What are you listening to on your reel to reel right now?

38118540986_b07a2db563_b.jpg

Sinatra at the Sands

Frank Sinatra
Count Basie & the Orchestra, Arranged & Conducted by Quincy Jones

1966 Reprise W2-FS-1029 4-Track 3¾ IPS
Recorde LIve in the Copa Room April, 1966.

My CD/LP/TAPE Collection

Max and R-2-R;

Gotta give that one a like!

I watched an auction for an Ampex 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' tape, a while ago. In photos of the reel, there was enough tape there that it could have been recorded a 7 1/2 ips. I have never seen IB tapes at 7 1/2 ips.

I wrote the seller and asked if there was anything else on it. He wrote back to say, 'you never know'.

I dropped the $20 and S&H for it. To me, I made a great buy. He had spliced a 'Heavy' album on, in front of IAGDV. I undid the splice and found an empty reel for it. Wound it up on that.

He had a LZ ll tape up that looked just like that, too. Too much tape for a 3 3/4 ips album.

What a deal,

Lu.

Actually, there are at least these 2 Iron Butterfly albums that exist in 7.5 ips versions (these are mine):

7005EC18-A839-4923-B0CF-E4E8BEB70AB9.jpeg

A couple (on one tape) from the Don Scaletta Trio
Capitol/EMI 1965
Has the wonderful Biasonic sound, but my pleasure wasn't really doubled listening at 3-3/4 IPS. In any event, Don sure plays nice in a trio format and over 80 min on a tape ain't bad.
IMG_6960.JPG

Max and R-2-R;

Gotta give that one a like!

I watched an auction for an Ampex 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' tape, a while ago. In photos of the reel, there was enough tape there that it could have been recorded a 7 1/2 ips. I have never seen IB tapes at 7 1/2 ips.
know'.

Lu.
Yeah, they exist....
upload_2017-11-13_22-26-21.png

Skylab and Maxx;

I knew that 'Metamorphosis' is at 7 1/2 ips. but I don't have a copy. 'Matter of fact, I've never heard it and don't have a record either. I kind of got disinterested when Panera joined up.

I have the first three, all at 3 3/4 ips., though.

So that's what I meant to write.

Lu.

Skylab and Maxx;

I knew that 'Metamorphosis' is at 7 1/2 ips. but I don't have a copy. 'Matter of fact, I've never heard it and don't have a record either. I kind of got disinterested when Panera joined up.

I have the first three, all at 3 3/4 ips., though.

So that's what I meant to write.

Lu.
I just got a pretty good score over on that popular auction site by The Bay....a 5 CD box set of Iron Butterfly, new, still sealed, for $16....not bad.

I've still only made one tape so far, 1800' tape, at 7.5ips with the following

Hotel California
Shook me all night long
Sweetest Taboo
Ready or Not
Sexual Healing
Still rock n roll to me

Nice one Apachef. I've been meaning to pull the trigger on a different tape from Yarlung. How's their stuff? Is it typically on Ampex 456?

Nice one Apachef. I've been meaning to pull the trigger on a different tape from Yarlung. How's their stuff? Is it typically on Ampex 456?

Just the metal reel is Ampex, tape is RTM. Tape A has some issues with the opening movement, as if the mic is to close to the drum or the hall is dead and not bass friendly, very muddy to almost distorted. After the first movement the tape cleans up and sounds pleasant but nothing to strike me and pay 400.00. I have a vinyl import copy of Mahler 5 that sounds better. Tape B is much better, almost as if recorded in another hall or some mic adjustments were made.

Yarlung's Smoke & Mirrors is phenomenal sound but may not be for everyone on content.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom