Welcome to the Solid State Forum!

Hello Everyone

Well this is my very first post and I am excited to meet people that share my love of music and the equipment we use to play it. I have just got started collecting vintage equipment. It started by me at age 50 just wanting to put together the system I always wanted as a teenager and it has just grown from there. Currently my system is Marantz 125 tuner, Marantz 6300 turntable,Marantz 5030 cassette deck, Pioneer 707 Reel to Reel, with a Marantz 3300 Pre-Amp and a Phase Linear 400 Series 1 Amp hooked up to Pioneer HPM 100's. Needless to say I spend alot of time enjoying spinning my vinyl. Now I also have The Fisher 500TX, Sony reel to reel, 2 technics turntables, Akaii 8 track, AR A3's, Pioneer CS 770A's, Sansui model 2000 reciever and matching speakers, Dual 1015 turntable, and adding more it seems like all the time. Very much fun hearing all the different tones and sounds that all this equipment delivers, all different all great. My favorite is Marantz though.

New member to the forum

Hello. I guess I have already broken the guidelines by asking my first technical question and not first introducing myself to the forum folks. My apologies to the group. I'm 51 and recently rediscovered my interest and desire to own a fine stereo system. I bought a Marantz 2230, cleaned it up and just love it....but what I really wanted was a 2245 or 2270. Well, at risking divorce papers being served (haha) I purchased a 2245 that will need some minor cleanup. Now my next desire are a pair a Dynaco A25s. These are components I remember back in the 70s as a kid growing up in eastern Nebraska. Anyway, I looking forward to reading and communicating with forum members in the future. Thanks.

Hello all Im Andrew from New Zealand and I am 41 years old.
I have just got into vinyl, as a 70s child i never had them. My father was right into audio building Amps and mixers and other odds and ends.

Hi. Just a short note to introduce myself.

I live in the UK, and love my older kit. Older being a relative term though, as I'm a fully paid up Digital Junkie (No Vinyl or Tapes here, though I have nothing against them, they are just not my thing).

I run a Marantz CD-4000, feeding either a Rotel RA-971 (that needs a little TLC, fuses keep blowing), or a Technics SUV-500M2 (Pinch hitting for the Rotel at the moment). Transducer wise, a pair of Wharfedale Zaldek 1000 floor-standers make noise, as I have put the Mission 754f's into another room out of the way of 3yr old fingers, which are irresistibly drawn to driver cones. The Wharfedales are nasty, but decent enough to do until my daughter is past the cone-poking stage.

All of these are cheap items, I don't think anything cost more than £20.

In the Future, I would love something that is essentially the Rotel with a DAC built in so I can feed the Optical signal from my Soundcard into it.

Another newbie here.

I'm located in Boston and I first fell in love with vintage audio via my father's Sherwood S5000 and I appreciate the elegance of analog equipment.

I purchased a used Sony TA-2000F for $25 at a clearance sale back in 1989 on a whim and have really enjoyed it. I then purchased the matching TA-3200F a couple of years later but returned it due to a lack of treble clarity. (I wonder if it needed some new caps?) I used, if I remember correctly, a Questar Electronics Class A power amp until it died. I recently purchased another TA-3200F and it seems to work great, but I want to learn more about how to maintain and improve it.

Yet another newbie. I've been lurking for a little while now and I came across a Yamaha CR-400 that I'm now looking to repair. So I'm looking for some guidance.

Glad to be here!

I just got back into vintage home audio and have had some luck locally finding some good gear. In a week or so I'm up to 3 amps, one turn table a cassette deck and a TT. I'm now shopping more speakers to outfit the amps I've gotten. One I bought, the other two I got for next to nothing. In any case, had I not had this site as a resource I wouldn't even have known what to look for. Thanks to everyone!

Now I'm boogieing to ZZ top on vinyl and loving it.:banana:

Yikes! I'm guilty too.

A hello with smiles to all. I'm Jeff, I'm guilty of requesting idle-current info in my very first post this afternoon.
So who am I? Been asking myself that question for years now, 66 to be exact.

I've been an audio fan since I was 5 years old and sat at my dad's side, absolutely entranced watching him build his Williamson rig in 1950. My first construction project, at age 12 (?) was a Heath EA-2 12-watter that drove an Electrovoice 12" Wolverine. Since then I've constructed (for real) a whole lot of gear that is now vintage, and I'm still constructing, most recently a microphone preamp based upon the Deane Jensen / John Hardy 990 discrete op-amp.

In 1969 I joined McIntosh Labs. Shared a hotel room with Mr. Mac one night and had an "interesting" conversation. In 1974 I followed my first love, professional recording, and began running Ohio State University's studios.
In 1982 I moved to Massachusetts, and began my own on-location recording business which is still functioning, and from which I'm trying to retire. We do mostly serious music, and try to stay in country, but that doesn't always work.

I have a real passion for animals, especially iguanas, of which my wife and I have five. They're more fun than a barrel full of politicians.

I've been a car-nut since I was 14, and answer a lot of tech questions on another forum. Owned 93 cars so far, and 34 motorcycles, not all at one time. Now that's a car nut!

I've also had a huge variety of audio gear, including pro tape machines, over the years. In my basement under a sheet resides the first Ampex 350-2 stereo machine on which I learned to razor-blade edit, back in the mid-60's. I've restored it to mint.

Guess that's most of the pertinent stuff. I love to help folks out, and have a fair bit of knowledge under my belt (or in some undisclosed location in my body). I enjoy modern and vintage solid-state and tube stuff.

Best -
Jeff (aka Nelson, which is the name of my alpha-male iguana)

Hello to all. I am a relatively new member. I use a mixture of vintage and veteran SS equipment, a few tube pieces, a Dual 1019, a Thorens TT, and some not too old CD players. I used to build kits and make minor repairs when in my teens and now in retirement, hope to do some repairs and rebuilding.

Right now, my highest priority is to get a Sony STR6120 back to operating with both channels.

My first Hifi

Hi, I'm new to this site and here's my confession:

I've never quite had the money for a decent sound system, marriage, kids, mortgage etc. And I still don't. But thanks thanks to mp3 players, and the digital age, people seem to be selling off some fairly expensive gear rather cheaply. So for $100 I have found myself a Marantz PM42 amp and a CD52 player, both in great nick. The CD tray seems a bit sticky, loading and ejecting, but other than that both units appear to have had very liottle use. Another $50 has found me a fairly new set of Gale MkII Gold speakers complete with quality cables. I set it up last night and listened to Nick Drake's Pink Moon album (remastered). It sounded amazing, compared to what I'd been used to. So for less than half the price of a new ipod classic, a brand new hifi system! I'm rapt.

I also have the opportunity to pick up a Marantz 1250 for $30 which I believe is a good buy for a tidy unit. There is a lengthy drive involved - is it worth a day trip?

vintage zenith Y960 on its way but am/fm switch popping sound

Hi! I haven't been here since I was researching my daughter's mid-century modern Zenith Y960 console phonograph last Feb! But also been searching for a 960 to call my own ever since I heard it! OMG. And that cabinet with the 4 moving louvers on each end is to die for!!! (was sadder to see that Y960 leave our house than our daughter and her 2 adorable cats!)

I just bought a very ugly cabinet-style Y960 via CL in WI. Only saw photo but seller said all working (I asked tons of questions as I know this model in and out..sort of. also know common problems so asked and all good). Moving company bringing it to me in CT next week.

At this point, I'm just happy to find a Y960 with the neat "designer studio" tuner w/push buttons & dials, and the Micro-Touch 2-G tone arm changer with folding 45 clamshell adaptor!

I will keep searching for a mid-century modern style 960 or 966, and if/when I find one, I'll have total replacement parts from the ugly one I'm buying!

The seller did say there was a slight "popping" sound when he switched the am/fm knob. Can anyone tell me how serious this might be?

The Zenith Y960 is a 1968 solid state model if that helps. I also won't know until it gets here whether his idea of a "popping" sound could be "crackling" which might just mean a good cleaning of the knob/switch is needed.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Fingers crossed this ugly baby makes the journey unscathed...

And if anyone knows of a mid-century modern Zenith cabinet for sale, I please let me now. If it's gutted, I have the parts so would buy it, guts or not! tks! -Lynn in CT

Another new member from Minnesota

Hi All,

I have been a member of AK for a few years now, but have just been a lurker and never got around to posting. I am 49 years old, and have just started getting into vintage electronics, although I have been into vintage speakers for a number of years.

My current fascination with vintage audio started last summer when I picked up a pair of Dynaco A25 speakers at a local thrift store for $20. The veneer and grill cloths were in pretty rough shape, but they sound amazing. These were the same speakers I grew up listening to in New Mexico. Acquiring the Dynaco's has put me on a quest to recreate the audio system of my youth, and to delve into other vintage audio.

The system I listened to as a teenager consisted of the aforementioned Dynaco A25 speakers (they belonged to my parents) a Kenwood KR-4070 receiver that I purchased new in 1978, and a Denon DP1200 turntable that I purchased slightly used in about 1980 or so. Right now I am 2/3rds of the way back to my old system. I have the Dynaco A25s, (they need refinishing) and the Denon DP1200 turntable (I picked one up on eBay about 10 years ago). Now all I need is a good used Kenwood KR4070 and my old/new system will be complete.

Back in the late '70's - early 80's I fell in love with the Polk Monitor 10's, but couldn't afford them back in the day. However, about 10 years ago I did pick up a nice pair of Monitor 10B's off eBay. They are now serving as the main speakers in my home theater system.

A few years back my wife picked up a working Kenwood KR-720 at a garage sale for $1. I paired it up with a set of Polk Monitor 7C's I picked up from Goodwill for $35 a couple of years ago, and that, along with a Sony PS1 as a CD player signal source have served as my hobby room sound system for the past few years.

During the past few weeks I have picked us a couple of older Sony A/V receivers and CD players off Craigslist and Goodwill for cheap ($10 and $20 for the receivers, and $5 and $10 for the CD players). Now I have enough power and signal sources for all the speakers and systems I have set up around the house. I also picked up a pair of Polk Monitor 5jr's at a local thrift store a few weeks back. I paid a little more for them than I wanted though. I ended up giving $90, which I think may be a little on the high side, but not too much. Some of the Thrifts are getting pretty smart these days!

Last evening I picked up my first vintage receiver in need of work, a Scott R357. It works, is all there, and is reasonably attractive and powerful for its vintage, but the case is a little rough. I didn't give a lot for it ($30), and I figure it will be a good opportunity for me to learn how to recondition an old receiver before digging into a more desirable unit.

Good Listening All!

Jay

Last edited:
Found myself nudged back into paying attention to decent gear when our JVC RX-701 receiver got flakey enough to need replacing. This is one of the places I looked for opinions that would lead to a likely successor (and settled on a Harmon Kardon 3490). I don't think I'd call myself and audiophile, if only because my hearing isn't what it was when I started to take listening to music seriously forty-some years ago, but I've accumulated a bunch of equipment over the decades, some of it now obsolete or relegated to use with the formats that accumulated along with it (casettes, reels, DATs, Minidiscs, and of course LPs). The Klipsch Cornwalls, however, seem to survive no matter what signal source they're hooked up to.

I'm sure I'll be asking advice about rehabbing or repairing some of this stuff--though I suspect that belts and idlers and such for tape decks are hard to come by and that some of the units sitting in the basement are not worth what it would cost to get them up to spec. There are a few items, though, that I have a soft spot for--a Marantz 4400 and a Sony CDP-101, and my old Dual turntable ( 1219?) that accepts the Shure cartridge for 78s. (I plugged in the Marantz and after a couple minutes smoke started coming out of the cooling slots. That can't be good.)

Hello all a newbie here.

Happy day all you fine people.I have become tired of the insular feel of ipod music.In cleaning out the closet of my daughters room I rediscovered what I called "life support" .Pioneer sx-1980 with phase linear adromedia III sub and panel speakers.I actually cried when I hooked it up and it worked.I have lurked on this site trying to learn as much as I can about Bob Carver and the history of the 1970s receiver wars.Thanks all of you .You have taught me a lot.Sincerely Linda

i have a mcintosh 4100 looking for a good cd/sacd player. any ideas?

:yes:
I have recently returned to my audio hobby after leaving my prior pasttime due to expense and boredom.

I built a Dynakit Stereo 70 back in 1969, I think, to use with the PAS-3 and FM-3 hooked to the Electro-Voice 12TRXBs in the EV Aristocrat enclosures. I believe I was using an Empire table and arm with a Pickering cartridge?

I still have my Marantz 2245 and AR-2ax speakers from 1973. I went Adcom in the 80s (still in use in the surround system). Multiple record players and CD players over the years, finally arriving at the Rega P3 I've had for about 15 years. Now with one Sony ES SACD player and a "regular" Sony SACD player in the home office.

I had Maggies for a while, but changed to Mirage M5si(s)because I missed bass, but didn't want to give up bi-direction.

I added a Marantz 2270 a couple of years back because that's what I had really wanted when I bought the 2245. It's now the home office receiver with the AR-2axs.

Most recently, I went off the deep end and bought a McIntosh 2100 power amp, followed by a McIntosh C24 preamp, folowed by another McIntosh 2100. The 2100s are bridged and power the Mirages most of the time. (The Mirages also work in the surround system when I change connections) I had always wanted McIntosh equipment but the new stuff has always been out of reach, if I wanted to stay married--same lady for 37 years.

I gotta say the McIntosh equipment has been revelatory. Unlike anything I have experienced in my audio life, and I am one very happy camper:music:, thanks to eBay.

So, I'm looking forward to participating with the forum.

Are you bored?:boring:

nice sony stuff

im a nubbie an ive learned alot on here thanx.. i just got started on my sony es setup. have pics in my album

Attachments

• IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 25
Old guy, old stuff - Some new, too

Hi all:

I've posted a few times, but this is my favorite category. I am 56 and have been into audio equipment since the late 60's. My late uncle started me on this trek as he had the coolest (I thought at the time) system around. He had a Heathkit AR15W (factory wired), a pair of AR3a's and a Miracord 50H turntable with a Shure v15II. He gave me this stereo when I went off to college in the early 70's.

Too bad he liked to tip a few because the AR's had two bad tweeters and a blown midrange that he never noticed. When I went to Tech Hifi (remember them?) to get repair prices, I almost puked. $250 for all those components. Being young and having no repair experience, I traded them in on a pair of Large Advent Utility Cabinet speakers. The Heathkit needed some repairs so I went to the local outlet (yes they had a brick and mortar store) and had it repaired for $60.

This system saw me through many years until I was working at a large appliance & electronic chain between college and grad school. Employee purchase prices, oh boy! I spent a princely sum in 1979 dollars for a Sansui AU717 integrated and a matching TU717 tuner (great stuff, but prone to breakdown), a Philips AF877 turntable with a Shure V15V and some of the best USA speakers I have ever heard, JBL L166 Horizons. These cost me $500a pair at employee prices in 1979 dollars. The real L series, hand wound voice coils, cast alloy baskets, titantium coated cloth tweeters and etc.

Ah yes...then the marriage/divorce tragedy and it all got sold. Still sad about losing this stuff. Now a second marriage and a very understanding wife. I bought, sold, traded, inherited a whole bunch of stuff between 1999 and now to get a mixture of vintage, recent used and new stuff. Still upgrading of course.

Now I have a 1990's vintage Rotel power amp, a Carver C1 preamp, a pair of Paradigm Titan v.6 (last of the breed), an upgraded Project Debut III, a Marantz CD63 SE and just to be modern, a Denon 720AE network player.

I'm still looking for a decent Parasound P/HP 850 preamp, but so are a quite a few others. I can never act in time when I see one listed. Best under $200 used preamp I have ever heard. Anyone have one for sale?

Boo!

I'm new (obviously) and I'm about the most audio knowledgeable person in my area, which isn't saying much honestly, the only other guy in town (small town) who likes audio thinks good is throwing 5+ digits of money at anything that has B&W stamped on it, nice, but I'm in it for the fun of it.

Hardcore HK fan, and I've been tinkering away on my 825/870 combo for about a year now, picking up and getting rid of speakers as I like, doing about the same thing with turntables too.

I joined the forum because my problems have exceeded my knowledge, mostly parts sourcing. Apparently according to the rules that isn't a good reason to join a forum? I'm not too into doing stuff online, I don't like typing information if I don't have to, so my social conversation about sound is usually limited to conversation (read"talking with another person in the same room as you), and even that's limited as I don't like saying anything that I don't have to. If anyone asks me a question I'll be more than happy to answer it, and if I see something I'm good with I'll throw in my 2 bits but other than that I'm more of an asked and answered kind of person and I'm not going to debate "better" or "worse" beyond making a quote from published literature or presenting a graph because everything beyond that is subjective and it's not worth changing someone's opinion just because you don't like it.

If anyone here is up around Marquette in the U.P. sometime, drop me a message, you can stop by and have a listen provided you like my taste in music.

Hi Guys,
Im a new member from NYC. I keep logging on to learn more about classic '70s gear so I thought it was about time I say hello.
I am getting more and more back into analog and have a pretty simple set up a Yamaha Cr-1020 a Technics 1200 and Polk Lsi9's . I really dig listening to the vinyl on the cr-1020 but the big surprise is how great the tuner sounds.

Also new to AK...

I wanted to say hello. I have been haunting the forums, trying to learn a bit about some of the gear I have inherited. Anyway, most of what I have gleaned has been very helpful and I am having a lot of fun playing with some old equipment.

I do have a couple of questions... Mostly about a Sansui 5000A. I have opened it, cleaned out a lot of dust and hit everything I could with DeOxit. The right side sounds beautiful, the left side keeps blowing the quickfuse. Any thoughts? Otherwise, this is an original Sansui my father brought home from Saigon in/around '70.

And no, the boards that cause fire issues were never replaced-- but it has been in service for 40 years at this point, with only a little downtime. So, I am feeling confident that while the board number matches the bad boards, I think we may be past the danger zone.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom