Well - It’s supposed to be cheap.

This is a $99 toy turntable, competing with the likes of Crosley.... plus it will give me something to be interested in at Ikea besides the cheap hot dogs. I don't think its role is to play your cherished records which you plan to keep forever, it's more for someone who wants a funky new toy to play with for a while.

????

Weathers had a wood tonearm, FM/strain gauge cartridge, and was a quality turntable in spite of it's humble appearance.
Yes, but still low budget/ high value. The AR XA was better for the same price. I'm withholding judgement on this one.

Actually when I lived in the UK I bought quite a bit of their stuff for my rentals and it was surprisingly good. I bought some bedside cabinets which brought to Australia 15 years ago that I bought about 20 years ago, they have been halfway round the world and moved house several times and been in a house that lost its room in a cyclone and they got soaked, yet they did not split or swell up like these things often do. IMO their stuff is well made and good for the money.
Chris
Meh. My fiance furnished half our house with Ikea furniture. Half of it is broken at the joints, the extremely thin particle board has broken where the cam locks sit. The 10 year olds bed has faired the worst.

Going against the grain here but I kinda like it, if they pull it off right with a good tonearm and decent drive system I think it could be a good, basic and cheap turntable. Much better than most what'd you'd get for $99 today. Though time will tell.

Makes me want to put on some ABBA and eat some lutefisk. I think I'll pass on all three.

Good buddy of mine is from Norway, great guy. I asked him about lutefisk. He claimed, and I quote, "It's really good!"

Yeah, man. I'll.....uh, just take your word on that. Like Jules Winfield said in Pulp Fiction, "A sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but I wouldn't know, cause I ain't eatin' the nasty mf'er."

As to the table, well......it's cheap! There's that.

Seems like that's been done before. Oh, wait. Here we go:

View attachment 1419123

I’m sure that the market for the Ikea Frekvens line will be the same folks buying Lego. They’re probably expecting folks in the 10-15 year old range to be buying them, maybe as their first turntable.
Nobody will mistake it for an audiophile offering..or will they?

Check out the top of the line model:
View attachment 1419208

I'd prefer one of these: The Ready Made Project: Record Player by using IKEA kitchen accessories

DSCF9658.JPG

Meh. My fiance furnished half our house with Ikea furniture. Half of it is broken at the joints, the extremely thin particle board has broken where the cam locks sit. The 10 year olds bed has faired the worst.
As Max said you can buy cheap and it is ok, but spend a bit more but still cheap and there stuff is very good, you get real wood veneer and thick also sealed at the ends so even if it gets wet wont swell. One of the best bargains used to be their laminate flooring, here in Aus laminates are expensive and junk. The Ikea one was waterproof and seriously hard wearing and cheap too.
Chris

Actually, Crosley has a much more full-featured turntable for under $99, with Audio-Technica AT3600 cartridge and fully automatic mechanism:

https://amzn.to/2Nc3cXL

t400-cr.jpg
I came extremely close to buying that table before I found this forum and did some actual research.

At any rate...yeah that's an ugly table, but $99 at IKEA is $199 outside IKEA, in my experience. The flush platter gives me pause. The 1/2" mount and apparently unbalanced arm give me fits. Maybe its just a weird counterweight.

I am far from an enlisted in this hobby but I would not pay $1 for it. I have some nice records in my collection that were only a $1 or $2. Just have no use for that grinder.

Last edited:
Actually, Crosley has a much more full-featured turntable for under $99, with Audio-Technica AT3600 cartridge and fully automatic mechanism:

https://amzn.to/2Nc3cXL

t400-cr.jpg

The Ikea player has a 1/2" mount cartridge, and looks like a low slung weighted counterbalance. I don't see anti-skate, but I assume it tracks around 3g, with that AT3600. If the platter is weighted, the bearing is decent, and other details like that, what's the big deal? I see a minimalist turntable with some promise to sound good.. Jury out till its possible to see one up close. That crosley is fine, I'm sure, but it looks less interesting than the new Ikea product, because that basic design has been kicking around for 25 years already. Sure the Ikea unit could be junk, but I don't see clear evidence that it isn't a bargain either

I might get my buddy to get me one on his discount. Just to put eyes on it. Full disclosure: I kind of hate most modern TT designs.

Back
Top Bottom