1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Wharfedale W60 crossover inductor soldering

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by ggizzy, Sep 17, 2018.

1. ggizzy

ggizzy Well-Known Member

Hello-

I have a pair of these speakers which are in need of a bit of crossover restore. I had replaced the L-pads in both as they were beyond redemption. Both speakers were working but I had wanted to tweak the resistor values. While inside the cab, I thought that inductor looked like it might have had a cold solder joint. I tried to reflow the joint at 400, 450, and finally 500 briefly but to no avail. I am unable to get the lead from the inductor to solder to the tag on the outside!

I have a pencil tip on my Weller station now but I have several other tips available. Is that the trick for this thick inductor wire? Even higher temp? was afraid of damaging the contact even though I have the heat clips on ther other side...any help is appreciated!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. VanArn

VanArn Member

For some years the Wharfedale company supplied aluminium wire inductors in their crossover networks. There are specially formulated solders suitable to rework the joints but it may pay to have a unused spare solder tip set aside to use exclusively for aluminium soldering. Wharfedale used an ultrasonic tinning solder pot for this function. A remade aluminium solder joint should be sealed from the air to prevent oxidation.

3. ggizzy

ggizzy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. I have a few spare tips that I could use. Could you tell me what type of solder I will need to use and if I should use flux with it? Also is it something I could order from parts express or the like? Many thanks,

Chris

4. VanArn

VanArn Member

There are a number of products that can be obtained via Amazon or eBay. The main candidates are, the Harris Al Solder 500 kit , Kappaloy 9 al solder and Uniweld P4KD9 kit. I have used Multicore Alu-Sol 45DH but a reel of this speciality solder is on the expensive side for your repair project. The products mentioned either incorporate a core of flux within the solder or are supplied with a seperate paste flux.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  5. ggizzy

ggizzy Well-Known Member

Thank you, they are on the expensive side but I likely don’t have a choice here... I will be ordering one of the above. Thanks for your time and help!

6. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

W60 crossovers show up on frequently on eBay. Right now there is a set for a W60D, and a W60E

W60D
    5CF1622B-7FD5-4988-9C02-52650B4297DE.jpeg
    EE8B9BD4-5FFC-443F-B7CC-FE3BCC317CED.jpeg
    2310E4AA-E04A-476F-BF55-ECCA588C2FBF.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.