Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, a non-professional review

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by BadassBob, Nov 3, 2014.

1. ajward549

ajward549 AK Subscriber Subscriber

So i've done it, and bi-amped these speakers sound pretty great! Thing is, they are also even more revealing. If you media isn't great quality it is very obvious.

beatcomber, oldgringo and lokerola like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. miko16

miko16 New Member

[​IMG]

Sharing my Denton, lovely wood grain and tungsten cloth grill! :beerchug:

beatcomber likes this.
  3. wim1983

wim1983 Active Member

Nice! I would prefer the walnut tone instead, if they can come out with more strict and standard wood veneer finish, and enhance existing bass, that would be perfect.

miko16 likes this.
  4. easycraig

easycraig AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have been remodeling the kitchen, and with that I sort of stumbled into a very minor whole house remodel, the wife and i have been focusing on down sizing. I saw the 80th Wharfedale Dentons on sale today at Music Direct ($399/pair) so I just ordered a pair hoping I will enjoy them, and the wife will love the look and size of them in the living room versus the larger RSL speaks I currently have been running. I have been MIA lately, -hope everyone is doing well for the holidays. Craig

lokerola likes this.
  5. TaddNOhio

TaddNOhio AK Subscriber Subscriber

so a fully restored Marantz 2245 is not recommended to pair with these speakers?

atkish1986 likes this.
  6. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a fully restored Sony STR 7045 paired to them and they sound very good.

7. TaddNOhio

TaddNOhio AK Subscriber Subscriber

and thats only 30 wpc ... my fully restored Marantz 2245 tested out at over 60RMS per channel before clipping

... so im thinking the Wharfedales will sound pretty good with my 2245 .. any other thoughts?

8. rxonmymind

You won't know until you try. Power isn't everything as was the case when I put up my then NOT restored Realistic 2100D (120W) to them. My wife and I concluded quickly that the Sony sounded better with them.
    I have that same receiver back now fully restored that's breaking in on the Klipsch Bells and they sound great. I'll eventually try them again on the Whafdale's next week. It'll be interesting to see if they sound better this time.
    Power isn't be all end all. Marantz has a reputation for being much more musical than other receivers.
    Go for it.

9. atkish1986

atkish1986 New Member

I have a Marantz 2240 and I JUST purchased the Dentons. I'm aware of their long break in time but I can offer my thoughts when I get them hooked up.

10. wim1983

wim1983 Active Member

I'm not sure about old Marantz model, I guess Marantz tend to add a little of sound tune to the amp, which I think is unneccessary, and with a power amp I still think that it need more power, lol, you can still hear good with low power amp, depend how dynamic and loud clean clear you want to hear

roadie1 likes this.
  11. rxonmymind

Ironically I did put the Denton's to the test with my Marantz 2500 and Realistic 2100D(pre-capped) and found that it didn't pair well. My humble Sony STR 7045 & 7055 sounded best on it. Conversely the Marantz sounds excellent on the highly sensitive 104db Klipsch Bells but didn't with either Sony's.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯