Well, my new used classical guitar is on its way.

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
I bought a used Kenny Hill Estudio guitar..found a 628mm for my non flexible fingers....for size comparison...far right is 628mm.

kenny_hill_player_650vs640vs6281.jpg

kenny_hill_estudio_628_cedar_02.jpg

Nice! Never played that model, but had a nice nylon string when I was a kid. It always seems to make me play a little differently. Let us know your impressions!

Very nice. I've read many good things about those guitars. What wood combination did you get? Any idea what strings you're going to go with, and don't forget to get a nice, sturdy foot rest if you don't already have one. :)
Its Cedar top...
I have a foot rest....:)

But I have a question: The G string is a tad muted...no fret buzz or anything...maybe its just the age of the string...

I don't know which strings I want...

I just read to try some carbon or wound G string...or even some gut strings for a more vintage/muted sound. OR

I might try these strings..

d8ec144362df0f42943debf4f48350c1.image.380x380.jpg

a64714b8e4c3ef3a77027730cee02122.image.380x380.jpg

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and get it professionally set up ... I'm sure there's a shop in your area that can "match" it to you perfectly.

sounds like the nut might need a bit of tweaking. good suggestion getting it professionally setup. the Hannabach are a very good choice but I would also look at Pyramid, Curt Mangan, and Thomastik-Infeld in addition to the D'Addario Pro-Arte Hybrid set with Carbon G. If you're looking to cut down on finger noise then Labella or Daddario Recording strings would also be worthwhile to check out. :)

I checked the strings you mentioned as well...In reading the webs, it seems that a "thuddy" G string is quite common.....sometimes matches the overall tonality of the guitar...

Congratulations on your guitar purchase, playing music is a lot of fun and is very relaxing.

Does it thud at every fret or just a certain one? If it is just at a certain fret it could be a "wolf" tone for the guitar that thuds at that note. My Yamaha G232 ii has this but otherwise sounds quite good. It was my main guitar for 20 years. Your guitar is much nicer.

I have replaced the Yamaha with a 1968 Taurus model 56 that I bought off of Kijiji (like Craigs list) for cheap that luckily does not have this. It is in great shape with only a few nail marks in the French polish, not bad for an almost 50 year old guitar. I then bought a Paulino Bernabe M50 classical guitar that I bought off of epay that was a great deal but not cheap. It plays evenly on all frets, has great action and plays loud. It also has a warm but clear tone. This will be my last guitar as I am going to retire in the next 5 years and I will not be able to afford better.

Here is a Youtube clip of my guitar played by someone much better than me who I bought the guitar from (Tavi Jinariu) to give you an idea of it's tone.

For strings I prefer Savarez red card as they have good bass and trebles. I used to use natural gut strings as they sound great for earlier music like Dowland but they are hard to find where I am. I guess I could purchase them online but I just use nylon strings now as they last much longer than gut strings. I even use nylon strings on my Renaissance lute.

Depending on where you live, you might want to buy a guitar humidifier that fits in the soundhole or in the case to keep your guitar from cracking. If the humidity drops much below 30% for extended lengths of time there is a danger of this. But not always, as I lived in Las Vegas for 4 years and my Yamaha has no ill effects from the low humidity. Currently I have aquariums in my house that keep the humidity at around 40% during winter up here in Canada so I don't have to worry about it. Enjoy your guitar!

Last edited:
Nice, I would look at the nut. I never liked nylon strings, always preferred gut for classical guitars. I have had a few USA Fender's back in the day

Congratulations on your guitar purchase, playing music is a lot of fun and is very relaxing.

Does it thud at every fret or just a certain one? If it is just at a certain fret it could be a "wolf" tone for the guitar that thuds at that note. My Yamaha G232 ii has this but otherwise sounds quite good. It was my main guitar for 20 years. Your guitar is much nicer.

I have replaced the Yamaha with a 1968 Taurus model 56 that I bought off of Kijiji (like Craigs list) for cheap that luckily does not have this. It is in great shape with only a few nail marks in the French polish, not bad for an almost 50 year old guitar. I then bought a Paulino Bernabe M50 classical guitar that I bought off of epay that was a great deal but not cheap. It plays evenly on all frets, has great action and plays loud. It also has a warm but clear tone. This will be my last guitar as I am going to retire in the next 5 years and I will not be able to afford better.

Here is a Youtube clip of my guitar played by someone much better than me who I bought the guitar from (Tavi Jinariu) to give you an idea of it's tone.

For strings I prefer Savarez red card as they have good bass and trebles. I used to use natural gut strings as they sound great for earlier music like Dowland but they are hard to find where I am. I guess I could purchase them online but I just use nylon strings now as they last much longer than gut strings. I even use nylon strings on my Renaissance lute.

Depending on where you live, you might want to buy a guitar humidifier that fits in the soundhole or in the case to keep your guitar from cracking. If the humidity drops much below 30% for extended lengths of time there is a danger of this. But not always, as I lived in Las Vegas for 4 years and my Yamaha has no ill effects from the low humidity. Currently I have aquariums in my house that keep the humidity at around 40% during winter up here in Canada so I don't have to worry about it. Enjoy your guitar!

See, my left hand is not as spider legged as your video...that is a very nice player and guitar!

sounds like the nut might need a bit of tweaking.

You talkin' bout me? I KNOW you're not talkin' bout ME!!
(Oh, wait ... never mind) <G>

PS ... anytime I hear someone mention a G string, I gotta flash on Homer Simpson putting on thongs ... and they keep disappearing ... (shudder) ...

Last edited:
I noticed that the thuddy string does not sit as deep in the nut...I will take it to a shop..

pictures:

You can buy the guitar, music and lessons but you can't buy the most important thing. You can't buy the practice.

Nice looking guitar. I am going to have to practice more as well but I just broke off my right hand middle finger nail. I hate when that happens, it really throws me off when I am playing.

Back
Top Bottom