What are you listening to on your reel to reel right now?

Actually in the auction I got both 30 ips and 15 ips versions. I don't have a 30 ips capable deck so I sold the 30 ips tapes and kept the 15s.
Good move! I have a few master tapes from my wife's WB studio days that are 30 IPS. I was thinking of purchasing and modifying a Studer to play them at home, but when I added up all the costs, it didn't seem worth it for a handful of tapes. When I dig them out of storage, I plan on sending them out for digitizing and will get 15 IPS copies made at the same time.

Jefferson Starship "Blows Against The Empire" (1970, RCA Records, @ 3/34 ips)
One of my favorites, and one of the early "concept" albums. This recording session was the first to use the "Starship" name, and became a hangout for many San Francisco musicians. David Crosby, Graham Nash, Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Billy Kreutzman, and Joey Covington all made musical contributions to this project.
As the saying goes, "They don`t make `em like this anymore"....

View attachment 855085
sadly recalled Paul's passing yesterday... a full yr ago

I am presently recording from vinyl, King Crimson "Discipline" - 1982, onto Maxell UD 35-90 (N).
On the flip side, King Crimson "Beat" - 1983

Using the Pioneer RT-707 at 7.5 IPS

What a great machine!

'Machine'??? What great taste in music !!!!

I was going through tape withdrawal, so I went to storage and dug out the Akai 747 I recently packed up. Wife gave an angry look as she watched me unpack it, but I don't formally close on the house for another week and recently received a great collection of Funk tapes that I just could not wait to listen to. Some great stuff on these 10.5" reels: while some content is familiar (e.g. Brick, Cameo, The Graingers, etc.) most is obscure enough to stump both me and Shazam. Appear to be 1978-1982 era and source appears to be tape (no vinyl noise evident). I think many of these are 12" singles from a club mix: just listened to The Evasions "Wikka Wrap" (1981). I'm stuck listening through wireless headphones, but nonetheless, very much back in pure bliss!
IMG_4877.JPGIMG_4878.JPG

Last edited:
My buddy let me borrow this and I recorded it. Wow!IMG_0335[1].JPG IMG_0337[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0336[1].JPG
    IMG_0336[1].JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0337[1].JPG
    IMG_0337[1].JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 2
Hendrix "Electric Ladyland" (1968, Reprise Records, @ 3 3/4 ips)

Even after 49 years, this album never fails to impress !
upload_2017-1-31_1-3-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-31_0-59-2.png
    upload_2017-1-31_0-59-2.png
    576.8 KB · Views: 1
I was going through tape withdrawal, so I went to storage and dug out the Akai 747 I recently packed up. Wife gave an angry look as she watched me unpack it, but I don't formally close on the house for another week and recently received a great collection of Funk tapes that I just could not wait to listen to. Some great stuff on these 10.5" reels: while some content is familiar (e.g. Brick, Cameo, The Graingers, etc.) most is obscure enough to stump both me and Shazam. Appear to be 1978-1982 era and source appears to be tape (no vinyl noise evident). I think many of these are 12" singles from a club mix: just listened to The Evasions "Wikka Wrap" (1981). I'm stuck listening through wireless headphones, but nonetheless, very much back in pure bliss!
View attachment 860529View attachment 860530

Good for you for busting back out the deck...and very cool on the tape score!!!

King Crimson - Red - in honor of John Wetton's passing
15 ips 2-track reel tape (homemade transfer of 96/24 Steven Wilson remix)

IMG_7658.JPG

upload_2017-2-2_16-35-11.png Jethro Tull "Benefit" (1970, Reprise Records, @ 3 3/4 ips)
I had been pretty well knocked out by "Stand Up", but "Benefit" was a strong follow-up (and setting the stage for the yet-to-come "Aqualung"). I was definitely infatuated with the early Tull albums....

When it first came available on MFSL's gold CD - it was a 'have-to-have'. Biggest thrill was opening the insert to find the band - true to form - STANDING UP !! Just like the orig LP. And "This Was" !! Great band.

Just finished up recording "HEROES OF WOODSTOCK" on A-2300 w/Maxell UD. Sounds quite acceptable :)

Back
Top Bottom