1. Welcome to the new server. If you would like to help out with the cost of the new server, check out the thread "Audiokarma's server needs your help" in AK NEWS.
    Dismiss Notice

Wharfedale Sapphire SP-87

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by d-ray657, Jan 8, 2009.

1. d-ray657

d-ray657 Ain't this boogie a mess Subscriber

I know that Wharfedale has a reputation for quality speakers. I haven't been able to find a lot of information on these. Does anyone have an opinion, impressions?

Regards,

D-Ray

2. M Jarve

M Jarve Audio Geek and NGE Freak Subscriber

It's a decent speaker. It's quite efficient, with smooth midrange and treble. Bass is pretty good as well, but I always had the impression it was not tuned quite right. I personally liked it better than the TOTL SP89, but I preferred the contemporary Modus Music 1.6 and Emerald 97 more.

There were a couple versions made, and as a rule, the earlier ones are the better ones. The "True Blue" version was not very good at all, I thought. It is easy to identify this one, as the woofer cone is blue.

The earlier ones can also be coaxed to get a better sound. First, spread the dampening material out over the walls. For some reason, they usually just rolled it up and dropped it in the bottom. I cannot remember if the 87 had a separate enclosure for the mid-bass driver, but if it does, it will certainly need some absorption material in the sub-enclosure.

Ultimately, though, give them a good listen and judge for yourself.

3. d-ray657

d-ray657 Ain't this boogie a mess Subscriber

Thanks for the tips. No blue drivers on these. I might have overpaid at $50 for the pair at the SA, but I have liked what I hear so far. I have used it half the time with a sub-woofer and half without.

Regards,

D-Ray

4. M Jarve

M Jarve Audio Geek and NGE Freak Subscriber

$50 is a steal. These were originally $1000 speakers in the late 1990's.

5. baw333

baw333 Active Member

ty i just read this and was thinking of buying a pair but noticed the blue woofer cone, i love this site!

6. morgan1819

morgan1819 New Member

Interesting. I had a chance to A/B the 'true blue' version, versus the regular, and the blue had a little deeper rumble. I really liked the bass from the blue ... other than that, they sounded identical.