Well - It’s supposed to be cheap.

Well here's some real Swedish design and quality at a reasonable cost to stuff up our high raised audiophilic noses ;).

...lutfisk!? That's for cowards! Just give a holler and I'll send ya a can of surströmming to enjoy while listening to this fine turntable (don't know what it is? Google it...)

Greetings from Sweden!

I kinda like it. Nice and minimalist. Of course, I'm one of those weirdos who likes Bang & Olufsen turntables, soooooooooo.......... :crazy:
bg4002_lidopen.jpg

bg8000_lidopen.jpg

tx2_spinning.jpg

Actually: a low profile flat design isn´t that a bad of an idea. At least not for us that has to cram our TT:s into a cabinet, due to loosing domestic negotiations about interior design.

Actually: a low profile flat design isn´t that a bad of an idea. At least not for us that has to cram our TT:s into a cabinet, due to loosing domestic negotiations about interior design.
When I met every girlfriend over the years and eventually my missus the hifi is a non discussion point you can do what you want in the house but the hifi and speaker position is not up for discussion full stop.
Happy to have stupid cushions everywhere and other girly stuff just dont impend on my hifi one line the only line :)

I don't know why someone doesn't come up with a new drawer-loading turntable that can be put in the middle of a stack of A/V components. In the 1980s they were common, all the way from this fancy auto-reverse model with automatic track detection to cheap ones from brands like Yorx that had a manual mechanism and ceramic cartridge.

I don't know why someone doesn't come up with a new drawer-loading turntable that can be put in the middle of a stack of A/V components. In the 1980s they were common, all the way from this fancy auto-reverse model with automatic track detection to cheap ones from brands like Yorx that had a manual mechanism and ceramic cartridge.

CDs do that. Drawer phono players miss most of the point of spinning vinyl.
BTW, I have one of these buried in storage somewhere.
bingad.jpg
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=141382

Last edited:

I think it's down to cost and perceived value. I have a Sansui P-l95r which I like very much, but it listed for $500 new in the 80s. With today's smaller market, and inflation, I would suspect $2000 would be a more likely price for such a complex device. It won't hold a candle to conventional $2000 players sonically, and I doubt a casual user would want to pay so much for a turntable. It also doesn't look like a turntable, and a lot of people buy on appearance.

When I met every girlfriend over the years and eventually my missus the hifi is a non discussion point you can do what you want in the house but the hifi and speaker position is not up for discussion full stop.
Happy to have stupid cushions everywhere and other girly stuff just dont impend on my hifi one line the only line :)

That’s kind of nice. My wife put her foot down when someone gave me a working pair of Peavey SP3 stage speakers and I wanted to bring ‘em in the house to hear ‘em.. - NO!

C6395145-AFDA-4A6C-B4C7-CBC0D0AC2DAC.jpeg

Do you really expect specs on a $99 hipster TT :confused:

LOL Maybe not, but I'll give anything the benefit of the doubt until I hear it.

Remember way back in the day when Radio Shack was still around? The "Little Rat" battery powered phono preamp was around $12 I think and opinions were all over the place from "beats a $1000 preamp" to "It's garbage...don't use it" So many of those opinions were written by folks who had never heard the thing.

I went out an bought it and compared it to a couple of phono preamps I had that were in the $40 to $125 range... all I can say is that I don't even remember those other preamps and the "Little Rat" is still in use. IME is way better than IMO. Everyone has a freaking opinion... fewer have actual experience. Did the Little Rat beat a $1000 preamp? I don't know... the most expensive preamp I have is the Hagerman Cornet and it doesn't beat that... but it did beat all the low priced preamps I had including the MMF Phono Box or whatever that's called... so it's not garbage either... and for $12 (or whatever it was... I remember it was dirt cheap compared to everything else at the time) it was great.

So don't count out the IKEA Hipsterphono... :) At least until we hear it.

Remember way back in the day when Radio Shack was still around? The "Little Rat" battery powered phono preamp was around $12 I think and opinions were all over the place from "beats a $1000 preamp" to "It's garbage...don't use it" So many of those opinions were written by folks who had never heard the thing.

I went out an bought it and compared it to a couple of phono preamps I had that were in the $40 to $125 range... all I can say is that I don't even remember those other preamps and the "Little Rat" is still in use. IME is way better than IMO. Everyone has a freaking opinion... fewer have actual experience. Did the Little Rat beat a $1000 preamp? I don't know... the most expensive preamp I have is the Hagerman Cornet and it doesn't beat that... but it did beat all the low priced preamps I had including the MMF Phono Box or whatever that's called... so it's not garbage either... and for $12 (or whatever it was... I remember it was dirt cheap compared to everything else at the time) it was great.

That is my philosophy. The circuit either works or it doesn't. I don't care who made it or how much it cost. Like how DCM made speakers out of cardboard, car headliners and driveway sealer, but I almost never see a complaint.

I remember that RS pre amp. I sold them. About half worked and had good SQ. The other half hummed audibly. I guess I should have said "good specs" that include an AK approved W & F number.;)

I remember that RS pre amp. I sold them. About half worked and had good SQ. The other half hummed audibly. I guess I should have said "good specs" that include an AK approved W & F number.;)

I remember looking inside and seeing the huge globs of solder and thinking to myself that it was going to sound like garbage because it looked like garbage. I was mistaken! :) I guess I got one of the ones that worked. lol

I briefly had one of those Sharp RP-117s. I could open the drawer and put a record in, but it wouldn't spin up. I couldn't figure out how to remove the belts, so I took it to a repairman who had a booth at a local flea market. Sadly, said flea market closed down abruptly several years ago, and I have no way to contact the man who ran the booth. :(

Anyway, one issue with that particular sort of turntable is the necessarily-small platter. I have an Audio-Technica AT-770 "Mister Disc" portable record player which also has a small platter, and an LP with any real amount of warp will have issues with clearance. Perhaps the reasons for the platter size are different, but I'm sure the results are similar. Though I don't have the RP-117 anymore, I do have a Pioneer PL-88FS drawer loader which, unlike the Sharp, has a full-size platter.
-Adam

I guess it would take a lot to make a good one, it would be expensive to engineer and build. The vinyl resurgence is amazong, but I don't think it's at the level where a lot of R&D money is going to be spent by the big boys on a "niche of a niche" turntable. I'm actually surprised Panasonic spent the $$ to re-engineer the SL 1200. Happy they did it, but surprised.

Back
Top Bottom