Welcome to Barter Town Preview!

Discussion in 'Barter Town preview' started by Tinkerbelle, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Everything in Moderation Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

This is AudioKarma; it has nothing to do with the Polk site and vice versa. Regular membership in AK is free. Please do not lightly brush aside the generosity of the owners and take for granted what is free. Running a site is a huge expense of money and time. There is a wealth of information, assistance and sharing available here. If someone allows you to have dinner in their house every day but asks you to pay if you want to stay overnight, that is their choice.

As for the $25 fee to be a subscriber; unless you have previously subscribed, on what basis can you judge on the value or compare to what is offered elsewhere?

A final comment: please also do not overlook the fact that many AKers value the site and services and choose to subscribe and contribute to making this a popular choice, irrespective of whether they use BarterTown or not. There is value in knowing that the members who do contribute are folks who are willing to support and share; that they are not just a casual surfer looking to offload something and then disappear.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    ETLS, kirkendoll and 4-2-7 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tinkerbelle

Many links were broken and files lost when we moved to the new format, so I will post some info here. The attached .pdf is from a single page of one of the sub-categories in BT. The image posted is part of the top level view of BT.

When you open the .pdf you should be able to increase the size ti better view the details.

upload_2016-8-4_20-17-49.png

Attached Files:

3. bashman

bashman AK Subscriber Subscriber

As a subscriber, I use Barter Town to find new homes for things I don't need -- mainly LPs and some accessories, and buy the occasional item. I see it as a hobby more than a business and figure I'm just a notch above breaking even after all the costs are figured in. But fellow subscribers seem happy when they find LPs they want on the lists I post. Also had some stuff to give away and found a fellow AKer nearby who was ready to adopt. Add in the entertainment value of the entire site and the $25 subscriber fee is money well spent.

ETLS and John James like this.
  4. Tinkerbelle

Check out the .pdf attachment in Post #22 (2 posts above)

5. klhdude

klhdude Active Member

ok,where do you get on,an pay the 25 bucks an then get to see things for sale etc..ok,come on...simplify.........lead me on........and others who are new to this attempt...........

6. Tinkerbelle

Use the red "Subscribe" button at the top right of the Audiokarma home page -
    or check the link in the first post of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018

7. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

BT is live and well with constant activity for subscribers. And yes this is a 7 year old thread that got messed up when there was format changes in 2015.

8. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

9. sonofagun231

sonofagun231 Member

Well, I'd still like to see a/some preview(s) OR would/could someone please reply to my question: Is BT a good (or effective) place to sell vinyl?

10. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

There is no blanket Yes/No answer - it depends on what you have, how well you describe it, and what folks are looking for when it hits all the market.
    Frankly, big stacks of esoteric Classical music are hard to sell in ANY market - often worth more to the Seller than to the random buyer.
    Thats not my opinion, other folks have posted that here on a number of occasions.

But, its worth a try -

Here is an image showing the BT Topics available here - Its not clickable - just an image of what's offered here
    The "Bartertown - Media" forum is where most folks sell vinyl, CDs, etc ...

BT-Preview_2016-8-4_20-17-49.png

11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

I sell 1000s of records there and have many repeat buyers.

They do have rules

New BT Rules Effective Immediately

1.The sale of fire arms, or any other substances that are regulated, is strictly prohibited. If it's illegal to sell it in your state, it's illegal to sell it here. This includes parts of firearms.

2. As a subscriber you may not bypass AK's vendor rules. Vendors will keep their listings in the vendors forum.

3. AudioKarma allows auctions for its benefit and for charities it sponsors. No other auctions are permitted, including links to auction sites.

4. The sale of items for others ( Friends, Family or anyone not owning the item in question ) is not allowed.

5. All "For Sale" items must have a price stated. "Or Best Offer" option is also acceptable with a stated price as a starting point. An example of whats not permitted. A $500 item with a $100000 “OBO” Please be reasonable.

6. Stay on topic. "Bumping" a thread, or posting encouraging words, is allowed, within reason. However, please refrain from criticism of the seller, the asking price, or the product being offered. While some friendly product discussion that is helpful to the potential buyer is allowed, please refrain from engaging in over-active discussion, as that can become unfair bumping for other members. Bumping by the OP should be within reason, limited to at least 48 hours between "bumps". Note that the 48 hours starts from the last activity in your thread, not the last time you actually used the word "bump".

7. Barter Town is for buying, selling, trading and wanted-to-buy threads only. It is not for feedback of buyers/sellers, value questions or "feeler" threads. AK has established forums for feedback and value questions, and ''feeler" threads don't belong anywhere on AK.

8. No linking or advertising of your Barter Town items for sale in any other part of the forum.

9. AK is not involved in your deal, any more than a newspaper is in a classified ad. AK makes no warranties of any kind, and payment of any taxes that might be owed to any government is the responsibility of buyer and seller, and never of AK.

10. Only 3 posts per sub-forum may be started per day, by any one seller.No exceptions. If you currently have more than 4 ads in any one sub-forum, we ask that you condense them within a reasonable time frame.

11. When offering PayPal as a form of payment, AK does not condone the use of the "Friends & Family" option to avoid paying PayPal its rightful service charge. Remember that buyer protection is NOT provided by PayPal when using the "Friends & Family" payment service.

12. Tinkerbelle

Did you see the .pdf attachment in Post #22 above?