What amp drives your Infinities?

When listening to my RS1/a/b I have an Adcom GFA-555 Mk II on the woofer towers, and an Aragon 4004 Mk II on the mid/tweeter panels. At some point in the not too distant future, I will use the Aragon 4004 for the lower-midrange, an Adcom GFA-5500 for the upper midrange, and a Pass Labs Class A Amp-Camp-Amp for the tweeters (using a minidsp 4x10 HD for a crossover).

This is a topic that I spent a great deal of time researching after I upgraded from RSM’s to the amp killing Kappa 9’s. Initially I thought I would have to sell them as I couldn’t afford the cost of the amps, based on advice from local audiophile discussion groups here in Australia.

I eventually purchased [new] a UK based Nord adcoustics 4 channel D Class amp using Hypex NCore NC502MP amp modules that puts out 500w per channel into 4 ohms. I have run the Kappa 9’s flat out for hours on extended mode and the amp hasn’t missed a beat. It cost me £1,400 (USD$1,800 or AUD$2,500) plus shipping. I bought the 4-6 channel model rather than the slightl chesp 2-4 channel option for the larger case so that if there is too much heat (it gets hot here in Aus) I can modify by putting a big heat sink in the case. But so far so good, I don’t think I will need to do it. The for the record, Hypex confirmed by a series of email exchanges, after being supplied a copy of the Kappa 9 imdpedence graph, that thei amp modules would cope with the 0.8ohm loads that you get with the Kappa 9’s.

There are other more affordable options than spending $25,000 on a pair of Krell Monoblocks, which is what the some of the audiophile crowd told me was the ONLY way I would hear the Kappa 9’s Singtel their full potential. I was even told my one forum member that he thought I was “suicidal” for going down this route. Maybe some of these old blokes need to be open to new technologies and products. I got my advice from a professional audio electronics engineer. I just think someone who has spent $25k+ on amps doesn’t want to hear that I can buy something for around $2k that can do 95% of what their amp does.

I wold be curious to here how my Kappas would sound if I ran the mids and uppers from a valve amp, but unsure what I would need to spend for something that matches the Hypex amps driving the woofers - any advice of feedback would be appreciated. I would love to know if it would make that much of a difference........

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-mp-nc500-4-6-channel-amplifier-black

(Edit: photos attached - taken from Nord’s website)

07A848D8-1483-4621-957C-5950B25F771B.jpeg

177FE04E-6FE7-467A-A553-1E4C8DB5AB72.jpeg

Last edited:
I want to hear a pair, properly amplified, in a proper room. as much of a fan as I am of my RS 2b,(and I prefer them over any of the Kappa series I've owned) I'd like to hear the QLS.

Ah, well.

Some day, maybe.

BTW, nice collage of the American flag, Canadian flag, and the all important freak flag! (Tie Dye)

Thanks Jazzman, if you ever visit the beautiful San Francisco Bay Area, look me up for little music, beer, smoke, and BBQ!

Here's a shot of the new acoustic panels.

DSCF6288.JPG

My RS1b's are driven by a Threshold T100 on the mid/tw panels, and a NAD 218 THX on the bass towers. I have a 2nd T100 in need of repair, which may end up as a bridged pair to drive the mid/tw panels.

I power my infinity’s with Carver power. No back breakers here 2 Tfm-25s

View attachment 1389763
I tell you what, I couldn't deal with that little infinity overture speaker listing like it does.. would make my ocd go nuts.
Seriously. like the first thing I zoned in on when I see the picture.
The second thing is how the right kappa is almost perfectly parallel to the screen. Some things just make my brain short out. LOL!

oh, and I really am quite enthralled with the sound quality of my TFM-25, that amp sounds so damn sweet! I'm really amazed it's not a true magnetic field (triac) carver.

Funny, in my first post on this thread I discuss my modest Onkyo receiver driving RS-8b's well. This was in 2014 when I got back to this hobby after a long hiatus:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....s-your-infinities.286447/page-14#post-7636751

Well, things have changed a bit since then...now I have Infinity RS-II's, driven by Emotiva SA-250 (clean 400 W @ 4 Ohm per channel), and just got my first tube pre-amp, Dilvpoetry TUBE-6J1. Emotiva is great match for the power hungry RS-II's (weaker Onkyo A9070 integrated ran out of power going into protection), and the tubes indeed bring smoothnes and pleasentness to the sound compared to using A-9070 as a pre-amp.

20190214_173145.jpg

I tell you what, I couldn't deal with that little infinity overture speaker listing like it does.. would make my ocd go nuts.
Seriously. like the first thing I zoned in on when I see the picture.
The second thing is how the right kappa is almost perfectly parallel to the screen. Some things just make my brain short out. LOL!

oh, and I really am quite enthralled with the sound quality of my TFM-25, that amp sounds so damn sweet! I'm really amazed it's not a true magnetic field (triac) carver.
The TFM-25 is a great amplifier, used one as the main amp driving my Infintys for more than two decades, along with two TFM-15cb amps for the center channel (bridged) and the rear surrounds.

Currently running twin Belles amps to bi-amp the Infintys.

fd2aa93d76dcfeabaabf88eb455aceeb (2).jpg
20160817_235316.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

I have a BAT VK-200 driving my 7 Kappa's. 100w into 8 ohms, 200 into 4 ohms. The 7's are a fairly easy load compared to it's bigger brothers so this amp is in idle most of the time. Real happy with the combination.

My little humble Infinity setup is a pair ofIMG_1735.jpg Primus III`s/w a 12" passive RS subwoofer in my car garage powered by a Sony receiver STR-DE135, which hasn`t been turned off in nearly 20 years after purchase and installation in 2000.

I am wondering what’s powering your infinitesimals and also if you’re using them for home theater.
Hi, The 4 infinitesimals are driven by Yamaha’s
M-85 amplifier. Fills in odd/corner areas,with main system....
Or as a sub system with infinity ssw 212 for TV
The m-85 wires up all at 4ohms...a-1 sound !!

My Kappa 9's are driven by 4 Krell KMA 160 monoblocks--they love the challenge, since they are rated (in the manuals) clear down to a 1 ohm load. I used to use a pair of Aragon 4004's, and they served well.

Hi, The 4 infinitesimals are driven by Yamaha’s
M-85 amplifier. Fills in odd/corner areas,with main system....
Or as a sub system with infinity ssw 212 for TV
The m-85 wires up all at 4ohms...a-1 sound !!
I have a pair of infinitesimal 0.2 matched with a powered Logitech sub. The infinitesimals are powered by a Denon AVR-1913 receiver. I hope to have an Atmos system with six infinitesimals and a pair of RSll-B for music someday.

My Infinitesimal 4's are the rears in the 5.1 HT system, driven by Onkyo TX-SR700 receiver, which also drives the center speaker. The Infinity RS-IIIa mains are driven by a dedicated Onkyo A-9070 amp, and then the sub is a powered one. Taking the mains and sub load away from the receiver leaves it plenty head room to drive the three speakers in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom