them as they arise. The TT may need a new belt and/or lubrication of the automatic mechanism, and the receiver may need to have the controls cleaned with DeOxit.

Regarding the speakers, those Energy Connoisseur CB-10s are rated 8Ω, but show a minimum 4Ω in operation. It would be best to only use one pair of these due to their lower operating impedance.

Those speakers are fairly efficient at 92dB / watt, and should sound acceptable. The smallish 5½" woofers are probably going to lack a little air movement, so the bass may seem a little thin. That should be just fine at moderate listening levels, but an 8" or 10" driver is going to make a better sound overall. That's O.K., since you have been out of the realm for a few years, you may quickly be afflicted by 'the disease" driving you toward the "more is better" argument, and may find yourself searching for more and different equipment soon. It gets us all.

When it was given to me a couple years ago it was imaculate. It gathered a little dust, but not bad. I cleaned the outside, should I open it up and use canned air?
I wouldn't worry about it, just keep in mind that it probably should be serviced at some point.
But do know as others have said, it's a very low wattage unrestored receiver and small speakers so don't try to get too much out of it. However it should be a good sounding setup, enjoy!

Thank you all! I got it set up and yeah, it's okay. Definitely need a new needle at least. Taking the record player in tomorrow to get checked out. Will take the receiver in for service next. I'm hoping it'll satisfy me until we move to a neighborhood with fewer break-ins.

Last question, anyone have tips on a site or book that I can use to refresh my audio knowledge? I used to just hang out in audio shops my friends or boyfriend worked in. Oh yeah, and I sold car audio for a while, forgot about that. Haha Now that I'm married (not to an audiophile, but he's interested) and have a baby it's impossible to just spend hours talking to sales guys and installers.

...you may quickly be afflicted by 'the disease" driving you toward the "more is better" argument, and may find yourself searching for more and different equipment soon. It gets us all.

As soon as I turned it on I knew you were right about that. I'm not even allowing myself to go to the store tomorrow for a new needle/cartridge because I checked their site and I'm sure I'd be walking out with an amp.

I don't know how "basic" of an explanation you want, but the absolute basics would be TT output leads into the phono input of the receiver (red/white=right/left+ground wire to the grounding lug on the receiver), and speaker wires from receiver to each speaker (red/black to red/black=+/- to +/-) from the Speaker A L/R terminals on the back of the receiver. Verify that the source selector is on phono, speaker selector is on A, and that the tape monitor is off.

Should be good to go from there. I assume your grandfather had the system up and running, but you can do searches regarding TT set-up and cartridge alignment, and how to check for stylus wear and/or damage if things don't sound right.

If it has been stored for a long time and not serviced recently, there may be other "issues" that need to be addressed, but you can ask questions about them as they arise. The TT may need a new belt and/or lubrication of the automatic mechanism, and the receiver may need to have the controls cleaned with DeOxit.

Thank you. I'm sure I could have stumbled through that on my own, but it was really nice to just follow your instructions and not have to study all the dials. I also appreciate knowing what to expect for maintenance which I'm sure it needs.

Thank you. I'm sure I could have stumbled through that on my own, but it was really nice to just follow your instructions and not have to study all the dials. I also appreciate knowing what to expect for maintenance which I'm sure it needs.

No problem--and thank you for not being offended by my answer to your question. I had no idea what your knowledge base was, so I started at "square one", so to speak.

Sounds like you have a local shop to deal with, so they can point you on your way (or their way, so be careful), but do some searching here on the AT 3600 and AT 95 carts for your TT, and here is a link for control cleaning if you are up for some DIY http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...diots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

Enjoy!!!

And I forgot to mention--WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Back
Top Bottom