Welp, this is a new one (unusual car thread)

soundmotor

super modified
I rather like it -

U7yW7Ub.jpg

Mod summary from owner -

I'ts a 78 Pacer on a 74 Chero frame that has the rear portion of the frame removed right after the rear spring mount then a new crossmember put on. It is amazing how similar the shape of the frame was between the 2. The tires are 21.5-16.1 ag tires +- 46 inches tall 21 inches wide. Wheelbase is stretched 6 inches. Its an mildly done 87 Wagoneer 360 V-8 motor and 727 trans mated to a 208 with a divorced 205 behind it. D60 from an 81 dodge in the front with a full detroit and a FF 14b rear with a Detroit. 4:56 ratio The fuel tank is a 22 gallon poly cj tank with the metal skid plate for the fuel tank. Hydro assist on the steering. Has the usual upgrades TFI etc. Is registered and insured as 1978 Pacer.

Now that is a car I thought I would never see again. That is a lot of work for a pacer. All that glass on a heavy duty 4x4. He needs to hang a few more rabbits feet to match the one on the right front. I wonder how hard it would be to find replacement glass for that?

My best high school friend's father owned one and that was my friends only transport during high school.
We called it the "greenhouse" and the "fishbowl". I remember we ripped the exhaust off of it one winter playing in the snow in the parking lot of the Blues Hockey stadium in St. Louis MO. We were there for the Rush 2112 concert. I never liked that car growing up, but seeing one brings back some good memories. Being in my 50's now, I think that car has grown on me.

Last edited:
My best high school friend's father owned one and that was my friends only transport during high school.

Post HS, but still in college my friends & I swapped car transport duties to save on gas. One friend's mom had a tan Pacer but she always was using it so when it was his turn to drive he'd show up in his dad's Caprice. Except one time he showed up in the Pacer and no one wanted to ride in it. In hindsight pretty funny; we either got in or took someone else's car. Details hazy now.

A car so ugly it was cute.Fellow worker had one brand new and was driving home from work and the drivers door fell off!Just saw a fully loaded one up at my local ford dealer but its vanished now.

Aside from the drop and the paint scheme, both of which are matters of taste,
that Rambler (or whatever) is one sweet li'l wagon!

Is that a Nash?

Yep,

59 Nash.

Heavily worked over Chevy 350, line lock, chopped 9" locker rear with 14" wide slicks. Power windows, seats, steering, white leather interior and AC....

A true gentleman's street rod (with a more appropriate paint scheme).

At a show a few weeks later..... This little jewel pops up

Sporting a 20 year old repaint but otherwise original inside and out.

It's rough living in the land of hot rods and cool older cars.

If you are too young to have seen one of these. 1953 Chevy Sedan Delivery (not the larger truck frame panel delivery, the smaller car frame sedan delivery). I could not reach a price with the owner and now they are hot roding it. I'll take another peek in a few months to see if it is still interesting.

53-sedan-delivery1.jpg

53-sedan-delivery2.jpg

My great uncle drove a Pacer for years until he was in an accident with it. He turned in front of someone and got T-boned. He quit driving at that point, I think he was 82 or so at the time.

I tried to talk my mom into buying a 4x4 Eagle wagon at one point in the late 90s. She had a mid 80s Olds Cutlass at the time, and it was our tow vehicle for a pair of jet-skis. It was a miserably underpowered POC and launching from the beach like we did was difficult since it was prone to doing a one wheel peel and getting stuck. My thinking was the I6 and 4x4 abilities of the wagon would have made it a good choice for what we did, but she couldn't get past the woodgrain or the looks.

My great uncle drove a Pacer for years until he was in an accident with it. He turned in front of someone and got T-boned. He quit driving at that point, I think he was 82 or so at the time.

I tried to talk my mom into buying a 4x4 Eagle wagon at one point in the late 90s. She had a mid 80s Olds Cutlass at the time, and it was our tow vehicle for a pair of jet-skis. It was a miserably underpowered POC and launching from the beach like we did was difficult since it was prone to doing a one wheel peel and getting stuck. My thinking was the I6 and 4x4 abilities of the wagon would have made it a good choice for what we did, but she couldn't get past the woodgrain or the looks.

The woodgrain was a bit of an issue but I swear that vehicle was the original 'crossover'...

Since you guys are talking Ramblers, I've been eye-balling this one lately

http://www.racingjunk.com/Complete-...otification=true&page=2&offset=11&from=search

Now there's a paint job. Coupe has a nice roofline though.

That '53 "Sedan Delivery" is way way cool. So long as people don't think it's a hearse.

Last edited:
If I were lucky, rich, and could drive a stick, I would love to have a SC/Rambler. Or a Rebel Machine! Or a full GoPack outfitted AMX or a Javelin (the latter could be had with automatic, so money the issue)

Back
Top Bottom