What are the top vintage Pioneer turntables?

ddarch

I've used the PL-41 and the PL-12d. They were good, not great, mid-fi tables. I was wondering where those two models fall in the Pioneer line up, and what, if any, were better tables in the Pioneer line?

Dave

It's not just an issue of where it was in the lineup, but what year. The PL-41 is from 1966, the 12D from 1972. To put these in perspective, they updated the PL-41 to the PL-41DC in 1972 and it sold for twice what the 12D did. But in general, especially as you go through the '70s, within each series the belt models were at the bottom, followed by direct drive, and then quartz when it was introduced. The specs increased going up the line, but often most models in the series shared the same tonearm. So the difference in sound quality wouldn't be as dramatic as you might expect.

Also you might see the PL-12D or any particular manual belt model as the lowest model, but that was only because it was manual. The PL-15D and PL-17D were the same, but higher in the series because they were semi- and full auto respectively.

IMO the arms and sonic character improved with time, and the best tts were the quartz, direct drive models from '76 through '79. PL-550, 570, 610, 630, 600. I know someone's going to mention the PLC-590, but that came without an arm.

It is really hard to judge turntables over too long of a time span. The OEM's were killing themselves trying to attract buyers and the TT's were constantly "improved" I have several TT that are in the Pioneer line, but the one I use and really like is the lowly PL-7. I like it because it has one of my best cartridge/stylus combos and it sounds pretty good!!! It also came out in 1982 I believe. I have a PL-55DX that looks fantastic, but the way it is set up now it's only average. If you are asking about the best of OEM Pioneer TT/Cart/Styli setups------>That is really a study that might be fun, but I haven't heard them all. This is sorta like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate. It comes down to personal preference and too many variables.

This is the only definition for mid-fi out there in the world I can find...

Mid-Fi is an independent record label formed by the American rock and roll band The Supersuckers in 2001.

This is the only definition for mid-fi out there in the world I can find...

Mid-Fi is an independent record label formed by the American rock and roll band The Supersuckers in 2001.

Of course, one could say that Billy Gibbons implied it with: "Hi-fo, lo-fi, no-fi any-fi is just fine with me ..."

Richard

The X-10 and PL-61, sold as a chassis units were great.

The PL-70 gets my vote as top of the tops, however.

The "civilised" version of the PLC-590, the PL-630 is to consider too. All automatic or all manual modes, Direct Drive and Quartz.

Mine beats my Denon DCD-3520 cd player by a small margin... which means it's quite good ! Though I never had the chance to compare it to another Pioneer TT...

The PL-520 is a solid performer in the DD category... have owned three of them and always had a soft spot for them.

John

I've got a PL-5 and a PL-S70 with staight tonearms. I don't remember what I paid for them and wonder if they're considered low/medium/top grade TTs? I am always amazed at the huge number of models Pioneer produced through the years !

I think the best ones probably rank this way (in descending order):

Exclusive P3a ( Almost certainly the absolute best TT Pioneer ever made. Japan-market only, massive and beautifully-veneered plinth, over-engineered "statement" turntable.)

Exclusive P10 ('Lightweight" version of the P3a, but still a complete 'beast' of a turntable!)

PL-L1 (Ultra-rare Japan-market only linear-tracking "statement" turntable. It was the prototype/predecessor to the more affordable PL-L1000)

PLC-590 (Sometimes written PL-C590, and part of the "Series 20" line-up. The only turntable Pioneer sold without a tonearm, so audiophiles could choose to mount their own (SME 3009 was recommended) although Pioneer also offered two possible tonearm choices for it.)

PL-630 (Similar to PL-C590 in many important respects, but fully automatic.)

PL-L1000 (Pioneer's more successful, if lighter-weight, successor to the PL-L1)

I've SEEN every one of these models, and own two of them (PL-L1 and PLC-590). There are pics and information on most (all?) of them on The Vintage Knob website.

this is the only definition for mid-fi out there in the world i can find...

Mid-fi is an independent record label formed by the american rock and roll band the supersuckers in 2001.

it's pretty good

Attachments

• UPAS04.JPG
    UPAS04.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 108
Vintage, you say?
Pioneer, you say?

...All of them.

Unlike Garrard, where the low end models are world class lemons with faulty motors (Mainly the model 3000, which was designed to break down, rather than to play records), even low end Pioneers will still give you excellent service.

I think the best ones probably rank this way (in descending order):

Exclusive P3a ( Almost certainly the absolute best TT Pioneer ever made. Japan-market only, massive and beautifully-veneered plinth, over-engineered "statement" turntable.)

Exclusive P10 ('Lightweight" version of the P3a, but still a complete 'beast' of a turntable!)

PL-L1 (Ultra-rare Japan-market only linear-tracking "statement" turntable. It was the prototype/predecessor to the more affordable PL-L1000)

PLC-590 (Sometimes written PL-C590, and part of the "Series 20" line-up. The only turntable Pioneer sold without a tonearm, so audiophiles could choose to mount their own (SME 3009 was recommended) although Pioneer also offered two possible tonearm choices for it.)

PL-630 (Similar to PL-C590 in many important respects, but fully automatic.)

PL-L1000 (Pioneer's more successful, if lighter-weight, successor to the PL-L1)

I've SEEN every one of these models, and own two of them (PL-L1 and PLC-590). There are pics and information on most (all?) of them on The Vintage Knob website.
Correct but with one addendum.
The P3a was to the Exclusive line what the GT 2000x was to the Gigantic and Tremendous Line for Yamaha.A refinement of their Top Turntable(in Yamaha's case the GT 2000).
The P3a was a refinement of the Exclusive P3.

Similar to Yamaha's GTs,in that the P3a,P3 and P10 were never sold in Nth America,and rarely outside of Japan.Though apparently Europe may have seen a few of each model released(less than a dozen of each,possibly)

Arkay has possibly heard all of them(the models he posted about)and the Yamaha GTs.

I,and two other AKers(Badger and Mark.B) own GT 2000s.Badge and myself are in agreement that they are the best turntable we've heard.Mark hasn't used his yet.
The P3 is probably on a par with the GT 2000.The P3a is probably on a par with the GT 2000x.

The Vintage Knob has posted a group test of the 'Ultra Turntables'(of the era,not all-inclusive) from Japanese magazine Stereo Sound.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/MISCELLANEOUS/SS1980TT/SS1980TT.html

This should not be taken as the be all and end all test of Japanese Direct Drive turntables(nor the best of Japanese turntables,Belt or Direct Drive)because too many of the 'heavy hitters' are not included.

This was probably the best turntable of that era:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/THEVAULT1/SZ1/SZ1.html

There was one(supposedly) for sale on Audiogon (12 months ago?).Sold for $19,000 US.(Second-Hand) :smoke:

Back
Top Bottom