Welcome to the British Audio Forum!

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Welcome to AK's newest forum, British Audio. As fans of the British School of audio know, their approach to audio has always been quite different from the North American or even Japanese ways. Usually British systems are smaller, or at least more compact. For a long time, the British audio scene was very much source oriented, with turntables like the famous Linn products dominating, while integrated amps were more popular than receivers. Speakers were again smaller and usually stand mounted. The world famous BBC LS3/5A monitor design paved the way.

There are more companies building audio in Britain than I can name off the top of my head, but some of the more famous include the aforementioned Linn, Rega and Ariston; speaker manufacturers like Spendor, Harbeth, Tannoy and Quad, while electronics were produced by illustrious names such as NAD, Naim, Arcam or Cambridge.

This forum is meant for those who enjoy and appreciate building a system in the British way. No, it doesn't mean every product must be British. All that is required is an enjoyment of the British way.

I forgot you were one of us Oddfellows, Ken.

Yep. Doesn't get more British than that.

odd-fellows-motto.jpg

I've owned Tannoy, KEF, Wharfedale and Elac. Last were my Tannoy DC1000 and even my current AR-6s are assembled in England (IIRC). Not to mention the britt-jap amp I enjoy everyday, the legendary screamer Pioneer A-400.

Oldest pair of britt speakers I had were the KEF K2 Celeste with the elliptical B139 (mk1) woofer and T15 tweeter. Worst pair were the Wharfedale MACH5's, disappointing the least. Biggest smile on my face? Wharfedale Diamond IIs. They were cute.

Favorite britts above all in my life - Tannoys, period.

Great topic. :)

The old Linn forum is sure going to get bigger in a hurry now. Great idea, now you just have to worry about breaking up the Linn vs Rega fights. :)

TANNOYs ... don't have... wish i did. Studio I frequented while in the production business used them ... so sweet.

Back
Top Bottom