Wharfedale W-70 Vs. BOZAK B-302

Riki

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Wharfedale W-70 or BOZAK B-302. The asking price is the same on both of them. So the big questions is, which would you choose? They will be driven by a Marantz 2230, and will be playing blues/reggae/rock primarily.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

00j0j_6SzN0O0SEF8_600x450.jpg

00R0R_9kSQHzB0LvN_600x450.jpg

I think the W70’s would be a better match for your 2230. Both are great sounding speakers, but I have found the Bozaks do better with more power. The W70’s with the 2230 won’t do deep reggae bass at loud volumes, but the bass it will do will be tuneful and of high quality. If you do want bigger bass at louder volumes, the Bozaks paired with a more powerful SS amp would be the ticket.

I currently run a pair of W90’s with a small 12wpc Pilot tube amp, and both reggae and rock sound great to me with amazing tone and texture, and a fantastic midrange. Bass is of high quality but won’t blow you out of the room or shake the walls.

I think the W70’s would be a better match for your 2230. Both are great sounding speakers, but I have found the Bozaks do better with more power. The W70’s with the 2230 won’t do deep reggae bass at loud volumes, but the bass it will do will be tuneful and of high quality. If you do want bigger bass at louder volumes, the Bozaks paired with a more powerful SS amp would be the ticket.

I currently run a pair of W90’s with a small 12wpc Pilot tube amp, and both reggae and rock sound great to me with amazing tone and texture, and a fantastic midrange. Bass is of high quality but won’t blow you out of the room or shake the walls.
Do you have the 302 or the 302A. The a has a metal mid speaker. The 302 does not. Both are a little shy on the top. I have the 302A.
Also the W70D, not W70. So no advice.

Old thread i know but just another data point. I have b300 bozaks without the added midranges. Also w70d wharfedales. Both speakers are great but the bozaks are outstanding. Even the mid from the 12 is good. I enjoy the w70d sound but when it gets serious the bozaks come on.

The Bozak woofer is limited by the size of the cabinet and the internal stuffing. 5 cu ft gets down to just above 40HZ and then rolls off. It can be extended by proper placement. At 8 cuft it extend to 35 before rolling off and and with 16 cuft it will reach 25 hz. The speakers are rated at 94 db 4 ft 1 watt or about 95.3 in todays terms. Depending on which tweeter you have the highs start rolling off at 10 K with the paper cone 12 k with the 200 Y Aluminum cone and 18 K with with the 200 Z cone. Do not buy the speaker if the midrange has the paper cone. You want. 209 B or BC.with the Aluminium cone. most Bozak owner listen at 1 to 2 watt levels or lower with occasional peaks requiring 20 watts for loud passage. I used a MC 240 for years with my early Bozaks and was very happy. I use 7 channel HT. amps today with my Bozaks and the rear and side channels seldom see 4 watts. The front channels rarely much over 20 watts and the center maybe 40 for. special effect. I don't use subs. Why when I have a total of SIXTEEN 12" Bozak woofers? The total system is down 3 db at 23 hz. If I got two more Concert bands and added the additional 8 woofers only they would couple with the original R and L 8 woofers and reach 18 HZ before rolling off. There was a customer in Dallas that added another 16 cu ft for a total of 32 cu ft for each one of his Grands and he easily reached below 20 HZ, just like Rudy did with his "Big Bertha with 8 woofers for automobile testing at a production plant. Testing for rattles and vibrations etc. and reducing road noise.

Had both refurbed....and...although both are bargains for the asking prices these days, the Bozak wins in my opinion. Marantz is a great match and the metal tweeters on the Bozaks are far, far superior to the earlier paper version.

Back
Top Bottom