Wharfedale Owners Thread

Wow, very clean. Congrats. I'm a big Warfdale guy. Got a few around here, I just like the music coming out of em. Have an oppertunity at another set of W70s down the road. Already have 4, I'm running out of room for stuff.

Dirk

Guess I'm in the set!. 4 W70s, and as of last Friday, 4 W90s.ive had the 70s, and one set of 90s, awhile now. A friend called from bend Oregon, saying he thought he found a pair of W 90s, in the back room of a local stereo store.

He did, and now their here, with me. I paid 300.00 for this set, and I think 300.00 for the last set of 90s. The 70s, went for 300.00 and like 275.00, one pair of 70s were near Portland, the other in Reno. I don't mind spending the money if their in great shape, which is what I got.

The 90s came from south of Seattle, the others set obviously, Bend Oregon.

All in fantastic shape, and all sound killer. I've got a set of 90s, with a set of 70s, stacked in my kitchen area, right now that system is an ADS set up " SS".

The plan is to change out the power equipment. Run my DQ-10s with the ADS kit, and the Warfdales with the Dynaco tube system.

Should be a much better fit, the DQ-10s suck up the power.

Dirk

I’ve always wanted to pick up another set of W90’s to try stacking them! I’d flip the top set upside down so the cabinets are tweeter/mids to tweeter/mids. Would love to hear a W90 “wall of sound”!

I've gotW70s stacked on W90s, I agree I need to flip em. Haven't done that. I, smoking a big pile of pork ribs right now, think I'll go do just that.

Until Thursday was running two sets of Cornwalls stacked, second set on its side, to get everything lined up. Magic! I changed it up Thursday, put a second system in the living room system 1 is A Berning 270 tube amp, a Berning TF-10 tube pre amp, a Yamaha 800 TT, a Yamaha Tuner, Nachimichi Cassette, and a Kersera CD player. With a set of Cornwalls Excuse my spelling

2nd stereo is a quicksilver integrated tube amp/pre, Denon 800 cassette, luxman digital tuner, a Fluance TT topped off with my another set of Cornwalls.

I'm out of living room space! Lol.

My kitchen set up is an A/D/S SS amp pre and tuner. The stacked Warfdales with a Kenwood KD2055 TT. Sounds wonderful.

Dirk

Quick question, My W60's are not ported like all the other two way W60's I've seen on the internet. Do I need to port these?? They appear to have never been ported. Did some two way W60's from the mid sixties come without being ported??
I've attached a picture of my W60's dated (1966)and a picture from the internet of a ported W60s from the same time frame (1964)

Wharfedale (1).JPG Wharfedale (2).JPG

Big, if,your,asking me, no idea. Folks think because I have a metric ton of good gear that im "informed" I'm not, I'm the FNG here. Trying hard to learn. If you were to check my posts over on the Tape,deck,section you would discover I make many blunders, and sometimes step in a honey hole.

Blind luck, zero skills involved.

I'm sure the others can help you, their well informed.

Dirk

Quick question, My W60's are not ported like all the other two way W60's I've seen on the internet. Do I need to port these?? They appear to have never been ported. Did some two way W60's from the mid sixties come without being ported??
I've attached a picture of my W60's dated (1966)and a picture from the internet of a ported W60s from the same time frame (1964)

View attachment 1180761 View attachment 1180762

Hmmm....I have some of the 60 D models that are three way and not ported....I have no intention of porting them! Have you recapped them?

No I havent recapped them yet. Trying to decide whether to look for some PIO caps or just use some Solens or Daytons. It appears the originals are not PIO.

I’d like to dedicate this post to my main w90 lovin homie - the legendary GANG-TWANGER! Mr. Twanger was the first AKer that really preached the gospel of the w90 in all of its glory. And what glory it is!!! I recently decided to haul my W90’s out of temporary retirement and rotate them into my living room system. Man I’m glad I did.
There is just something about these oil capped w90’s that just does it for me. I’ve played around with a bunch of “higher end” speakers both vintage and new, and there are very few that put a smile on my face as quickly as the w90’s can. Recently picked up a Pilot 232, and paired with the w90’s I am in midrange heaven! THANK YOU MR. TWANGER AND MR. BRIGGS!

View attachment 1145307 View attachment 1145308 View attachment 1145309 View attachment 1145310

Sweet instamatic (124 on top)! If that flash goes off, anyone in the room might be permanently blinded or perhaps instantly vaporized!

Btw, nice setup! Came on here out of nostalgia. Sent my all alnico W70s and W60D Mk IIs out the door today, to someone who will enjoy them more than I will having some space back.

I posted a thread in the speaker forum about what I found inside one of my W-90's. A paper bag stuck in one of the woofer baskets. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-i-found-in-a-w-90-speaker.829104/ anyway, while I had them pulled out I put an ohm meter across the terminals. It showed around 2 ohms for both speakers. I thought that a bit odd. All the drivers in both speakers are working and the W90's have been playing fine connected to a VTA ST-70 tube amp for some time now. So I was wondering if anyone here with a pair could take a quick ohm reading and let me know what they come up with. Other 8 ohm speakers I have read at leased around 6 ohm.
Thanks

Lavane, I saw that post earlier this morning. As for your query, I have never seen a 4 ohm Wharfedale. When you say you removed the speakers, did you also disconnect the wires, for if not, you'll read across one or more components in the crossover. Those woofers, IMHO, should be 8 to 16 ohms meaning a dcr of 5 to 10 ohms each.

I posted a thread in the speaker forum about what I found inside one of my W-90's. A paper bag stuck in one of the woofer baskets. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-i-found-in-a-w-90-speaker.829104/ anyway, while I had them pulled out I put an ohm meter across the terminals. It showed around 2 ohms for both speakers. I thought that a bit odd. All the drivers in both speakers are working and the W90's have been playing fine connected to a VTA ST-70 tube amp for some time now. So I was wondering if anyone here with a pair could take a quick ohm reading and let me know what they come up with. Other 8 ohm speakers I have read at leased around 6 ohm.
Thanks
I've got 4 W90s, and 4W70s, no idea how to do what you need. if the other W90 pwners can't help let me know, when I've got time I'll pull the back off of one but your going to have to walk me thru the process. " dirkandcarole8495@gmail.com

And my names Dirk

Lavane, I saw that post earlier this morning. As for your query, I have never seen a 4 ohm Wharfedale. When you say you removed the speakers, did you also disconnect the wires, for if not, you'll read across one or more components in the crossover. Those woofers, IMHO, should be 8 to 16 ohms meaning a dcr of 5 to 10 ohms each.
I just put a meter across the speaker terminals on the back. Whenever I've done this with other speakers they tended to come closer to the manufacturers nominal rating. The 90's are rated at 8 ohm. That's why I thought it strange when I got such a low reading at the terminals on the back of the cabinet where you attach speaker wire.

I've got 4 W90s, and 4W70s, no idea how to do what you need. if the other W90 pwners can't help let me know, when I've got time I'll pull the back off of one but your going to have to walk me thru the process. " dirkandcarole8495@gmail.com

And my names Dirk
Just attach an ohm meter to the speaker terminals on the back of the speaker cabinet with the speaker wires removed for testing. Nothing fancy or intrusive.
Thanks

You need to remove one of the woofers and disconnects one of the speaker terminals, and then measure across the two speaker terminals of the woofer. Anything else will give you false readings.

You need to remove one of the woofers and disconnects one of the speaker terminals, and then measure across the two speaker terminals of the woofer. Anything else will give you false readings.
Thanks. I was hoping it was something like that. As I stated, both speakers measured the same low reading and all the drivers are functional. So I'm guessing the amp sees a higher reading when a signal is present? They are the only pair of speakers I've ever owned with so many drivers. I tend to like 2 way designs. The 90's do sound great with most of my tube gear.

The higher reading as seen by the amp is called impedance and it's frequency dependent. It's AC resistance. Some speaker systems will read closer to the rated impedance due to the design of the crossover but it's no real indication of the actual impedance seen by the amplifier. A woofer, for example, with an 8 ohms coil may measure 5 to 6 ohms DCR. However, at 20hz to 30hz, it can have an impedance of several times that and at resonance, even higher. If you've seen the term, NOMINAL impedance, that's the lowest impedance as seen by the amplifier. Typically, an 8 ohms speaker system can have a nominal impedance of around 6 ohms. This usually occurs in the band between about 250hz and 400hz.

Took a chance on Diamond 10.1 bookshelfs, unseen and unheard, based on all the praise the brand (mostly) gets, both here and other audio sites I read. They’re in the back of the room.

6 months later, I like them so much that I purchased, also unseen and unheard, the Diamond 230 towers for the front of the room (mains). I’m a new convert to Wharfedale sound, but I’m impressed. And the fronts are so new, they’re not even broken in yet. Looking forward to hopefully years of pleasurable listening with them.

Back
Top Bottom