Well? Where's the gossip and news ...

bully

fer sure somebody brought a wireless laptop to the dance! :cool:

At least we peons could hear a bit as it goes on ... eh?

I can't imagine someone isn't there plugged into the hotel with a laptop or using the hotel TV internet connection. (If they have that) Likely we will hear tonight though...

I was thinking the samething,Pete! Maybe they all had a big fight and aren't talking to each other?

Alan

MAYBE

opt80 could be fighting but maybe they're recovery from too much:

1.Beer.
2.Sex.
3.Chicken wings.
4.Listening to good music. (Can't have too much of that can you?)
5. Swapping audio gear stories.

WHHHAAAA! They're having too much fun without me.:(

I need a hug. :rolleyes:

Macc, go work on your thong calendar for a bit, You know that always makes you feel better :p:

-Dave

Yeah, it would have been great fun to have been able to go.
Weather should even have given 'em a break.
Hope someone 'gets in touch' with us, later!

Here's what I theorize is going on:

This morning all the equipment got set up in the various rooms and what not, but the wiring in the hotel just couldn't keep up with all those amps powered up at once, and all the circuit breakers blew, causing an embarassing and uncomfortable situation for the hotel staff.

Prior to this power outage the front desk had been flooded with calls from guests asking about small earthquakes and whether or not they needed to evacuate the hotel. We all know the true culprit behind these 'earthquakes.'

With the small 'earthquakes' getting the guests pretty anxious followed by the subsequent power outage in the hotel, the hotel management was forced to refund AK's money and ask them to leave. After spending the better part of the afternoon packing up gear they've all headed to grumpy's house to set everything up once again, giving new meaning to his member name.

Yep, with all this snow,a gathering like that would have just been what I needed.
I prolly would have bought tons of stuff,found a used cd store(all on visa of course)
Reality visits and tells me I am not going anywhere,neither is the snow and i have to refinance a loan to get a car.yep I'm happy,where's the tylenol

Alan

Sorry guys, but I didn;t see one laptop. Let me tell you it was a huge sucess! There are going to be tons of pics posted shortly I'm sure.

I survived ...

Ok, this is from a laptop at the hotel but guess what, no pictures from me :) - there will be lots to come from others; I saw a bunch of digital cameras flashing away.

Great event with good tunes, interesting gear, nice feast (those Buffalo chicken wings! damn!), cool prizes and most of all, great people. I certainly had my favorite rooms (as in tubes and high-eff. speakers do it best :D ) but this was a bit of an eye opener for me, I have a whole new respect for some vintage gear. Grump killed me (and my wallet) with a trip last night to a great record store where I made a fool of myself piling vinyl on the counter and throwing money at the surprised clerk. This sad vinyl junky got to cap the evening off perfectly with some good live Blues and BBQ – nice choice Grump. Hey, 5 sorry looking audio geeks even made it away unscathed from Detroit’s finest; hard to beat that (fix that headlight Grump).

Gotta thank all who made this happen, especially Grumpy, Kama and their families. Well worth the drive down from Toronto.

Billfort

WOW !

My mind is still over loaded from trying to take in everything today. Give me a little to collect my thought ( all one of them ;) ) and I will post in a bit.

I can tell ya that Ward will have one hell of a page of pics to post :)

Grumpy

Well I promised that I would lurk no more. This was a great day full of great gear, people and food. Grumpy, thanks a lot for everything that you and all the others did today, but back hurts from the sx-1250 that I lugged in.

Popped a virgin first post!

Hide no more-- anyone with an SX-1250 should be posting praise perfusively! That's high vintage.

Welcome to the board, gosh, you got to mix and mingle with all the guys and I was just a hermit hiding here at home.

Sounds like it was a total blast. I really wanted to make it, but just couldn't this round.

Can't wait to see the pictures of all the beautiful gear, messy food & ugly guys. :D

mOOn

Originally posted by JimiJohnB
Here's what I theorize is going on:

This morning all the equipment got set up in the various rooms and what not, but the wiring in the hotel just couldn't keep up with all those amps powered up at once, and all the circuit breakers blew, causing an embarassing and uncomfortable situation for the hotel staff.

Prior to this power outage the front desk had been flooded with calls from guests asking about small earthquakes and whether or not they needed to evacuate the hotel. We all know the true culprit behind these 'earthquakes.'

With the small 'earthquakes' getting the guests pretty anxious followed by the subsequent power outage in the hotel, the hotel management was forced to refund AK's money and ask them to leave. After spending the better part of the afternoon packing up gear they've all headed to grumpy's house to set everything up once again, giving new meaning to his member name.

This post is funny because I believe we were very close to over loading the electrical circuits. My amp are biasable with above chassis test points so the first thing I do is check the bias when I have transported them. It was very low ! We were in a time warp of wall voltages of the 60's of 112V so I adjusted the bias accordingly. Check a few hours later and hmm dropped again LOL !!!

But everything actually went smooth and sounded great. We were to busy having fun to make at the scene reports !

Craig

Originally posted by NOSValves
This post is funny because I believe we were very close to over loading the electrical circuits. My amp are biasable with above chassis test points so the first thing I do is check the bias when I have transported them. It was very low ! We were in a time warp of wall voltages of the 60's of 112V so I adjusted the bias accordingly. Check a few hours later and hmm dropped again LOL !!!

But everything actually went smooth and sounded great. We were to busy having fun to make at the scene reports !

Craig

Craig's got a point. I live 3 miles from the hotel and my line voltage, even in my 1939 house, is 122VAC around the clock. The hotel shares the block with a LARGE hospital, and having worked in the disaster recovery department of the power company here I know that hospitals have the best maintained circuits because reliability is so critical. Something was definitely up with the power circuits in the hotel and it was probably our fault. A pole voltage of only 112VAC would have been top priority for correction once it was discovered.
Regarding Craig himself, if any of you tubeheads have the chance to chat with this guy don't pass it up. He's a fount of knowledge, jokes, enthusiasm and fun. Very generous with time and information. Isn't that what you're looking for in a tube dealer?

I think the line voltage was sucked dry when "Play that Funky Music White Boy" got cranked up on the old Marantz system.

Back
Top Bottom