Welcome to the British Audio Forum!

love the british sound heres some of my stuff target t5tt rack,monitor audio m3 gold floor standers,cyrus2 amp,cyrus tuner,Nad 7240pe receiver,Nadc316BEE int. amp,Nad4020 tuner,Nadc402 tuner,Nadc542 cd player,Linn Wakonda preamp,musical fidelity X-PRE,X-LP,X-CANS,X-PSU ,LEAK troughline mono tuner,ArcamAlpha 7 cd player....Linn LK 140 amp...

Last edited:
Hello, currently running an Isotek Mini Sub mains conditioner, Kef Reference 4.2’s, Kef Reference 3.2’s, Kef Reference 200C and a Rega Planar 3 TT. Cheers.

Wharfedale W60D, Kef UniQ10, Linn Espek. and Ruark Epilogue in no particular order....Love them all.

I have a Sonneteer Orton Integrated Amp, my favorite amp. image1-2-1.jpg
Also now using a Rega Brio R integrated amp in the bedroom, with a Rega Apollo cdp, with a pair of original Roger's LS3/5a monitors
(Swisstone 15 ohm). IMG_3439.jpeg
Living room is a pair of Spender A6 floor standing speakers and a pair of Quad 11 Classic monitors, Quad 11L Center, Quad Lite satelite. 12322728_10156116156520478_4123646284309723320_o.jpg
Rec Room has Castle speakers: Castle Severn, Castle Richmond, Castle Center
2 Roksan Caspian tuners
Audiolab 8200CDQ cd player
Work Shop/garage has my old Onix OA21s Integrated amp, and fm tuner.6861019630_7def03a586_z.jpg

might I be in with a bunch of Mission speakers (the white conuses series) 70/700/701 and 704?) and some humble KEF Chorales and Wharfedale Diamond III 's ? And maybe there is a set of Quad 405 and 44 heading my way........but that's not sure yet......

Which Loudspeaker company from England would be or did produce speakers that are similar to the OHM acoustics corporation from Brooklyn New York ?

I keep trying a search for a 'kef 107 owners thread', but it always comes up as no results.
I thot there was one. Does anyone know?
I have a specific 107 question.
Thanks.

Dave

Have you tried calling KEF Tech Support in New Jersey? It may surprise you what they know.

OTOH, if you are a Facebook user, join KEF Enthusiasts Group. There's 3 or 4 owners of Reference 107's among the 600 or so members, and I or you could ask them. Many other members have owned them in the past.

Just recently aquired a Arcam rHead to plug into a NAD C325BEE which has an Ariston RD40/Moth(Rega) 301 attached . No Brit phono stage or headphones as of now.

Last edited:
@ditton works
Hi, thanks for the reply. Y'know, it's been awhile since I posted the question, and I can't quite recall what it was about. It's not that I'm getting old ... but I'm getting old.
I have since had my Kef R107s recapped and referrofluided, so it was probably something to do with that.
Now that they're done tho, and I've been playing them for a few months, they sound fabulous.

Dave

Great thread!. I'm also British, so I guess I fit right in?

The first set of speakers I owned were inherited from my Dad, and they were dual concentric full-range types. Wharfedale Super 10's they were called. We would drive those from a Sansui 350.
For most of my life, I put up with a pair of KEF 104.AB. Huge speakers, and very much hated by wives. Bass that could shake the foundation of the house. I also owned a pair of Heybrook HB1's- although the sound was boring and lifeless.
During the Heybrook, and then later the KEF 104 era, these were driven by a NAD 3020 (which I still have right here, and still going strong), and fed by a Garrard 301 fitted with a Rega RB300 arm (not the best pairing. A Linn would've been better).
Back in the days when one could still pick up a 301 for £25! Which was how much my second Garrard cost me. The first Garrard, also from my Dad, was an SP25 mk4, which was a horrible deck (don't buy!). Other decks didn't rumble as bad as those horrible things. After moving up from the south to the midlands, I then stumbled across another Garrard, a 401, complete with SME arm in a perspex and wood plinth, and Shure cartridge all for a bargain price of £19 (including delivery) from Cash Converters. I absolutely s**t you not. This of course was back in the mid 90's, and since then CC have discovered eBay. :(

Sadly I no longer have any of the Garrards. I wasn't that big a fan of the 401 anyway. It was too clunky, but the 301 was a design classic, however I left that in a Hi-Fi comrade's garage in Firle, Lewes where I hail from originally, to be 'lost' and never to be seen again. :(

But not all is lost. Today I have not one turntable but two (I'm sure many here have far more), but neither of them are British- German and Swiss (can you guess?). But I still have a lovely wife-friendly pair of Tannoys (Mercury F1 customs), as well as the NAD of course.

Now, one set of speakers I do own (but are currently at my father-in-law's house, so due to restrictions I can't use them), are a really rare set of British speakers made by Arc. Arc 050. I'm surprised these haven't come up
in conversation yet. Strange design, although makes perfect sense for signal quality boffins, the crossovers are mounted *outside* rather than inside of the cabinet.

Anyone else have a pair of these old Brit ARC classics? There's relatively little info on the web about them, but I did find this bit of true Brit hifi history. The man behind the ARC 050, Russ Andrews:

https://www.russandrews.com/history/

We only have british speakers; KEF Reference 103/3 with rebuilt Kube; KEF Cresta 10; Monitor Audio R352, JPW Minim, JPW Sonata MK2 and finally, Ruark Talisman 1.

@tom_tm
Hey Tom, that was a fun read. Funny ol' hobby this, eh?
I read a lot of posts, threads, and reviews, and somewhere along the way I remember reading about a pair of speakers with the Xovers on the outside. So it must have been the ARC 050s. ARC made some excellent speakers. I have an acquaintance that raves about a few of them.

And I had a Thorens TD160, and I had an SME type 2 for a while, but sold it on. Many of us Brit gear enthusiasts have had the same gear at one time or another.
I still have my NAD 7100 receiver which is really good, but I've gone the Naim route now, and I have a few Naim units that drive my good ol' Kef R107s, which have been completely refurbished.

I'll ask my buddy about the 050s. He has owned and rebuilt around 120 sets of speakers over the years, and 6 or 7 of them were ARCs. So, I'll post what he says.
Cheers.

Dave

Hmm.... I believe I have found my place.

I've always favored small-ish systems with a warmer, mid-range-y sound and clear and defined (but subdued) bass and treble.

Well, "Quad" gear (pre33/amp405)is fully functional at this time.

Wharfedales, both 3 ways, are steaming under full amplitide.

Overall system's in jolly good order...good to go!:thumbsup:

Mind you, there's there's that rather minor gremlin in the Japanese Sony 600 TT...but of no grave matter.

Carry on.:beerchug:

Q

Back
Top Bottom