Western Electric WE753 remake.

Bravo! Those are stunningly beautiful! You have a gift, and your friend is fortunate to have such a friend as you!

Beautiful job! i want a pair (seriously).. PM me a quote!

I am quite familiar with 753s, both the ultra rare A version with the 752A tweeter and C version without tweeter. The A version is more desirable among collectors although both are pretty good sounding, if not up to the performance of the WE 757A of the same era.

They did indeed use a Jensen PM-15 but I think they specified their own cone. It seems softer than a standard Jensen cone of that era.

You can get good sound out of the 32/802 and the 12" 414 Altec woofer. That's what I'd put in them. 601 coax is essentially the same thing as a 414 with a tweeter horn in the way.

On the swirl grill cloth, I had a can of spray pain that I bought at closeout at Jo-Ann or Michael's craft supply that sprayed in swirls like that (pink). I bought another can of black that sprayed in a web pattern at the same sale. Never saw either product again. This was around 1990.

I think that somewhere in the lost archives are recipes for paint additives that will produce those effects with a sprayer.

Last edited:
Finally finished these puppies and delivered them to my friend's house.

Awesome speakers. I love the styling of the face frame in walnut! I actually stumbled upon a picture of this build on another forum before finding it here.

So...what do they say, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery?

I’ve been planning an Altec based build which is basically going to be a 9849 monitor but, I want to to infuse that WE asthetic like you did here.

Do you mind sharing a few details of your build that aren’t evident in the photos?

For example, how did you attach the cloth to the motor boards? Staples, adhesive? Also, how does the face frame and side profiles attach to the cabinet? And how did you then attach the motorboard?

Marantzfan, sorry for slow reply. Been out of state and in prison (just kidding about the prison). I don't mind sharing at all.

For example, how did you attach the cloth to the motor boards? Staples, adhesive? Also, how does the face frame and side profiles attach to the cabinet? And how did you then attach the motorboard

Answer, the motorboards insert from the rear pushed up against the slats/sides I wrapped the cloth around the front of the motorboards, stretched it tight and then shot 2 million 1/4" staples from the back side. can't recall if used 3M 77 spray adhesive but that would help as well

I attached the motorboards using screws from the back into the back of the front sides and top and bottom.

I built the face frame (top and bottom curved sections, 6 slats and 2 sides first. I used 2 7/16" wide spacers between the slats to make sure distance is equal. I assembled this with the front facing downward on a large piece of plywood just a little larger than the front . I clamped the curved top and bottom to the plywood then inserted the slats and side pieces with the spacers in between and used Titebon III glue to hold the slats/sides. I shot finish nails in from the back side to hold slates and sides.

I then cut the 3/4" ply sides to fit inside the curved pieces and used pocket screws to attach to front sides. Then cut the top and bottom to overlap the sides and used pocket screws to attach to the back of the curved top/bottom. Then veneered the top. I glued solid walnut to the edges of the top and bottom before veneering since some of the sides are exposed above the 1/2" plywood on the sides with walnut veneer.

Gotta build the front first then attach parts to it since the front piece is hard to fit to a box.

hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1542.JPG
    IMG_1542.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1542.JPG
    IMG_1542.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 31
Thank you do much! That’s a huge help.

I’ve alrady started my project and built the box first. Guess I’ll go the opposite order then you did and build the face frames to fit the boxes.

I like your use of pocket screws and have been looking for an excuse to get my jig out. ;)

Back
Top Bottom