Welcome to the British Audio Forum!

I can throw into the mix (all lying dormant) a 33, 405-2, Tannoy Berkeley, Mission 765, KEF 103.4 (yes, still boxed), three SME arms (2 x 3012) and an old Rega Planet t/t - still works. There should be an LP12 with Ittok and an Ekos somewhere. The rest is from all over the world, though mainly Japanese.

Youve got 2 3012's..unused.....heh,you must be using something pretty special,id give my left nut for one of them!!!

Youve got 2 3012's..unused.....heh,you must be using something pretty special,id give my left nut for one of them!!!

No, they have been used but one is boxed. Been in my possession since late 70's. They are just not being used at present. I had planned to build a slate, aluminium and medite plinth for a spare SP10II I have when time permits - which at present seems like never!

No, they have been used but one is boxed. Been in my possession since late 70's. They are just not being used at present. I had planned to build a slate, aluminium and medite plinth for a spare SP10II I have when time permits - which at present seems like never!

My mistake,i meant currently unused...Good to see someone else has projects that never seem to get started,or finished even!

Very glad to see this forum. I've had a wonderful time with British kit over the years. Certainly one high point was Spendor SP-1s. Utterly natural and effortless. I also had the pleasure of owning for several years an Exposure CD-phonopre-pre-power system, that gear really rocked.

My downstairs system has the remarkable Sugden Bijou components that I assumed would really take off and become a big hit, but it turned out to be too expensive for them to produce these -- all machined and assembled by hand -- so they only made them for a short time at the Sugden works in West Yorkshire. They have stunning industrial design and are very compact, and also very good at playing music. I have the CD player and preamp that you can see in the system picture, but instead of the Ampmaster power amp pictured there on the bottom of the stack, I have the Musicmaster (second picture) that only puts out something like 15 watts but it runs in Class A. Actually the other components are Class A also. I love the easy flow of music through these pieces, and it's a pleasure to interact with the CD player's controls. Other sources are a Kyocera PL-701 turntable with a Roksan Corus Black and a TEAC 360S cassette player. Transparent interconnects, Reynaud Trenté speakers and Reynaud speaker cables. This system plays for hours every day and is every bit as satisfying as a pint of Hook Norton Best.

One amusing thing is that Jean-Marie Reynaud once said (I'm paraphrasing here) "I never want anyone to listen to my speakers while they are preparing food." . . . I do it every day!

Anyone else using Sugden electronics? A lovely company, not very visible compared to Linn, Naim, Rega, B&W, etc.

Oh and I should add, as I am typing this, I'm listening to June Tabor's FABULOUS album "Ashore" that came out a couple of years ago. In my view by far the best she's made, and I own most of them.

Over and Out.

Bruce

Last edited:
I have some British, Celestion Ditton 44, Goodmans Triaxiom 1220C, Goodmans Audiom 60 & Redback full range alnico speakers, Cambrige 640a, Elac 160, Leak pre amp Varislope II stereo & mono.:banana:

Hi,

I took some stuff from my father in law when he passed away some months ago, as everyone else thought it was junk and were going to bin it.

A small HMV Monaco portable player in pretty good condition.

Also a Ferrograph 4A open reel unit that's in its case and the unit is pristine and has the original manual that looks like its never been opened or read. I'll power it up one day to see if its still working and then decide if I'll keep it or off load it, as I have a Teac X1000R for my open reel fetish. Got a bunch of tapes with the Ferrograph, and also a case that opens up to show an external speaker, which I can plug into the Ferrograph.

Got a pair of old Trio valve things and some very early tranny radios, but this is for British stuff so no need to talk about them.

Oh, and an Eddystone Marine Receiver. A big valve unit which I was going to have a crack at powering up to see if it works, but it's got a selenium rectifier and looking at the circuitry I think it could be a death trap to the unwary, and uses some UAF or something type valves which there is no equivalent, so it's destined to remain something to look at rather than use.

river

Is anyone familiar with the Leak 2075 speakers? Does anyone here have any?

Fantastic behemoths that needed a good sized room and one of the few speakers I think that never really got the sort of acclaim they deserved. It was about the time that the Rank Organisation (by name and nature) took them over.

Is anyone familiar with the Leak 2075 speakers? Does anyone here have any?

Fantastic behemoths that needed a good sized room and one of the few speakers I think that never really got the sort of acclaim they deserved. It was about the time that the Rank Organisation (by name and nature) took them over.

Why don't you start a thread on them? I'd love to Learn more

I only sold a couple of pairs new and then I couldn't afford them. They had a swivel head that housed a super tweeter, tweeter and mid unit. They did have some controls on them like NS1000. Altogether they stood about 5 feet tall and about 26-28" wide. We used to drive them with a Cambridge P100 integrated or a couple of Quad 50E power amps. They gave the Tannoy 15" (Lancasters I think) a good run for their money. We used a Fons/SME or an early Thoren TD160/SME as the front end.

As an aside and one of the perks of starting in the Hi-Fi industry, about 1972, my first system (besides a Dual 1019, a Grundig TK340TS, Sansui 1000A and some Phillips speakers that my mother part funded) was a Quad 33, 303, FM3 with a TD124II, SME 3012 all housed in a complimentary wood cabinet (Staples Ladderax) and a pair of B&W DM3 Spkrs all for £200. It was PX'd for I can't remember what. Today, £200 wouldn't even buy the amp alone, I doubt.

I quickly stuck a Decca London cart. in it which brought it all alive. Then had to explain the total cost to my wife of 3 months. (We had just lost our shirts on a selling scheme in Germany and had £6 as our worldly wealth.) Halcyon memories, worrying days.

As an aside and one of the perks of starting in the Hi-Fi industry, about 1972, my first system (besides a Dual 1019, a Grundig TK340TS, Sansui 1000A and some Phillips speakers that my mother part funded) was a Quad 33, 303, FM3 with a TD124II, SME 3012 all housed in a complimentary wood cabinet (Staples Ladderax) and a pair of B&W DM3 Spkrs all for £200. It was PX'd for I can't remember what. Today, £200 wouldn't even buy the amp alone, I doubt.

I quickly stuck a Decca London cart. in it which brought it all alive. Then had to explain the total cost to my wife of 3 months. (We had just lost our shirts on a selling scheme in Germany and had £6 as our worldly wealth.) Halcyon memories, worrying days.

What a deal, though £200 was quite a lot of money back in 72. 303s go for about £100 today, but have you seen what you'd have to pay for a TD124 and SME 3012?!

I recently put together a modestly decent system after many years without. While reeducating myself and shopping, I always seemed to be drawn to the British manufacturers- they just seem so cool. Not a good reason to select audio gear, I know. But I've come to accept in myself that, for me, the intangible "vibe" has merit, just as performance does. I ended up as a bit of a British poser, though, settling on an Arcam A19 and CD17, which I understand are manufactured in China. I ended up with French speakers(Focal 814V) and, since the initial set up, I added a Technics 1100a turntable and a Nikko Gamma 1 tuner, not keeping with the British theme at all. But later, when I found a reasonable price on a used Arcam tuner, I couldn't resist...perhaps that intangible vibe is now being overindulged. Maybe I'm headed in the direction of becoming an Anglo audio fan. If so, I guess I'll eventually need suggestions for replacements for that turntable and speakers. Though I am quite happy at the moment.

british forum

I owned a garrard once way back in the 60's. Does that give me access to the forum?

Paul

Sorry it took me so long to find this! I have Tannoy 12" Monitor Golds and Canterbury SE's! I use a Nottingham Space 294 w/Anna 12" arm. In reserve is my Notts Interspace
w/RB250, as well as a Systemdek IIX. I am not a frequent poster because I type veeeerrrry slowly...

As the other Mordaunt fan(there are only two of us, right?) I'm with you. One question, if one of us starts a Mordaunt thread here, will it be forgotten just as quick as in the speaker forum?:D

In all seriousness, good idea for a forum.:thmbsp:

With a pair of M-S Carnival 2's and a pair of Mezzo 2" I guess I belong in that club too. Oh, a pair of Wharfedale W60's as well. Can I count my FatMan iTube amp also?
I almost forgot my sub (MS308W)
Bloody good show and all that. What! What!:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom